a teenager needs advice

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:43 pm
Hello,

With respect to you all, i need advice and suggestions to improve my english. I can read, write and do every other thing that an average person does, but that's not what i am aiming at. I want to be a lawyer when i grow up. I am 17 years old and second last year in my high school period. Now that i have decided to be what i want to pursue in life. I have this animosity that my english isn't as good as it needs to be to get in law school. I want to excel in every academic manner. That is by improving my english drastically.

I've heard that by reading complex texts and the newspaper i can develope and nurture this skill but the thing is how can i read complicated texts if i can't understand what they are trying to convey. Newspapers i can understand but there are a few words i don't understand. I need a pathway on how i can improve my english. I want to reach a higher plateau and really want to put my english to a level where i feel good about it and right now i don't. So please i need advice from you folks on what should i do that will help me read, write, better vocabulary, analyze and understand the english language much better so i can be a great lawyer. My english isn't mediocre but i want to get much better. I hope its not too late!

So please how should i go about doing this.

Thank-you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:02 pm
You write clearly and concisely. That will be whipped out of you in law school. (Just kidding) You write better thaan I do aand youre 17? I suggest that you read aanything. Dont concentrate on reading James Joyce when Marrk Twain can say it with a smile. Devour everything you can lay your hands on and keep a mental journal of the differences in styles, how compelling one style is over another and, most important dont be impressed with huge words as inserts. I can always tell a younger writer, they have this need to be erudite. Thhey want to, by inserting ten dollar words, be taken as "really smart". Well, not so. Learn to write to be understood , not to impress. Most people here are well educated and many teach . Everyone has thheir own unique style of writing and their preferences in reading. If you are well rounded from your visits into literature, youll be ready for lawschool.Because you must learn to write to convince another or , at least have them become sympathetic to your point of view
There are a couple of real writers in this crew,I sure as hell aint one of them, but each one has a different style of communicating , but i find each one a reading treat on its own.
Oh yeh , real impoortant to your writing style BE BRIEF.

As far as your vocabulary, as you read and expose yourself to each writers style, you will pull more words into your broad recognized vocabulary. Your working vocabulary, you will soon learn, must change like a chameleon if you wish to be understood by your audience. Sometimes you will talk like your homies and other times you wil wish to be more precise and concise. every so often I get some governmental bulletins and study them to realize how I do not wish to sound. Often the most pompous writing is done by the dullest people who sit in an office and crank out poorly worded texts on things like
"proper sanitation and vector eradication in equine medicine establishments" or "Keeping horse barns clean and bug free"
0 Replies

yas futurelaw

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:47 am
Thanks for your reply Farmerman. One question based on what you just asserted, I still can't fathom when you say, "keep a mental journal of the differences in styles, how compelling one style is over another". What are you trying to imply, if you can comment more on this, it would be great. Do you have any suggestions for me on what courses to take in Grade 12, since its going to be my last year and i don't want to take redundant courses. Suggestions from you and everyone else would be avid.

Thank-you once again. Very Happy
0 Replies

Aurora Dark

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:29 pm
I have a small suggestion...
When reading a work with difficult words, always keep a small dictionary beside you. Look up words immediately when you don't understand them.
It sounds tiresome, but it really helped me quite a bit when I was trying to expand my vocabulary. If it's a word you really wish to know, reread the definition a few times over, and practice with it throughout the week.

Just a small tip Wink

As far as writing goes...

Write ALL THE TIME. Choose topics that are varied and sometimes difficult (a challenge is a good thing, those can compell you to improve quickly Wink). Look around, find a random object. Write a paragraph describing it. Take a drink, describe the taste. Touch the carpet, describe the texture. Etc etc.
Unusual descriptions really broaden the imagination... not because of the ideas, but also the word choice. You start to learn what word choice frustrates you, and what phrases you love.
But to make this work, make sure that you never remove sentences! When you're writing, just keep going, no matter how bad the work sounds. Keep writing and finish it until you have a decent amount of words on the paper. A HUGE aspect of improving writing (or anything similar) is to accept that sometimes it won't sound so good, but Practice Makes Perfect, so just keep going, no matter what.
If you want to take it a step further, rewrite a few of these works. Re-edit them several times over (don't be afraid to get advice from others also!) until you have the best product you can Smile

Hope any of that helps ^_^
0 Replies