Is there a difference between insurgents and terrorists?

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:28 am
I's like to give the the term, "Friends of Ronnie", for that loveable little chappie that manage to die only one or two decades after his brain had.....

Quote:
Congress passes the 2nd Boland Amendment, outlawing our solicitation of other countries to support the Contras. It is now also illegal for the CIA, Defense Department, or any intelligence agency to make efforts "supporting, directly or indirectly, military or paramilitary operations in Nicaragua by any nation, group, organization or individual."
President Ronald Reagan attempts to drum up public support for the Contras: "They are our brothers, these freedom fighters, and we owe them our help. I've spoken recently of the freedom fighters of Nicaragua. You know the truth about them. You know who they're fighting and why. They are the moral equal of our Founding Fathers and the brave men and women of the French Resistance."
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:10 am
JustWonders wrote:
I've always thought "insurgents" was a term used by the NYTimes to avoid offending the "sensitivities" of their readers.

Whenever I see the term, I immediately think "terrorists"...which is exactly what they are.

Well, you thinking it doesn't make it so. The word "insurgent" is used because it is the most accurate term to describe them. You can't use "rebel" because they are not rebelling, in their mind, they are defending their country against an invasion, not rebelling against their established government. You can't use "terrorists" because they are not all terrorists. Only the insurgents who use terrorist tactics are terrorists. e.g. suicide car bombers. Of course, they could easily label us terrorists too for wantonly murdering thousands of innocent civilans. It has been said one woman's terrorists is another woman's freedom fighter.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
Einherjar wrote:
revel wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
JanW wrote:
Most people consider that the politically-motivated destruction of property is included in terrorism.

Really? Nobody I know consider that to be true. Sabotage is not terrorism, only terror inducing tactics are terrorist.

If a source of water for a city is busted up for a political purpose, how is that not a terrorist act?

It does not promote fear or terror in the general population, or any population for that matter. It is an act of sabotage, not an act of terrorism.

If a big super power came into a country and destroyed a city's source of water on purpose, I imagine a lot of the people in that city would be scared thinking of what they will do next and also will be wondering where on earth they are going to get their water that is safe to drink. I imagine the people in that city is not really going to care if it is called sabotage or terrorism.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
Baldimo wrote:
Didn't the Germans and Japanese do the same thing during WWII?

I would say the US has learned better since then.

--------------------------------
Of course they did. And yes, I think that the US tries to do better these days, generally speaking. Nevertheless, I see it as a problem that the US defines out of existence the possibility that it has ever ordered terroristic acts.

Do you think the State Department's definition is correct in excluding state-sponsored terrorism as a possibility? If so, how can we accuse other countries of sponsoring terrorism if our own military has ordered such attacks?

The destruction of infrastructures in current military strategies comes close to terrorism, I think--although admittedly it is not the goal of infrastructure destruction to exert pressure on a civilian population (so far as I know).
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
Baldimo wrote:
JanW wrote:
The bottom line is that the US cannot be guilty of terrorism because state-sponsored terrorism is non-existent by definition. Clever, huh? Sad

Yes - but we know the difference between law - and reality, no?
----------------------------------------
Yep, I hope so.

The US government thinks that if it defines black as being white we will all accept that. Alas, far too many of us do.

Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki: All state-sponsored terrorism.
Didn't the Germans and Japanese do the same thing during WWII?

I would say the US has learned better since then.

I don't believe the Japanese bombed civilians, and even if they did, why do some people like you always bring in somebody else whenever the U.S. atrocities are brought up, even if Germany committed atrocities, does that make the U.S. atrocities ok.
What the U.S did to Nagasaki and Hiroshima is unprecedented evil, dropping an atomic bomb on civilians. And don't say the U.S. has not committed atrocities since then, remember Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Panama, Guiana, other nations in So and Central America, what about Reagan bombing the residence of the Libyan leader, and killing his 18 month old daughter, come on folks bomb am ans residence, with his wives and children in there, that is evil, and others that don't come to mind right now.
American terrorist atrocities are going on right now in Fallujah.
And what about all that CIA sponsored terrorism in So and Central America and Africa. You Americans need to get your heads out of the sand.

"99% of failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses" George Washington Carver

America stop making excuses for you government.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:06 am
dlowan wrote:
I was sort of pointing out that the thread is about insurgents vs terrorists GENERALLY - and you had, in mid-stream, as it were, turned it to Iraq.

I was also pointing out that your view that the opposition in Iraq is either "misguided people who need to surrender or murderous bastards who need to be killed" is extremely Amerocentric - to themselves, they are resistance fighters - like the French and so forth in WW II.

I guess what makes the difference, in the end, is who wins.

Misguided? Yep. I find it foolhardy, at best, to oppose democracy for yourself. Ultimately, the only folks that won't benefit from the transition are the people who'd benefit from the oppressive alternative. I have to assume many insurgents don't fit in this category and are therefore misguidedÂ… unless you break it all the way down to a male/female oppressionÂ… but then, at that point, they've slid into the "bastards who need to be killed" category anyway.

Our forefathers bled the ground red fighting for freedom, liberty and the promotion of free will on behalf of the individual. That is, ultimately, what the Iraqi insurgents are fighting against. Misguided is the kindest description I could use.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Our forefathers bled the ground red fighting for freedom, liberty and the promotion of free will on behalf of the individual. That is, ultimately, what the Iraqi insurgents are fighting against. Misguided is the kindest description I could use.

Liberty AND promotion of free will? Whether the will is free is a metaphysical question, not something someone can fight for!

Further, earlier in the message you claimed that our forefathers fought for democracy. Actually, I would say they fought for self-determination. And that's one of the things the insurgents are fighting for.

Think of it this way: How would we react if some other country came in and told us that our democracy is, in their opinion, broken because of voter fraud, and that it is in our own best interests if they come in and fix it, bring with them soldiers and bombs and so forth. After they had bent us to their will, what if they then decided that they needed to establish permanent military bases in our country just in case we might "need" their intervention in the future, or just in case they needed a base from which to attack Canada or Mexico?[CODE]
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
JanW wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Liberty AND promotion of free will? Whether the will is free is a metaphysical question, not something someone can fight for!

Further, earlier in the message you claimed that our forefathers fought for democracy. Actually, I would say they fought for self-determination. And that's one of the things the insurgents are fighting for.

Think of it this way: How would we react if some other country came in and told us that our democracy is, in their opinion, broken because of voter fraud, and that it is in our own best interests if they come in and fix it, bring with them soldiers and bombs and so forth. After they had bent us to their will, what if they then decided that they needed to establish permanent military bases in our country just in case we might "need" their intervention in the future, or just in case they needed a base from which to attack Canada or Mexico?[CODE]
I find your comparison too invalid for an answer to be of any use. Voter fraud cannot be substituted for the heinous oppression that was Saddam & Sons Inc.

Quote:
False. I accept your definition of our forefathers' fight, but that is not what the insurgents are fighting for. That is what they are fighting against. Their goal is iron fist control of 25 million people. Our goal is self-determination for 25 million people.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:40 pm
Kicky asked:

Quote:
Are the insurgents in Iraq terrrorists? It seems that in Bush's mind, they are one and the same. I don't think that's true.

Does it even matter?

Either way, they are fighting against the U.S. forces in Iraq, and by extension, against the stability of Iraq.

Now I ask:

Is there any difference in 'an insurgent' or 'an Iraqi citizen not wanting to be occupied by another country' ???
I have read it reported in lots of media, that the US govt. believes most of the fighters are Syrian, Iranian, Afghani or other terrorists who have slipped over the borders...
Nope, I do not believe it. I believe the Iraqi army KNEW it had NO CHANCE in 'war' against a super power, so they planned and planned - patiently waiting for small chances to wreak vengeance on the 'infidels'.

It would be hard to say from 'over here' what will finally happen.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:55 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Quote:
I find your comparison too invalid for an answer to be of any use. Voter fraud cannot be substituted for the heinous oppression that was Saddam & Sons Inc.

False. I accept your definition of our forefathers' fight, but that is not what the insurgents are fighting for. That is what they are fighting against. Their goal is iron fist control of 25 million people. Our goal is self-determination for 25 million people.

Okay, instead of voter fraud, substitute slavery: What if France had invaded around 1820 to eliminate slavery in the US? And, of course, just had to stick around for "reconstruction."

As for what the insurgents are fighting for, I'm not sure -- other than that they are fighting to get foreign aggressors out of the Middle East. But they could easily be fighting for self-determination: after all, the people of Iran have chosen a theocracy, and I suspect that's what many in Iraq would choose. If a theocrat wanted to run in the forthcoming election, do you think the US would allow that?

I suggest you watch the documentary _The Control Room_ to see what educated pro-democratic Iraqis think of the US invasion.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:15 pm
revel wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
revel wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
JanW wrote:
Most people consider that the politically-motivated destruction of property is included in terrorism.

Really? Nobody I know consider that to be true. Sabotage is not terrorism, only terror inducing tactics are terrorist.

If a source of water for a city is busted up for a political purpose, how is that not a terrorist act?

It does not promote fear or terror in the general population, or any population for that matter. It is an act of sabotage, not an act of terrorism.

If a big super power came into a country and destroyed a city's source of water on purpose, I imagine a lot of the people in that city would be scared thinking of what they will do next and also will be wondering where on earth they are going to get their water that is safe to drink. I imagine the people in that city is not really going to care if it is called sabotage or terrorism.

Any action wich aims to acomplish political objectives trough invoking fear and outrigt terror in the general populace, is a terrorist action. Any action which does not, is not.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
They are NOT terrorists, they are freedom fighters, fighting for their homeland, their sovereingyy, something all of us would do, if America was invaded by a another country. It is guerilla warfare.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
JanW wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Okay, instead of voter fraud, substitute slavery: What if France had invaded around 1820 to eliminate slavery in the US? And, of course, just had to stick around for "reconstruction."

Better, but still not valid. That would have been a noble cause and I think they'd have found the majority of the country in agreement with there objection. 40 years later half a million Americans died for that very cause. However, 1820s France didn't provide self-determination for her own people let alone her defeated foe. So soon after napoleon no less? There would have been no reason to believe that France would ever have allowed self-determination. The United States, on the other hand, is the world's best example of a society based on self-determination.

JanW wrote:
As for what the insurgents are fighting for, I'm not sure -- other than that they are fighting to get foreign aggressors out of the Middle East. But they could easily be fighting for self-determination: after all, the people of Iran have chosen a theocracy, and I suspect that's what many in Iraq would choose. If a theocrat wanted to run in the forthcoming election, do you think the US would allow that?

Is there some evidence that we won't? I don't believe the people have chosen, so much as they have accepted a theocracy in Iran. Nor do I think it just. If the insurgents believed the Iraqi people wanted such a thing, why oppose the elections at all? Wouldn't it make more sense to petition for their desired candidate's inclusion in the election?

JanW wrote:
I suggest you watch the documentary _The Control Room_ to see what educated pro-democratic Iraqis think of the US invasion.

Laughing Do let me know when it might be televised for free, but I won't be spending any money to see a film that praises Al-Jazeera.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:56 pm
Quote:
I don't believe the people have chosen, so much as they have accepted a theocracy in Iran.

There you go again making assumptions about people you don't know.

I have know only one Arabic family in my life. The family was friends with my parents. The man and wife were both doctors. I have heard from my own ears from the wife of that family express deep religious beliefs and she expressed deep disaproval of the loose American lifestyles and that was one of the few things she missed about living in her own country. They moved I think for economic reasons.

For that matter there seems to be a lot of educated Muslim women. Is it just the fact that they wear a veil that you believe that they have it so bad? I don't believe all Muslim states are like the taliban was.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
What would you call those who kidnap people and behead them? Insurgents or terrorists. Does the term define their actions or actions define the term.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:13 pm
au1929 wrote:
What would you call those who kidnap people and behead them?

Insane.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:48 pm
JustWonders
Insane insurgents or terrorists Idea
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:55 pm
revel wrote:
For that matter there seems to be a lot of educated Muslim women. Is it just the fact that they wear a veil that you believe that they have it so bad? I don't believe all Muslim states are like the taliban was.
Shocked Revel, you never cease to amaze me. Of course there are degrees to all things but in this case there's bad and there's worse. Read what some folks who've left Islam have to say about it here. <shakes head in disbelief>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:59 pm
Bill, you do realize that you just shook your head in disbelief at the mirror argument of yours, don't you?

Yes, some ex-muslims hate it. And some educated islamic women don't. And both statements are an appeal to authority.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bill, you do realize that you just shook your head in disbelief at the mirror argument of yours, don't you?

Yes, some ex-muslims hate it. And some educated islamic women don't. And both statements are an appeal to authority.
Kicky, you haven't kept up with the other threads Revel's been posting on. I have no problem with Muslim faith. I have a problem with it being forced on people against their will. A suggestion that I disapprove of this because of the outfits the women wear is well worthy of a head-shake in disbelief. Laughing
What "appeal to authority" are you talking about?
0 Replies