Justice Department/Secret Draft of "Patriot II" Legislation

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 06:46 am
Quote:

You may access the full text at:

Link to "Patriot II" Draft

What do you all think about this proposed legislation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,267 • Replies: 25
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:36 am
i watched the program last night (Bill Moyers) with guest being the Georgetown law professor that released this information. It was very scary.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:31 am
The link isn't working, phoenix, although it is shown the same on the Philadelphia Independent Media Center website.
(There, you can find some of the key provision of the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003
Philadelphia Independent Media Center)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:36 am
Walter- That is strange. I just checked it after I read your post, and it seems to be working for me!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:38 am
Your link, Mr. Hinteler, does not work either, at least on my computer...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:41 am
http://www.publicintegrity.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=502&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:50 am
This is extremely strange. I can access a number of articles describing the act, but can't get into the pdf files that show the act in its entirety. I have one of two conclusions:

It's a very large download, and a lot of people are attempting to access it.

???????
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:30 am
While my link was working (here) all the time, yours opnes now, too, Phoenix.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:53 am
Walter's link worked for me, but none of the others. If that isn't scary, I'm not sure what would be - except for bigots who think in similar terms. Blatham is right; it's possible for it to happen again, and this is the best indication it IS happening. Please write to your congressmen/women to tell them this legislation must be stopped. Maybe, it's too late, because the republicans carry the administration and congress. This is the longest two years I'll be living, and hope that these bogus representatives of the people will be gone. c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 12:10 pm
OK I went back to my E Mail where I originally accessed the link. I was able to get into it there, but not into the pdf file. If I get up in the middle of the night , I will try again. I hate to post a whole article, but it looks like now it is impossible to get, and I have cable internet.

Quote:
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:01 pm
This is also in the New York Times, Saturday, 8 February 2003.

It's beginning to sound like a totaliaran state. This week I heard talk on TV about Iraq - not allowing its citizens to talk; listening and watching their movements, etc. etc. etc. This doesn't sound too much different.

Slowly and not so slowly it looks like the very things that made us the kind of country we were are being whittled away. It was ominous when they denied Padilla any right to representation or hearing, on the vague basis that he was maybe connected with a dirty bomb. He's an American citizen. This expansion of the Patriot Act says that anyone may be stripped of citizenship on the suspicion of terrorist links.

This administration has gone far beyond being something to laugh about - it has become scary.

And today's paper also carries a story that britain admits most of its dossier on Iraq has been pulled and/or plagerized from various accounts - some dating to 1990? What are we doing?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:37 am
bookmark
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:26 am
I saw the Bill Moyers program on how they're trying to push Patriot II through Congress, and was also very scared. Dubya wants to take accountability and puclic respobsibility from industry, and give the executive branch the power to cover up pretty much anything they want to do. All this will take basic constitutional rights away from citizens to protect themselves. the filthiest thing is, they say it's to protect the country from terrorism. The fact is, big business has been waiting for a megalomaniac like dubya to come along and help them out, and 9/11 is a fine excuse for them.

I can't believe this is happening. Not since nixon has there been a president so out of control. It's too scary for words.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:19 am
it is clear to anyone with the sense that God gave a gopher that this plan is actually the most severe threat to america and its people's liberties the country ever faced, and it is native bourne, not from an outside threat.

if anyone was told that another nation would attempt to curtail the freedoms and liberites as in the proposed legislation that we americans have come to regard as our birthright, this country would be at war with that nation. yet, this insidious plot comes from alleged patriots who are perfectly willing to destroy the village in some delusional attempt to save it.

i consider the bush adminstraion to be an illegitimate junta bent on destroying this country and the freedoms it held sacred for over 200 years. may they each die a hideous death if they succeed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:17 pm
kuvasz, What makes it scary is the overwhelming popularity of this president. They are giving this administration the "license" to destroy our liberties. Who do we blame? c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:12 pm
C.I., maybe the majority of your compatriots wants to enable the administration to increase the domestic security; for this sake they are ready to go to war and to freeze (temporarily) some individual freedoms.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:33 pm
Do they really?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:40 pm
we seem to have this strange idea that the people control the government, not the other way around.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:41 pm
steissd, You have it wrong. We do not wish to sacrifice our freedoms for the terrorists. Otherwise they win this 'war.' The only solution is to seek, find, and destroy the terrorists. But this government is diverting all of our resources to a war with Saddam, who posses no threat to our security. GWBush is doing a damn good job of increasing terrorism against Americans by his misdirected efforts to have a war with Iraq. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:44 pm
dys, You ever talk to an Iraqi in private? How about to any citizen of Zimbabwe? Even Egypt? How about a citizen of China? Well, I think you get the idea. c.i.
0 Replies