Republican candidate Greg Gianforte body slams a reporter

layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:50 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Well, that doesn't mean they approve of his actions from last night.

Well, maybe not. But it does mean they don't disapprove, certainly not to the extent that they think he should have dropped out of the race, eh?
layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:53 pm
@layman,
A little update, eh?

layman wrote:

Bozeman, Montana (CNN) Votes are being tallied in Montana's special election for the open US House seat, capping off a whirlwind final 36 hours that saw one of the candidates accused of assaulting a reporter.

With 56% of precincts reporting, Gianforte has 119,498 votes -- or 49.9% of the vote, compared to Quist who has 105,899 votes -- 44.2% of the vote, according to Edison Research.
layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 10:18 pm
@layman,
It aint gettin no better for the folk-singer who doesn't pay his taxes, eh? In fact, you can pretty much say it's a done deal with an 8-point lead after 75% has been counted.

Quote:
75% Precincts Reporting, 285,789 Total Vote

Greg Gianforte (Republican) 51.1% 146,038
Rob Quist (Democratic) 43.1% 123,158

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/live-montana-election-results-greg-gianforte-vs-rob-quist/
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 10:20 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Well, maybe not. But it does mean they don't disapprove, certainly not to the extent that they think he should have dropped out of the race, eh?

http://fox61.com/2017/05/25/montanas-absentee-vote-turnout-in-the-spotlight-after-gianforte-body-slam/
Quote:
MISSOULA, Montana — Republican candidate Greg Gianforte’s alleged “body slam” of a reporter Wednesday night might have shaken up expectations for a special election for Montana’s single seat in the House, but a large percentage of those expected to vote have already turned in their ballots.

As of Wednesday night, 259,558 ballots have been returned, said Derek J. Oestreicher, the Director of Elections and Voter Services in the Office of the Montana Secretary of State. That number is of 357,596 absentee ballots sent out, meaning about 73 percent of absentee ballots are in.

Since audio of the scuffle surfaced, Montana’s Secretary of State office has been getting calls and questions asking if voters can come in and change their vote. Under Montana law, however, ballots that have mailed in and received by county election administrators are considered votes received and cannot be changed.
layman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 10:28 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Since audio of the scuffle surfaced, Montana’s Secretary of State office has been getting calls and questions asking if voters can come in and change their vote.

Oh, "getting calls," eh? How many, ya figure? 10? 20? 100? Hundreds of thousands?
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 12:00 pm
Once it was lawyers, then used car salesmen, then doctors, cops - this year it's neck and neck as to who is most hated group : politicians or the media.

The incident is a wash, as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 12:14 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Do you want the news or not? I mean you can be in a little bubble of people who only espouse the point of view that you agree with. That's up to you. Lots of people live that way, never hearing alternative sides of a story or updates that pertain to the events of the day...

You must be laughing your own ass off, McG. Here YOU, of a lot of A2K people, are advancing this stunningly hypocritical notion.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 12:18 pm
@McGentrix,
Yeah, the press has no place in US politics save for their overwhelming support for US war mongers.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:11 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Oh, "getting calls," eh? How many, ya figure? 10? 20? 100? Hundreds of thousands?
I strongly suspect that the vast majority of voters knew their early votes could not be changed. There would be no point in requesting to change your vote, if you knew it was not allowed
layman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:35 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
I strongly suspect that the vast majority of voters knew their early votes could not be changed. There would be no point in requesting to change your vote, if you knew it was not allowed

Heh, OK. Many voters don't even know where they're supposed to vote or exactly how they're supposed to complete a valid, yet surely the "vast majority" of them know esoteric rules about voting laws in Montana, eh?

Well, ya know, a cop can't even arrest (let alone "convict') a guy based only on "strong suspicions."

That said, here's what I "strongly suspect:" Voters in Montana don't give a rat's ass if some cheese-eating limey intruder gets his ass roughed up.
Real Music

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:48 pm
@layman,
Quote:
That said, here's what I "strongly suspect:" Voters in Montana don't give a rat's ass if some cheese-eating limey intruder gets his ass roughed up.
Neither you or I can really know how many voters would change their vote if the law permitted them to do so. It really doesn't matter, because the law doesn't allow the early votes to be changed.
layman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:50 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Neither you or I can really know how many voters would change their vote if the law permitted them to do so.

Yeah, I agree, which was my basic point. Who knows? But I haven't seen any expressions of regret coming from Montana voters after he was elected, have you? Put another way, I have seen nothing to suggest that any significant number would change their votes, if they could, so I have no reason to think that.
Real Music

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:56 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Yeah, I agree, which was my basic point. Who knows? But I haven't seen any expressions of regret coming from Montana voters after he was elected, have you?
To be honest, I really don't know. I am curious on what's being said in the local media in Montana as oppose to the national media in regard to voters regrets.
layman

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 01:12 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I am curious on what's being said in the local media in Montana as oppose to the national media in regard to voters regrets.

Well, you can probably easily read their local papers online, if you really care to know.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 02:59 pm
Why doesn't Greg Gianforte "body slam" THIS guy?
Oh, wait. I guess that's his voting base.

2 ‘Heroes’ Stabbed To Death Standing Up To Muslim Hate In Portland

Quote:
Two men are being hailed as heroes after they were killed while trying to stop a man from abusing two young women on a train in Portland, Oregon, because they appeared to be Muslim.

Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35, of North Portland, allegedly attacked the men on a MAX train at the Hollywood Transit Station at 4:30 p.m. Friday. He was charged with offenses including two counts of aggravated murder over the incident, which occurred hours before the start of the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.

Witnesses said at least one of the women the suspect targeted was wearing a hijab, and it appeared the abuse was religiously and racially motivated. Christian is known to locals and authorities as an active white supremacist.

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_720_noupscale/59296f8b200000290016f3b4.jpeg?cache=1tldus2i1i
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 03:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Gianforte liked the reporter and was trying to "slam dance" with him.

Give me one bit of evidence that he was trying to "slam dance."
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
He might be trying on 'how to joke' or is that 'how to mock' people who disagree with you.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 06:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
'how to joke'

What joke?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 07:31 pm
@RABEL222,
Apologia per vita Montana:

How would I know; I'm no fan of the slammer, and stay away from arguing with Brandon. Maybe Brandon was trying out a joke, or mocking, slamdance being a known phrase in some recent years.

Cough, my mother in law was from Montana. She wasn't any kind of violent woman, but irritated her sons and a certain daughter in law. We three liked their dad better, their father having similar politics to hers, but lower on the rage scale. Not that they didn't love her, but the love wasn't all roses. More like jello salad.

We loved him. He was from Minnesota. He left school after fourth grade, in contrast to her, who was a college graduate, but for the rest of his life he read a great deal, including being a member of some history book of the month club, and was open to discussion. He didn't like me at first, my having stopped being catholic, but relented fairly soon.

She had in common with my own mother, whom I did love, the matter of being bright, but not engrossed in reading. It must have been my dad who subscribed to all those magazines of the time, like the New Yorker. I'm the one that read them. She read the Ligorian. On my dad, he had a small poem in the Saturday Evening Post in 1926 (I think). I figure he liked magazines from an early age - he would have been about 20 then.

Well, this has been a tangent, but hey, I've spent a lot of time hearing about Montana from their mother's relatives.
I miss them both, tilting on the dad's side.

Given now that a lot of us have internet access, I'm wondering about who are reading much, in the US., and how that matters.
0 Replies