I read the news today, Oh boy, Oh boy.

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:41 pm
Following inquiries by ABC News, the Pentagon has dropped plans to force a severely wounded U.S. soldier to repay his enlistment bonus after injuries had forced him out of the service.
Army Spc. Tyson Johnson III of Mobile, Ala., who lost a kidney in a mortar attack last year in Iraq, was still recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center when he received notice from the Pentagon's own collection agency that he owed more than $2,700 because he could not fulfill his full 36-month tour of duty.
Johnson said the Pentagon listed the bonus on his credit report as an unpaid government loan, making it impossible for him to rent an apartment or obtain credit cards.
"Oh man, I felt betrayed," Johnson said. "I felt, like, oh, my heart dropped."

Pentagon officials said they were unaware of the case until it was brought to their attention by ABC News. "Some faceless bureaucrat" was responsible for Johnson's predicament, said Gen. Franklin "Buster" Hagenbeck, a three-star general and the Army's deputy chief of staff for personnel.

"It's absolutely unacceptable. It's intolerable," said Hagenbeck. "I mean, I'm incredulous when I hear those kinds of things. I just can't believe that we allow that to happen. And we're not going to let it happen."

The Department of Defense and the Army intervened to have the collection action against Johnson stopped, said Hagenbeck.

"I was told today he's not going to have a nickel taken from him," he said. "And I will tell you that we'll keep a microscope on this one to see the outcome."
'Not So Good'
Hagenbeck also pledged to look into the cases of the other soldiers ABC News brought to the military's attention, including men who lost limbs and their former livelihoods after serving in Iraq.
"When you're in the military, they take good care of you," said the 23-year-old Johnson.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 949 • Replies: 15
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:00 pm
Dys
ABC's 20/20 documented the horrible treatment of some of our disabled youth by the military. One soldier in a coma was order to repay his re-enlistment bonus because he didn't report to duty.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
Maybe he's a democrat...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:14 pm
No. I take that back. I didn't think.
But still, to me it sounds like the guy got ground in the federal machinery, where there was no person there to look after the numbers. If not, uh-oh....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:16 pm
They just dont give a ****.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:24 pm
nimh wrote:
They just dont give a ****.

I always thought that was god, but these days, god, the military, what's the difference?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:28 pm
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/199200_wounded11.html

Quote:
Thursday, November 11, 2004

Wounded veterans face new fight to secure government benefits

By MIKE BARBER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

PRIEST RIVER, Idaho -- Some evenings as Joe and Jackie Davis cuddle up near the wood stove in their remote, rustic home to watch television, Jackie uses a needle to pluck slivers of Iraqi shrapnel that Joe's skin has cloaked in scar tissue and seems to pull to the surface.

Davis, a Washington National Guardsman who turned 23 last week, was peppered head-to-foot by shrapnel by an Iraqi mortar round near Baghdad on Feb. 29. The explosion so badly shredded his legs that surgeons considered amputation.

An hour down the road in Spokane, former Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Ian Anderson, also 23, who returned last year to near celebrity as one of Washington's first servicemen wounded in Iraq, has applied for welfare to pay his 2-year-old daughter's doctor bills.

On April. 6, 2003, Anderson was with an elite Marine reconnaissance unit spearheading the invasion of Iraq when an Iraqi ambush near Baghdad felled him, bullets piercing his knees, thigh and shoulder.

Today, when the nation honors those who have served their nation, Davis and Anderson are reminders that the fight for many veterans continues after they have left the battlefield. Their story is both fresh and old -- one that casualties of battles from Gettysburg to Hue could recognize.

The government for whom they shed their blood will help, but only after agonizing waits. There are too many Joe Davises and Ian Andersons, and the Department of Veterans Affairs has too few resources to help them all.

The VA says it's working to cut the backlog, but that's little immediate help for Anderson or Davis.

"For a lot of people in my situation, the problems didn't start in Iraq; they started when we got back home," Anderson says. "When they gave me the Purple Heart, I wanted to throw it back, not at the person who gave it to me -- I admired him. I was disgusted with my treatment."

Davis has not met Anderson but shares a painful, frustrating homecoming.

"The military left a real bitter taste in my mouth. I went to Iraq and with the intention of doing some good, but it seems like no one there wants us. What was it for?"

Anderson and Davis are among more than 250 Washingtonians wounded in action in Iraq since March 2003. More than 8,100 U.S. troops nationwide have been wounded in action in Iraq as of last week.

While public attention focuses on those killed in Iraq, the frustrating experiences of the wounded, physically and mentally, are often overlooked, says David Chasteen, board member of Operation Truth. The New York-based, non-profit, non-partisan group was created six months ago for veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Operation Truth

Likely some poor fool enlistee will go to this website for help and, in thirty years or so, be slammed by patriotic partisans for being "a traitor."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:31 pm
Perhaps he didn't have one of those yellow ribbons on his SUV, perhaps he didn't even have a an SUV. Oh well, he probably can't drive for awhile anyway after losing a kidney. I'm beginning to wonder if he was a Kucinich supporter. I bet Kerry woulda given him a life-time supply of Ketchup.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
I wonder how much it hurts to lose a kidney?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:49 pm
Dys wrote:
Perhaps he didn't have one of those yellow ribbons on his SUV,

You know, that's one of those things that really drives me nuts. I see all these 100 thousand dollar SUV's driving around with those magnetic ribbons on them and I know, in the bottom of my heart, that those people really have no clue. They stop at the convenience store to buy some gas, are extremely irritated to discover the "pay at the pump" option doesn't work, so they have to go inside to pay for their gas. They feel uncomfortable talking to the middle-eastern gentleman working the counter, yet they smile and pretend that they're on an equal basis with him. They spot a jar full of those magnetic ribbons and purchase one, just to avoid a prolonged conversation with the Arab.

Then they slap the thing on the back of their Escalade and head home to watch the war on their giant high definition tv, while waiting for Fox news to start. Then, husband, wife, and children, all very plastic looking with perfect hair, watch in horror as the talking heads tell them of plans of Arab sneaking nuclear missles across the Mexican border and into the United States. They all gasp in horror and the husband hits the remote control button to close the blinds and shield them from the terror of the outside world.

The wife snuggles up to the husband and says, "Do you think that Arab at the convenience store was in on this?"
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:51 pm
I always wondered what those people did when they got home. Thanks, Gus! It's very plausible...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
I'm glad I didn't meet anysuch ignorant bastid on my trips to the States, never ever.
Met a lot of people in the States, and here in the U.S.ofE., a lot of people thimk that y'all think that way. Help me out here, tell me not's not so, please.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
and the husband comforts the wife by saying "hell no, I bought a 44 mag today just to take care of that arab at the C-store, they won't get my big screen" later that night while making la la, she dreams of just how big that 44 mag really is, she says "why I bet, dear, you could turn that c-store into a parking lot with your 44 mag." "Damn tootin" he answers back and closes the conversation with "sugar-cakes, I come better with you than with anyone else" but she's asleep already.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:15 pm
And so it goes in America
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:17 pm
uh-oh...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:24 pm
Piffka's link to Operation Truth is excellent. Here is a newspaper article they reprinted:

Pittsburgh, Pa.Monday, Nov. 15, 2004
The Army's long arm
Sunday, November 14, 2004
By Dennis Roddy
GREENVILLE, Pa. -- Three years after he was honorably discharged from the Army, Frederick Pistorius was surprised to learn he was a deserter.
But there it was, on his doorstep: a letter from Barry W. Kimmons, Deputy Chief, Deserter Information Point Extension Office of the Army Reserve Personnel Command.

"On 12 July 2004 you were involuntarily mobilized to active duty in the United States Army," the letter says. "To date you have not reported to your mobilization station as required by your orders." Possibly Pistorius had not responded for two reasons. The Pistorius family had moved from the address in Sharon, Pa., to which the Army had sent its first letter. More saliently, having served honorably in not one but two branches of the U.S. military, with no additional obligation showing on his discharge papers, Pistorius would have had no reason to think he was subject to anything but his civilian job at a local steel plant.

Wendy Pistorius opened the letter and immediately telephoned an official at the Army reserve command in St. Louis.
"I told him there must be a mistake, because my husband had fulfilled his obligation," she said. "He basically told me that the Army does not make mistakes and that the orders were valid and if he did not show up as per the orders he would be prosecuted and taken to jail."

So began a two-month journey through the Army of Franz Kafka.
The paper trail is fairly straightforward on this one. Pistorius joined the Marine Corps in 1993. When he left the corps, he had a reserve obligation that expired June 25, 2000. The pool into which he would have gone is called the Individual Ready Reserve -- essentially former military available for service in times of emergency. After a few months of knocking around for work, Pistorius decided to go back into the military, get more training in his specialty -- cook -- and complete his reserve obligation with full-time duty. The Marines weren't taking back departed members who'd been out for a year, so, in 1998, he joined the Army, signing a three-year contract.

Pistorius was honorably discharged from the Army in July 20, 2001. His certificate of release attests to his accomplishments: Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Sharpshooter qualification. The upper corner is the spot in which the military lists a departing member's reserve obligation, the amount of time discharged soldiers, sailors and Marines remain subject to recall. For Pistorius, the boxes contain a succession of zeroes.

Because he was discharged well after his prior reserve obligation had passed, the Army laid no further claim to him, until someone in St. Louis ignored those zeroes and went hunting for a fresh body to fill a manpower shortage that grows more painful with every Iraqi sunset.
"They basically told me that my Marine Corps time doesn't count as military service," Pistorius said. Faced with a threat of AWOL charges, and worried that a spotless military record was about to be stained, Pistorius headed last month to Camp McGrady in South Carolina.
"The first thing they did was thank us for showing up," Pistorius said. "They had 150 that were supposed to show up and about 75 did. Of those 75 maybe only 40 or 50 are medically fit."

Here, Pistorius's Army recruitment contract comes into play. It was the one document he says he had not kept, figuring his military days were over. The Army public affairs office did not return phone calls asking about the matter so we have only Pistorius' version. He said he asked for a copy, but was always told the thing was "in transit" from St. Louis. The contract would settle any questions about whether he might have, inadvertently, signed up for another round of reserve duty, but it seems implausible.
Equally implausible were the men who turned up at Camp McGrady last month.

When I first spoke to Pistorius, by telephone from the camp, he said nobody had been given a physical. He told his Army commanders that he had a permanent back injury from a car crash. They were unimpressed by a letter from his chiropractor. His pre-deployment health assessment lists him in this word: "Deployable."

Pistorius spoke with his captain.
"He said everybody here's going to Iraq," Pistorius said. "It's unbelievable some of the guys they're bringing down there."
One man arrived with a hospital identification band still on his wrist. He'd just had knee surgery. One 48-year-old from Alabama had a hip replacement and fused vertebrae in his back.
"He showed them the documents, but they still made him come down to be examined by their doctors," Pistorius said. Pistorius spoke of a man called back from upstate New York.
"He had no teeth and he had arthritis in his leg," he said.

Andrew Bacevich, a retired Army colonel and now a professor at Boston University, wasn't surprised at the report.
"The Individual Ready Reserve -- that title is a misnomer. They're not ready," Bacevich said. "It's the equivalent of me walking out here on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, and taking the first 5,000 people I meet and saying 'you're now in the military.' "

At Camp McGrady, Pistorius kept up his campaign to convince the Army they had essentially drafted a civilian. Back home, Wendy Pistorius assembled a list of numbers: St. Louis, her senator's office, the White House. One person would tell her that her husband shouldn't have been called up. Another would tell Frederick Pistorius that it was simply his turn. He said at one point an Army lawyer in South Carolina held out the receiver so he could hear the person on the other end explain that his big problem was showing up. So many people had either moved or ignored their orders to report that the Army was loath to part with a reasonably healthy one that had.

Suddenly, on Nov. 5, Pistorius was ordered to pack up. He was driven to the airport and told he was going home. At the last minute, he was handed a letter declaring: "You are released from active duty, by reason of physical disability." He had already packed up the pre-deployment assessment that said precisely the opposite. The letter also says he's subject to reserve obligation until Feb. 26, 2006.

The Pistorius family, with its three children, ages 6, 5 and 2, is now trying to figure out what to do without a month's wages. "I just put everything off," Wendy Pistorius said. "I paid only the bills I absolutely had to."
The Army took back the family separation allowance he was given when called to Camp McGrady. Frederick Pistorius is working a swing shift at the local tube plant and trying to figure out if the Army still considers him a reservist and if he's going to get another letter from St. Louis.
"I don't want to get arrested in front of my kids," he said.

(Dennis Roddy can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1965.)
0 Replies