Usage of "resoundingly"

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:17 am
The online dictionary freedictionary, to resound means to talk about or to make a loud sound. It gives an example: news that resounded throughout the nation.

I am going to use it as an adverb.

(1) The swimmer's record-breaking performance resoundingly made news.

(2) The media resoundingly reported on Dr. Brown's amazing time machine which allowed people to travel through time.

Am I using the adverb correctly? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 564 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 04:34 pm
I remember: adverbs can modify both nouns and verbs.
camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 05:36 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I remember: adverbs can modify both nouns and verbs.

A wee bit more than that and not as much as you misremember, Punkey.

M-W: adverb

: a word belonging to one of the major form classes in any of numerous languages, typically serving as a modifier of a verb, an adjective, another adverb, a preposition, a phrase, a clause, or a sentence, expressing some relation of manner or quality, place, time, degree, number, cause, opposition, affirmation, or denial, and in English also serving to connect and to express comment on clause content In “arrived early” the word “early” is an adverb.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 04:04 am
@ansonman,
There's a difference between using something correctly and using it well. When something is resounding it stands out, and in your examples the wrong part stands out. It is the swimmers' performance that stands out, not the way it makes the news, and it would have to be a very slow news day for it to push all the other stories into second place.

The swimmer resoundingly broke the previous record.
The success of Dr Brown's time machine resoundingly smashed our understanding of physics.

Btw, ignore Camlok he's an attention seeker with a load of crackpot views who has been put on ignore by most people on A2K. He often takes up a contrary stance in a desperate attempt to be noticed.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 06:37 am
Here's an example of an adverb modifying an adjective:

The swimmer's record-breaking performance made resoundingly good news.

performance/ made/news
good news
(how good?) resoundingly
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There's a difference between using something correctly and using it well.

Now there's typical nutty Izzy advice. Giving advice on English is not Izzy's long suit. I'm not sure what is.
0 Replies