Concluding a Speech?

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:24 pm
I have a speech to present in a couple of days. The speech would be about my goals.

In my speech, I'll talk about my goals and how I plan on accomplishing them. For example, I will like to learn to speak Mandarin, and I'll try to accomplish this by spending more time with my Mandarin speaking acquaintances.

Anyhow, I have an introduction, the body and all I need to come up with now now is a conclusion.

Can someone suggest how I can conclude my speech? The last speech I had to present had no conclusion, because I couldn't come up with anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 936 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:21 pm
The short answer is briefly summarize your main points; see if you can extend the concept into a 'greater' view that will give your audience something to think about, a new idea to leave your presentation with. Do NOT say 'and now my speech is finished' or anything similar-- that is a very weak ending.

When I say extend or expand the concept, let me give an example: for instance, in your speech you may mention why you want to learn another language, the advantages that learning Mandarin may have for you. In your conclusion you can universalize these ideas by suggesting that becoming multilingual is an important part of globalization, that people all around the world should be studying other languages in order to gain an understanding of other cultures in the World Village.
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:08 pm
Part of my problem is that none of the goals are related, so I can't think of a way extending the concept.

For example, goal 1 - learn mandarin, goal 2 - swim 50 miles / week, and then goal 3 - sky dive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
what do the three things have in common, Blackie Chan?

are they all things that frighten you?
are they all things someone you admire does?
are they all things you've been dared to do?

there will be some commonality, and you need to find it

are they all things that will help you meet some particular challenge?

40 years ago, you could have said they were all part of CIA training - that you were going to parachute into China, swim across the Yangtse and then conduct your spying in Mandarin
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
The only thing they have in common is that they are things I'll like to do. I'm not really amazed when I see people doing them. I don't remember ever being dared to do something. I'm also not frightened to do any of those things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
What interests you about each of them?
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:44 am
I'm interested in the first one because I've always wanted to do it when I were younger.

I'm interested in the second one because it'll be useful when I start to look for work.

The last one because it'll things to talk about in conversations.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:11 am
You can tie them all together for your conclusion by saying something about how you think having goals is an important part of life and that reaching goals can be personally satisfying, rewarding and may even lead to financial gains by adding a skill like a second language. Say something to that effect first in Mandarin. Then say it in English.

You can use a language converter or your friends that speak Mandarin to help you with the translation.

Just an idea.
0 Replies