Rice named

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
The hearing room:

"When presented with the memo entitled "bin Laden determined to strike within the US" Ms Rice, did you ask any questions like "Well, he is determined, but does he have the capabilities to cause us any great harm?"
"Senator, I did not think to ask such a question believing it to be beyond the capability of our intelligence operatives"
"Well, isn't it their job to assess such capabilities or isn't it your job to make sure they can assess such things?"
"I am not sure I follow your question."
"What is your job? And why shouldn't you be fired as of now for not knowing what the hell was coming down the pike at us at two hundred and sixty miles an hour?????"

The preceding is an imaginary exchange between Ms. Rice and any Senator with a brain.

Joe

Joe, is it your intention that the US should strike immediately at every threat received by our intelligence agency?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
It's like there's an alternate reality for some of us.

Seems there must be, judgin' from the prevailin' Democratic Party take on most stuff ...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:23 pm
I will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Rice is a sharp cookie, but she will need some serious diplomatic chops to make any head way with Arab leaders. Since I'm a little confused as to what the administration hopes to accomplish in the diplomacy arena, I'll do what everybody else will do and hope for the best.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:28 pm
petites conserves au vinaigre
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:36 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Since I'm a little confused as to what the administration hopes to accomplish in the diplomacy arena, I'll do what everybody else will do and hope for the best.

<grins>
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
Bush wasted little time in filling the cabinet vacancy created by departing Secretary of State Colin Powell:

http://sf.indymedia.org/uploads/oiltanker.jpg

... a 129,000-ton double-hulled oil tanker.

Although some critics consider Rice's selection inappropriate because of her demonstrated incompetence and willingness to lie brazenly under oath, I have to applaud the administration's decision.

The Secretary of State is the de-facto spokesperson (or spokesship, as it were) for US international relations, and the Condoleezza Rice makes an unambiguous statement.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:49 pm
All kidding aside:

Quote:
Joe, is it your intention that the US should strike immediately at every threat received by our intelligence agency?

No, but it probably behooves the National Security Advisor to ask SOME questions beyond what was evident at the 9-11 Commission hearings where she seemed to shrug over any subject that didn't surround her interest in China and the former Soviet Union. Personally, I think she should have been fired on 9-12.

To date she has not given any indication that she understands the nature of modern terrorism, that it is not, as many have pointed out, statebased, that we need a new way of approaching the kind of enemy we now face. In my opinion, Ms Rice ought to have found a good time to resign and gone back to academia where she would have written some good thoughts about Sino-Soviet cultural exchange programs and left the security of the USA in more capable hands.

Joe
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:15 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Bush wasted little time in filling the cabinet vacancy created by departing Secretary of State Colin Powell:

http://sf.indymedia.org/uploads/oiltanker.jpg

... a 129,000-ton double-hulled oil tanker.

Although some critics consider Rice's selection inappropriate because of her demonstrated incompetence and willingness to lie brazenly under oath, I have to applaud the administration's decision.

The Secretary of State is the de-facto spokesperson (or spokesship, as it were) for US international relations, and the Condoleezza Rice makes an unambiguous statement.

The tanker has been renamed, it is now named "Altair Voyager".
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:17 pm
As we are not privvy to every PDB, we have no way of knowing how many threats come in every day. We have no way of knowing which threats are credible and which are the ramblings of madmen.

While I expect the leaders of our country to be the very best at their jobs, I do not expect them to be miracle workers.

I think you are wrong in your evaluation of Dr. Rice. I believe she has a better understanding of the nature of modern terrorism than any person or group of persons on this board and probably most people in government.

As Sec. of State, I expect she will perform her duties extraordinarily well and will be a fine replacement for the esteemed Colin Powell.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:25 pm
And I think you are whistling past the graveyard, good luck to you.

Good luck to us.

Joe
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:59 pm
Well Skippy, I hope you know what you are talking about.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
It appears as if Ambition, Ruthlessness and Arrogance are the qualities deemed most appropriate in our leadership...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
Magus, you left out amoral and unprincipled, just trying to help.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:13 pm
glitterbag wrote:

Only if you're talking about Kofi Annan, Cherac, or a few of the moolah-mullahs in Iran Smile
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:01 am
McGentrix wrote:
.We have no way of knowing which threats are credible and which are the ramblings of madmen.

oh? perhaps taking heed of what the previous administration tells you on the way out would be of benefit. then, something like this would be meaningful;

the memo entitled "bin Laden determined to strike within the US"

seems pretty clear to me.

but bush said; "there was nothing to react to".

isn't it the bush administration and their party that keeps harping that clinton ( of course, the source of all evil ) didn't take care?

the rap that some of the right are putting out attempts to say that there was no islamist terrorism until clinton was sworn in.

like the tehran hostage thing never happened in '79.

guys. don't pee on my foot and tell me it's rainin'...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:27 am
JustWonders wrote:
glitterbag wrote:

Only if you're talking about Kofi Annan, Cherac, or a few of the moolah-mullahs in Iran Smile

It's nice to see that as certain A2K members reach the twilight of their lives there are youngsters coming up to replace them......sort of warms the heart...... :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:33 am
I am personally quite pleased that rice has been officially named. Although I have been calling those little, seemingly insignificant grains 'rice' for years, I hadn't a clue that the term had no real status. It's nice to see rice elevated to the position in the ranks of edible products that it deserves.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:37 am
cavfancier wrote:
I am personally quite pleased that rice has been officially named. Although I have been calling those little, seemingly insignificant grains 'rice' for years, I hadn't a clue that the term had no real status. It's nice to see rice elevated to the position in the ranks of edible products that it deserves.

I don't want to think of how much liquor it would take for me to eat that rice......
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:42 am
Bear, you have no idea the puns I resisted.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:50 am
cavfancier wrote:
Bear, you have no idea the puns I resisted.

I feel certain there was a generous cornucopia of such.... :wink:
0 Replies