Atlantis Finally Found?

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
Probably not, but the following article is intriguing, and we all love history mysteries.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20041113/sc_nm/odd_cyprus_atlantis_dc
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
Hail Atlantis!
Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,
Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.
Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.
My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,
I wanna see you some day
My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,
My antediluvian baby,
My antediluvian baby, I love you, girl,
Girl, I wanna see you some day.
My antediluvian baby, oh yeah
I wanna see you some day, oh
My antediluvian baby.
My antediluvian baby, I wanna see you
My antediluvian baby, gotta tell me where she gone
I wanna see you some day
Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, oh yeah
Oh glub glub, down down, yeah
My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah yeah yeah
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
It's far too lengthy a subject to address here but if you ever get the chance to see a documentary on the "Charles Hapsgood/Albert Einstein theory of Earth crust displacement" watch it, it's a must see for anyone who loves a mystery, and the theory that Atlantis was what we now call Antarctica is very convincing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
My, my. Dys is just full of himself today.

Well, might as well respond in kind.

Tell me who built the ark?
Noah, Noah.
Who built the ark?
Brother Noah built the ark.

Who built the ark.
I don't noah.
Who built the ark.
I don't noah built the ark.

Brother Noah built himself an ark.

He built it out of hickory bark.

So there, cowboy!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
Antarctica? I missed that one, Don. Edgar Cayce claims that we're all Atlanteans.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
Just did a quick look-see on the web. Came up with this observation:

The biggest argument against Antarctica being Atlantis is the sheer fact that no reliable evidence of human occupation has ever come to light, even though the continent really does appear on pre-discovery maps. We must therefore look elsewhere for the true location of Atlantis

The entire article was quite interesting, Don. but I didn't want to cut and paste the entire thing.

Now I'm off to have some serial cereal.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
Here's another history mystery that has great potential of being resolved:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=570&e=1&u=/nm/20041113/sc_nm/egypt_tutankhamun_dc

I love these things.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:01 am
Atlantis found? there goes my secret vacation spot.....now ther'll be tourists from Jersey in shorts, sandals and black socks... Crying or Very sad Mad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
Ah, sorry, uplugged exile no.1. Why not try Egypt. Perhaps you and squinney can uncover the riddle of the Sphinx.

I would post the limerick about the camel, but it is entirely too lurid.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Atlantis found? there goes my secret vacation spot.....now ther'll be tourists from Jersey in shorts, sandals and black socks... Crying or Very sad Mad

Just book your band...your songs will forever be associated with the magical land of Atlantis...your music will become immortal Cool
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:35 pm
The earliest references seem to be from Plato who got the information from the Egyptians. They placed it as beyond the Pillars of Hercules which is the exit from the Mediterranean Sea into the Atlantic Ocean. Many people thought that the Madeira archipelago and the Canary Islands are peaks to the mountains that existed on Atlantis. Early explorers to the Canary Islands found the remants to a race of white people living there.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:41 pm
The Canary Islands, Bob? WOW! That's where the hurricanes are born. Hmmmmm. May be more to this than we ever reckoned.

Interesting how old threads get bumped up. Thanks for the info, buddy.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:50 pm
Interesting places Madeira and the Canary Islands. I lived in Madeira for a couple of years and the Canary Islands for a couple of months. The white race that lived there and were captured and sold by pirates were called the Guanche. At one time they used to mummify their dead but that was apparently before the 1400's.

Where were they found

Found primarily in caves on four of the seven Canary Islands, Guanche mummies once numbered in the thousands. Today only a handful remain, mostly in museum collections (which may not be on display).

When were they made

Very little research concerning the Guanche mummies has been carried out, and definite dates that the mummies were produced are not known. The mummies were initially found by the Spanish during the 1400s as they conquered the island chain; other explorers discovered more over the next few centuries. Most Guanche mummies would have been made prior to 1400.

How were they made

Because the scientific study of Guanche mummies has been almost nonexistent, no analysis of the mummies found on the four islands has been published. Consequently, the following information is based only on the mummies discovered on Tenerife. There, the Guanches appear to have used three different methods for mummification:

(1) Internal organs were sometimes removed (this may have been reserved for individuals who were members of the highest level Guanche society).

(2) Special substances were sometimes used to embalm the body: soil and stone, various kinds of vegetable matter, and fat solids.

(3) Sand was stuffed into some mummies.

No matter which method (or combination) was used, a Guanche mummy was most likely dried out in the sun first. At the end of the process, the mummy was wrapped in animal skins, such as goat skins; kings received 10-15 skins, other individuals received many fewer. Then it was placed in a cave on a special mummy board. Finally, a stone wall was erected around the mummy. These factors (drying, cave burial, wall) also helped insure that the mummy would be preserved. (SOURCE: Conrado Rodriguez-Martín, "The Guanche Mummies." In Mummies, Disease, and Ancient Cultures by Aidan Cockburn, Eve Cockburn, and Theodore Reyman. London: Cambridge University Press, 1998.]

How many were made

No one knows.

What's special about them

(1) Mummification was apparently done on the elite members of Guanche society.

(2) Like the mummies of many civilizations, Guanche mummies were used and abused by various individuals--so much so that very few remain today. A large number (apparently well over half the preserved bodies found) were pulverized into powder and sold as "mummy"--a medicine often prescribed by medieval doctors for stomach aches. At first only Egyptian mummies were ground for "mummy," but by the 1500s, the supply of Egyptian mummy had dwindled. Consequently, Guanche mummies were used, effectively obliterating their dead and destroying whatever information the mummies could have shared with scientists about the history and prehistory of Guanche people.

Where to see them

Most Guanche mummies have been removed from display out of deference to the Guanche's descendants (and the terrible treatment that the Guanche mummies received). Older book on mummies, however, often published a photo or two of Guanche mummies; getting a look at one should not be difficult. At last report, perhaps the only Guanche mummies still on exhibit are found at the Museo de la naturaleza y el hombre in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The exhibit supposedly includes several Guanche mummies, skulls, and artifacts
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:59 am
bookmark
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 04:55 am
Mummification information found at www.mummytombs.com
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 05:22 am
Bob, absolutely fascinating info. I was taken with the process by which the giant squid is mummified. I had no idea that so many cultures used the process for preserving their dead, and that it was usually the elite who were singled out for this process. (with the exception of the Egyptians, of course)

Thanks for the link; I will read more later.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:55 pm
Wasn't Plato the first and only person of his time to ever mention Atlantis? If so it's probable that Atlantis never actually existed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
Yes, Ray, I think so, but the legend persists. One of my Irish American friends sent me this link:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/12/prwebxml184902.php
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:57 am
Actually,Atlantis is a conglomete(sp?).

About the time Plato was born,an island called Atlante(something like that was hit by a tsunami.

Part of the description of Atlantis is based on Carthage.

They were several Pillars of Hercules in ancient time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:04 am
I've heard Malta is possibly Atlantis. Dunno. Never really looked anything up on it but it's interesting, none the less.
0 Replies