It Begins

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-uscia1114,0,707331.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Quote:
CIA plans to purge its agency
Sources say White House has ordered new chief to eliminate officers who were disloyal to Bush

BY KNUT ROYCE
WASHINGTON BUREAU

November 14, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The White House has ordered the new CIA director, Porter Goss, to purge the agency of officers believed to have been disloyal to President George W. Bush or of leaking damaging information to the media about the conduct of the Iraq war and the hunt for Osama bin Laden, according to knowledgeable sources.

"The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to both the agency and to the White House. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda."

One of the first casualties appears to be Stephen R. Kappes, deputy director of clandestine services, the CIA's most powerful division. The Washington Post reported yesterday that Kappes had tendered his resignation after a confrontation with Goss' chief of staff, Patrick Murray, but at the behest of the White House had agreed to delay his decision till tomorrow.

But the former senior CIA official said that the White House "doesn't want Steve Kappes to reconsider his resignation. That might be the spin they put on it, but they want him out." He said the job had already been offered to the former chief of the European Division who retired after a spat with then-CIA Director George Tenet.

Another recently retired top CIA official said he was unsure Kappes had "officially resigned, but I do know he was unhappy."

Without confirming or denying that the job offer had been made, a CIA spokesman asked Newsday to withhold naming the former officer because of his undercover role over the years. He said he had no comment about Goss' personnel plans, but he added that changes at the top are not unusual when new directors come in.

On Friday John E. McLaughlin, a 32-year veteran of the intelligence division who served as acting CIA director before Goss took over, announced that he was retiring. The spokesman said that the retirement had been planned and was unrelated to the Kappes resignation or to other morale problems inside the CIA.

It could not be learned yesterday if the White House had identified Kappes, a respected operations officer, as one of the officials "disloyal" to Bush.

"The president understands and appreciates the sacrifices made by the members of the intelligence community in the war against terrorism," said a White House official of the report that he was purging the CIA of "disloyal" officials. " . . . The suggestion [that he ordered a purge] is inaccurate."

But another former CIA official who retains good contacts within the agency said that Goss and his top aides, who served on his staff when Goss was chairman of the House intelligence committee, believe the agency had relied too much over the years on liaison work with foreign intelligence agencies and had not done enough to develop its own intelligence collection system.

"Goss is not a believer in liaison work," said this retired official. But, he said, the CIA's "best intelligence really comes from liaison work. The CIA is simply not going to develop the assets [agents and case officers] that would meet the intelligence requirements."

Tensions between the White House and the CIA have been the talk of the town for at least a year, especially as leaks about the mishandling of the Iraq war have dominated front pages.

Some of the most damaging leaks came from Michael Scheuer, former head of the CIA's Bin Laden unit, who wrote a book anonymously called "Imperial Hubris" that criticized what he said was the administration's lack of resolve in tracking down the al-Qaida chieftain and the reallocation of intelligence and military manpower from the war on terrorism to the war in Iraq. Scheuer announced Thursday that he was resigning from the agency.

It's this kind of bullsh*t that make people hate the Bush regime.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,392 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:46 am
Who knew that the CIA was a 'hotbed of liberals' Laughing

That has to be the funniest thing I've read all day.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
I like the fact that the 'Intelligence Agency' is obstructing the Bush Agenda.

No surprise there to 49% of us.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Here's the backdoor draft you've heard so much about lately, in action!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04319/411224.stm

Quote:
The Army's long arm
Sunday, November 14, 2004

By Dennis Roddy

GREENVILLE, Pa. -- Three years after he was honorably discharged from the Army, Frederick Pistorius was surprised to learn he was a deserter.

But there it was, on his doorstep: a letter from Barry W. Kimmons, Deputy Chief, Deserter Information Point Extension Office of the Army Reserve Personnel Command.

"On 12 July 2004 you were involuntarily mobilized to active duty in the United States Army," the letter says. "To date you have not reported to your mobilization station as required by your orders." Possibly Pistorius had not responded for two reasons. The Pistorius family had moved from the address in Sharon, Pa., to which the Army had sent its first letter. More saliently, having served honorably in not one but two branches of the U.S. military, with no additional obligation showing on his discharge papers, Pistorius would have had no reason to think he was subject to anything but his civilian job at a local steel plant.

Wendy Pistorius opened the letter and immediately telephoned an official at the Army reserve command in St. Louis.

"I told him there must be a mistake, because my husband had fulfilled his obligation," she said. "He basically told me that the Army does not make mistakes and that the orders were valid and if he did not show up as per the orders he would be prosecuted and taken to jail."

So began a two-month journey through the Army of Franz Kafka.

The paper trail is fairly straightforward on this one. Pistorius joined the Marine Corps in 1993. When he left the corps, he had a reserve obligation that expired June 25, 2000. The pool into which he would have gone is called the Individual Ready Reserve -- essentially former military available for service in times of emergency. After a few months of knocking around for work, Pistorius decided to go back into the military, get more training in his specialty -- cook -- and complete his reserve obligation with full-time duty. The Marines weren't taking back departed members who'd been out for a year, so, in 1998, he joined the Army, signing a three-year contract.

Pistorius was honorably discharged from the Army in July 20, 2001. His certificate of release attests to his accomplishments: Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Sharpshooter qualification. The upper corner is the spot in which the military lists a departing member's reserve obligation, the amount of time discharged soldiers, sailors and Marines remain subject to recall. For Pistorius, the boxes contain a succession of zeroes.

Because he was discharged well after his prior reserve obligation had passed, the Army laid no further claim to him, until someone in St. Louis ignored those zeroes and went hunting for a fresh body to fill a manpower shortage that grows more painful with every Iraqi sunset.

"They basically told me that my Marine Corps time doesn't count as military service," Pistorius said. Faced with a threat of AWOL charges, and worried that a spotless military record was about to be stained, Pistorius headed last month to Camp McGrady in South Carolina.

"The first thing they did was thank us for showing up," Pistorius said. "They had 150 that were supposed to show up and about 75 did. Of those 75 maybe only 40 or 50 are medically fit."

Here, Pistorius's Army recruitment contract comes into play. It was the one document he says he had not kept, figuring his military days were over. The Army public affairs office did not return phone calls asking about the matter so we have only Pistorius' version. He said he asked for a copy, but was always told the thing was "in transit" from St. Louis. The contract would settle any questions about whether he might have, inadvertently, signed up for another round of reserve duty, but it seems implausible.

Equally implausible were the men who turned up at Camp McGrady last month.

When I first spoke to Pistorius, by telephone from the camp, he said nobody had been given a physical. He told his Army commanders that he had a permanent back injury from a car crash. They were unimpressed by a letter from his chiropractor. His pre-deployment health assessment lists him in this word: "Deployable."

Pistorius spoke with his captain.

"He said everybody here's going to Iraq," Pistorius said. "It's unbelievable some of the guys they're bringing down there."

One man arrived with a hospital identification band still on his wrist. He'd just had knee surgery. One 48-year-old from Alabama had a hip replacement and fused vertebrae in his back.

"He showed them the documents, but they still made him come down to be examined by their doctors," Pistorius said. Pistorius spoke of a man called back from upstate New York.

"He had no teeth and he had arthritis in his leg," he said.

Andrew Bacevich, a retired Army colonel and now a professor at Boston University, wasn't surprised at the report.

"The Individual Ready Reserve -- that title is a misnomer. They're not ready," Bacevich said. "It's the equivalent of me walking out here on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, and taking the first 5,000 people I meet and saying 'you're now in the military.' "

At Camp McGrady, Pistorius kept up his campaign to convince the Army they had essentially drafted a civilian. Back home, Wendy Pistorius assembled a list of numbers: St. Louis, her senator's office, the White House. One person would tell her that her husband shouldn't have been called up. Another would tell Frederick Pistorius that it was simply his turn.

He said at one point an Army lawyer in South Carolina held out the receiver so he could hear the person on the other end explain that his big problem was showing up. So many people had either moved or ignored their orders to report that the Army was loath to part with a reasonably healthy one that had.

Suddenly, on Nov. 5, Pistorius was ordered to pack up. He was driven to the airport and told he was going home. At the last minute, he was handed a letter declaring: "You are released from active duty, by reason of physical disability." He had already packed up the pre-deployment assessment that said precisely the opposite. The letter also says he's subject to reserve obligation until Feb. 26, 2006.

The Pistorius family, with its three children, ages 6, 5 and 2, is now trying to figure out what to do without a month's wages. "I just put everything off," Wendy Pistorius said. "I paid only the bills I absolutely had to."

The Army took back the family separation allowance he was given when called to Camp McGrady. Frederick Pistorius is working a swing shift at the local tube plant and trying to figure out if the Army still considers him a reservist and if he's going to get another letter from St. Louis.

"I don't want to get arrested in front of my kids," he said.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
How reassuring this is. A CIA totally devoted to affirming Bush's pre-conceived notions...

How much do we spend on this agency? I forget...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
Why in the word can't the United States mainstream public see what is happening? It just boggles my mind sometimes.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
Why is it difficult to understand that a Commander in Chief would want people loyal to him as well as people who would keep secrets, SECRET!!!!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
Because the CIA's job isn't to be loyal to the president, woiyo, it's to FIND OUT THE F*CKING truth and report it to him!!!

This is the kind of thing that you see in third-world countries.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
Why is it hard to understand that a department whose job it is to collect and analyze intelligence -- some of which can lead to war -- should operate independently of the president?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Why is it hard to understand that a department whose job it is to collect and analyze intelligence -- some of which can lead to war -- should operate independently of the president?

Apparently as hard to understand that loose mouths that continually leak vital information to the press because they have a beef with the president.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
http://www.cia.gov/cia/information/mission.html

""The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to both the agency and to the White House. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda." "

"Soft leakers" and those who oppose the Commander in Chief can not be objective in their pursuit of the truth.

Some trashmouths can not understand that.

Yet, I suspect that those with a different point of veiw, if they were in charge would accept "soft leakers" as well as those who oppose them to be in charge of intelligence gathering....NOT!!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
The CIA's role ought to be to find out what's going on in the world to provide the President with the info needed to make policy decisions.

Not to provide the evidence, real or otherwise, to support a policy that's already been decided on.

Or is that too complex for the Bush supporters to follow?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
Perhaps their beef is that the Pres ignores any evidence that is contrary to his case? And then blames the CIA for the failure when we cannot support his case?

Yeah, that WILL piss some people off, yaknow...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
woiyo wrote:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/information/mission.html

""The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to both the agency and to the White House. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda." "

"Soft leakers" and those who oppose the Commander in Chief can not be objective in their pursuit of the truth.

Some trashmouths can not understand that.

Yet, I suspect that those with a different point of veiw, if they were in charge would accept "soft leakers" as well as those who oppose them to be in charge of intelligence gathering....NOT!!!

"...and liberal Democrats... hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda"

If the presidents agenda is not based on the facts then I guess facts would certainly obstruct the president's agenda. Nobody would argue if they were canning leakers and leakers only, but the part you quoted indicates that it's quite a bit more than that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
...and what the heck is a 'soft' leaker? A leak is a leak.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Quote:

Woiyo,

Are you seriously championing the position that one cannot oppose the CIC and be able to find truth when it comes to intelligence matters? Because I would love to destroy that position.

Please, tell me you're serious! That one cannot tell the truth UNLESS they agree with the CIC! I'm begging you to confirm this idiotic opinion!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm
woiyo, I sincerely hope you are not calling people names...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
It's okay, I don't mind.

Woiyo, I can understand about wanting to clean shop re: intelligence leaks. But, to remove liberals? To say that the CIA is 'hampering' Bush's plans with it's darn truth-seeking?

I know that you are not blindly partisan like some posters here, woiyo, so surely you can see the wisdom of the CIA being an independent source of info, which should not be swayed by political pressure.... political pressure is what led to the mess with the WMD case for Iraq, and look how badly that turned out...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:21 pm
Putsches, Purges and Pogroms...
NOT the tools of Democracy.

They are the manifestations of Tyranny and Despotism.

The "Russian Mafia" which is now forging Russia's chains has strong KGB roots.
President Bush made a point of how he admired Vladimir Putin's style and philosophies...
THAT should have been our wake-up call.

I fear that America is rushing toward cataclysmic change... fasten your seatbelts, this juggernaut will not be easily halted, nor will it achieve anything but destruction.
The fact that it will do so "in the name of Jesus" is the Supreme Irony.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:31 pm
Anyone interested in reading how it could've happened before might enjoy "The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth. It's his latest novel. Any parallels between it and what's happening now are up to the reader...
0 Replies