SUV's and Support our Troops ribbons

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:05 pm
Glitter, honey. We're all with you here. I don't do ribbons and stuff, but I know that Rog is a veteran, and understands what you're saying.

Not one American that I know, would ever bad mouth those men and women who have fought and died. As a matter of fact, we just did a thread for Veteran's Day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:09 pm
I don't know what you meant by the thread, then.

Again, I'm not a big fan of SUV's unless someone really needs one. They're overpriced and drive like crap compared to a car. I talked my roomate out of buying one a few years back. BUT...I don't think they're such a big problem people make them out to be.

First off, you can't expect everyone to drive a f'n Corolla or Civic. Second, there has ALWAYS been gas guzzlers...in the 80's all the big sedans got worse gas mileage than most of today's SUV's.

And why SUV's? What about people that buy pickup trucks, V8 sedans like Crown Vics, big-body Mercedes, BMW, ect? Maybe those people suck too.

And...SUV's is a very general term today. They're not all based on truck platforms like they originally were. For example, a Honda CRV is considered an SUV, even though it's a Civic underneath. Toyota Highlander is based on the Camry. These "SUV's"get decent gas mileage.

Out of all the SUVS today, what percentage are the "big" ones? Escalades, Expeditions, ect? Not a lot.

People need to relax with this stuff. The auto companies are working, and have worked, on making them more efficient.

My rant for the day that doesn't involve my drunken stories.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:25 pm
slappy, maybe there is no point. I am not part of the social police who tell folks what to buy or what to do with their money. I'm not sure if I want to take another stab at articulating a message, it seems that this has devolved into a big nitpick. Also I would like to point out that I didn't use the words, hypocrite, unpatriotic nor did I say anybody sucks. It appears that I am unable to articulate my concern for the military and their families and the kinds of sacrifices that they have made and will continue to make. What the hell, if it makes somebody feel better to see a support our troops ribbon, great, then it actually serves a purpose. Apparently my concern that most of this is really lip service and if asked to dig a little deeper to support our troops, too many people will be expecting the help to come from someplace else. Maybe I'm getting too old, maybe I live too close to Walter Reed, who knows what my deal is. But I do regret than I have been unable to explain myself and see this thread now a forum that is trying to decide just who is patriotic. It's clear I missed the boat on this with some of you, so, how bout them O's?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:33 pm
blurb: driving an Suv and flying ribbons is an oxymoron. and I think that says it in a nutshell.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:42 pm
Had a few O-bombs last night, thanks for asking.

I wasn't trying to nitpick what you said, I just don't agree with what I thought you meant.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:46 pm
littlek wrote:
I want to poke those people in the eyes. I hate SUVs. And, to me, they are the epitome of the US dependence on oil.

Sounds like you have hate issues, if you wish to cause bodily harm to a person simply because he/she owns an SUV.

How would you feel if an SUV owner disliked you simply because you preferred a small car or motorbike? You know, the drivers of small cars and motorcycles often zip in and out of traffic causing hazardous driving conditions, road rage, and also accidents.

Because they're small, they think they can just squeeze in any old place, without regard for the other traffic (including SUVs, pickups, service vans, panel trucks, and semi's).
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
That hits it right on the head "You just don't agree with what you thought I might be thinking". This is exactly what scares the bejesus out of me. We (including myself) are so lazy and so addicted to fast-food theory that we seldom take the time to consider any issue. We are becoming a rat-pack looking for the weakest link, consoling ourselves with platitudes and easy think. We all know that the written word is more difficult to convey because no one hears the way you deliver the message.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
General, thank you for staying on target. It is so important to jump to conclusions if we are going to remain a great nation.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:57 pm
Glitterbag -- I understand perfectly what you are saying.

We are fighting a war in the Middle East in large part because we have a huge stake in the oil there.

People who drive big cars (including the ubiquitous SUVs) fast and often either don't connect or refuse to connect their use of fuel with the war. Instead, it is oh-so-much simpler to purchase a yellow ribbon, attach it to your car, which goes much further in today's political climate to PROVE you are a good citizen.

Sticking a ribbon on a gas guzzler isn't the height of hypocrisy, but it comes close. If the people of this country practiced fuel conservation and we could cut our consumption by a moderate 10%, we wouldn't have nearly the pressure we now have to worry about the effects of the price per barrel on our economy, nor would we be quite so desperate to obtain future rights to Mid-East oil.

It's a free country and people can do just what they want. Since it is a free country, we are also at liberty to point out that voluntary curbing of your fuel appetites is a much more appropriate and significant measure of showing your support for the troops then some colored bit of fake ribbon magnetically attached to your rear-end.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:04 pm
glitterbag wrote:
That hits it right on the head "You just don't agree with what you thought I might be thinking". This is exactly what scares the bejesus out of me. We (including myself) are so lazy and so addicted to fast-food theory that we seldom take the time to consider any issue. We are becoming a rat-pack looking for the weakest link, consoling ourselves with platitudes and easy think. We all know that the written word is more difficult to convey because no one hears the way you deliver the message.

Well, since you even said earlier you weren't sure what you meant, I don't think it was really bad form on my part for interpreting it like I did. And I wasn't the only one. Again, not trying to nitpick, but sorry if I scared the bejesus out of you.

And seriously, piffka...do you really think SUV's are that big of a problem??? I just don't see it. Again, a big chunk of these vehicles are pretty efficient. This isn't 1993 anymore, the Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee aren't the only options. There's a lot of things you probably purchase that link to something bad...maybe sneakers that were made in a sweatshop, ect. I just think it's a waste of energy to get so worked up over what someone wants to drop their $30K on to drive.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Piffka, Thank you. I thought I was asking everyone to at least be honest with themselves. I don't know how we can improve the future of our children if we are not willing to do anything. Buy an SUV, don't buy an SUV, just be honest about what you are doing, and it wouldn't hurt to thank the Good Lord that you have the good fortune to be able to make those choices.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:16 pm
Point of order, slappy, I didn't really say I didn't know what I meant, actually I was just giving in to the reality that no one listens to anyone anymore. I constantly hear the chorus of "There is nothing that can be done". Maybe that is the best way to look at it, it's just hard to roll over and give up. And since we still pay less for gas than any other country, in the words of Alfred E, "What, me worry?"
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:22 pm
I absolutely hear you....

I think we should end this like real people: Fist fight.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:23 pm
Seriously, Slappy, I think that a sudden drop in the American demand for oil would jolt the world. All it would take is for each one of us to permanently cut our personal consumption of fuel by ten percent. If you use ten gallons a week... drop it to nine. Some people could manage that just by going the posted speed limit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
I know, I know....but there's no way in hell people are going to drive the speed limit.

I'm too lazy to look back, but someone posted an example of jet skis, motorcycles, ect...they're toys that use unecessary fuel. But you can't bash those people.

The point is, where do you draw the line? Where does it end? Speed limits? It's like saying, "if I only drink two less drinks every night I go out, I'll save X amount for the year." It's good in theory, but usually just doesn't happen.

But, I really think that in general people are conscience of trying to do the right thing. I also think buying an SUV for status is laughable. Like I said, the auto companies and goverment are making a huge push to make these vehicles more efficient. Things are changing for the better, that's why I don't get worked up over it.

And glitter, you're talking about people having the "there's nothing that can be done" attitude...I already pointed out talking my buddy out of buying and SUV, I wouldn't buy one, but at the same time, I don't bash people for it, and they don't bother me at all.

I'm not writing too clearly....tough day for the slappy.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:45 pm
Slappy, I really (honestly) am not trying to bash anyone and everybody knows you cannot legislate common sense. Forgive me if I am repeating myself, I know I said this somewhere on some thread over the last couple of days, but I do not care how other people use their money or how much they have, they can wipe their butts with $50 dollar bills and I still don't care. I just don't want them coming to my house in search of a few more fifty's. And in reaction to your other comment about how to resolve this, I'm fine with it, but I gotta warn ya boy, I'll put a serious hurting on you and make you wear a pink dress and parade you down the main street of Annapolis. The glitterbag a'int in the mood for too much foolishness.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:50 pm
Listen...I tore Ireland a new asspipe a couple years ago, and walked out alive with all my limbs.

I can take you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I know, I know....but there's no way in hell people are going to drive the speed limit.

I'm too lazy to look back, but someone posted an example of jet skis, motorcycles, ect...they're toys that use unecessary fuel. But you can't bash those people.

Why not? I hate those damned jet skis and we use 'em for target practice when they get too close to our beach.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, are a fairly economical and common-sense form of transportation.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
Slappy, ask around a little. You'll come to your senses. Don't put yourself in the position of having your butt handed to you by somebody's grandmother.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 05:51 pm
D'OH!
0 Replies