Rice named

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:50 am
Magus wrote:
It appears as if Ambition, Ruthlessness and Arrogance are the qualities deemed most appropriate in our leadership...

Yes, the Democrats really should start trying harder to get better leadership. Maybe they would win more elections if they did that.

Glitterbug wrote:
Magus, you left out amoral and unprincipled, just trying to help.

I think that it's unnecessary to pile on the DNC leadership like that, but if you insist on doing it, I guess it's ok.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:32 am
I was not aware that she had to be confirmed until I read the following article. What if she is not confirmed/ (little chance of that considering the circumstances but) Does she just stay in her current office? What if her current office gets filled? Will she be out of a job? (forgive my ignorance)

Anyway the article said she will likely face tough questions, but I think they are wrong. What they should say is that she should face tough questions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/16/politics/16assess.html?hp&ex=1100667600&en=b0b408b41f55d42c&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Ms. Rice would almost certainly face questions in confirmation hearings about her own role in the period leading up to war with Iraq, and what appeared to be her failures either to warn Mr. Bush about flawed prewar intelligence regarding Iraq's weapons programs or, as Secretary of State Colin L. Powell did, to make dogged efforts of her own to ascertain its accuracy. In September 2002, she said that high-strength aluminum tubes seized en route to Iraq were "only really suited for nuclear weapons programs," though almost a year earlier, her staff had been told that the nation's foremost nuclear experts seriously doubted that the tubes were intended for nuclear weapons.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:34 am
Re: Rice named
dyslexia wrote:
just heard on MSNBC, C. Rice named by Bush to replace Powell. Looks like a lock for the hawks for hte next 4 yrs.

Bush is expected to name a new Secretary of State,in all probability it is Rice, at 1730 GMT.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:32 pm
Excuse me everyone, I thought the remark made was concerning politicians and what they needed to succeed. I didn't reliaze that we were assuming these attibutes only existed in one party. Imagine my surprise.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
A kiss for that one, glitterbag.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:53 pm
I guess Condi can become NFL Commissioner after all Smile
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:53 pm
"Punish France, ignore Germany, and forgive Russia."

So said Condi Rice last year. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say this was a vast over-simplification of her recommendations for American foreign policy.

Actually, no, I'm not.

"Punishing" France is just stupid, because in a global marketplace their financial futures are intrinsically linked to ours. And since this administration so royally screwed up the flu vaccine supply we're relying on the French to supply us with some.

"Ignoring" Germany? The largest economy in Europe? More stupid for the same reasons. We appear to be relying on them (along with the French and the Brits) to negotiate with Iran on nuclear proliferation, since American foreign policy has so undermined our credibility in the Middle East we'd be better off acting like George Costanza as "opposite man."

"Forgiving" Russia simply highlights the criminal hypocrisy of this administration. We're willing to overlook the dismantling of a free media, the re-nationalization of entire industries, the imprisonment of political oppostition leaders, and human rights abuses when it suits us.

But hey, at least we know going in what she thinks.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:11 pm
Sounds like classic "groupthink", the kind cherished by cliques and cults throughout history...
embrace whatever bulloney your "leaders' espouse... ask NO questions, and ignore all contradictions...
"BELIEVE"... and be "ONE".

"DRINK the KOOL-AID!"
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:01 am
McGentrix wrote:

Yes, the Democrats really should start trying harder to get better leadership. Maybe they would win more elections if they did that.

That doesn't really seem like asking for terribly much at this juncture. I mean, how much difference is there between running Kerry for president and running Benedict Arnold for president? Don't you have to figure that if 45% of the population at large is democrats, they might could find a better candidate amongst those 117 milllion losers?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
PDiddie wrote:

"Forgiving" Russia simply highlights the criminal hypocrisy of this administration. We're willing to overlook the dismantling of a free media, the re-nationalization of entire industries, the imprisonment of political oppostition leaders, and human rights abuses when it suits us.

You're talking about those fatcat oligarchs who were sitting there doing their billionaire wannabee thing with Mark rich four years ago when I was reading about Russian people literally starving and women using their one daily food ration coupon for their children while they themselves went hungry??

Vladimir Putin is the best leader that poor ocuntry has ever had since Tsar Peter; if the former oligarchs aren't profiting from it, I'd write that off to bad karma..
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:51 am
"...since Tsar Peter"?

Why am I not surprised that you have so conveniently dismissed and ignored the Empress Katerina II, known to history as "Catherine the Great"?
Sexist much?
Katerina easily ranks as highly as Peter... Katerina continued much of the progress initiated by Peter, combatting Russian xenophobia and continuing the labor of bringing Russia out of the Dark Ages. Under her leadership, Russia greatly expanded the borders of her empire, and secured a place as a peer of the "western" (European) nations.

But I can see why you would be such a fan of the thuggish Putin... who will eventually secure his own place in history amongst other Russian tyrants and despots. I'll not be the slightest bit surprised when Putin shows his true colors and savagely stabs the USA in the back... it's just a matter of time.
But "Gun" will, certainly, come to Putin's defense... no matter HOW much radical gyration ("spin") the task demands... "Gun" consistently exhibits a great admiration of strongarm rulers and dictatorships.

It is my observation that "Gun-snake" tends to see the world as a great big "Pro"wrestling tag-team match... idealizing aggression, hostility and violent conflict.
"Gun", your slavish devotion to puerile Peter Pan ideals is made patent by your every post... allow me to extend my sincere wishes that you get every bit of that which you deserve.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:35 pm
Putin sharpens his knife...
Putin has announced that Russia has developed a new class of nuclear missiles unlike any others currently possessed by other nations.

America breathed a sigh of relief when Reagan announced his negotiation of an INF Treaty with the USSR designed to reduce stockpiles of Nukes...
America credited Reagan with "toppling" the "Evil Empire".

George W. Bush's "friend", Vladimir Putin, seems to be successful in leading a push to undermine the progress made with that Treaty...

"With Friends like these... "
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
Magus wrote:

But "Gun" will, certainly, come to Putin's defense... no matter HOW much radical gyration ("spin") the task demands... "Gun" consistently exhibits a great admiration of strongarm rulers and dictatorships.

Not really. I mean, I voted against Clinton twice...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:30 pm
Catherine the Great was quite fond of, and popular among, her military ... particularly her cavalry. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Catherine the Great was quite fond of, and popular among, her military ... particularly her cavalry. Twisted Evil

Heh heh...nice one Timber. Laughing
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Forgive Russia??? Did Rice actually say that? Maybe she will be better at this diplomacy thing than I originally thought. I also saw the news about Putin's new weapons program. Thank God the Cold War is over and we have a President sharp enough to look in the eyes of the former head of the KGB and pronouce Putin to be a "good man". I suppose the thing that really drives me crazy is that we in this country worry about lip-service while the rest of the world's nations continue to march along in pursuit of their goals. I wonder what amount of our tax payer money was sent to ol' Putin to help him achieve that elusive goal of democracy. Whatever the amount, apparently it wasn't enough or maybe it was way too much.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
Not enough to accomplish anything, but way too much for the result...

I noticed that headline about the Russian bomb, too. Wonder how Bush (the Putin fan) and Condi (the Russia expert) will sort this out.

Stay tuned!
0 Replies