59 yr old woman pregnant! OMG- Great, or scary a thought?

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
http://cnn.health.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=CNN.com+-+Great-grandmother+set+to+deliver+twins+-+Nov+12%2C+2004&expire=12%2F12%2F2004&urlID=12264733&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2004%2FHEALTH%2Fparenting%2F11%2F12%2Fpregnant.59.ap%2Findex.html&partnerID=2012

Quote:
Great-grandmother set to deliver twins
Birth would break record set Tuesday by New York woman

SYLVESTER, Georgia (AP) -- A 59-year-old great-grandmother is pregnant with twins and will deliver next month, three decades after she had her tubes tied. "They came untied," Frances Harris said Thursday.

The multiple birth December 21 would break the purported record set this week by a 56-year-old New York City mother of twins.

Harris, of rural Sylvester, Georgia, said she wasn't trying to get pregnant -- and didn't realize she was -- until she started gaining weight and went to see her doctor.

"A lot of things changed about me," she said. "I started craving grapes and apples, things I don't usually crave. By then I was four months pregnant."

When the doctor broke the news, "They had to sit me down. I couldn't even talk," she said.

The news was even more shocking considering Harris -- the mother of five, grandmother of 14 and great-grandmother of six -- had her tubes tied 33 years ago after the birth of her youngest child.

Harris had her first child when she was 15; 44 years will separate her first-born from the newborns. She was divorced years ago from the twins' father, 60-year-old Raymond Harris, a heavy equipment operator. She said they will remarry before the birth.

The oldest American believed to have given birth to twins is Aleta St. James, a single mother who turns 57 on Friday. She gave birth Tuesday by in-vitro fertilization at New York City's Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show 263 children were born to women between ages 50 and 54 in 2002. The oldest American to give birth is Arceli Keh, of California, who was 63 when she had a daughter in 1996.

Harris said some family members, concerned about health complications, had suggested she end the pregnancy.

"I couldn't live with myself," she said. "I pray we all three pull through. When they're so little, they're so beautiful. I think they are God's gift."

I find it strangely encouraging... I would love to be fertile into my 50s... but horrifying in its oopsy-daisy-ness... Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:03 pm
Personally if I'd found out I was pregnant at the age of 59, I'd have been looking into abortion or adoption.

I'm not talking about a Divine Plan or presuming to know the mind of the goddess, but motherhood is for people without bifocals and arthritis.

All the same, she's due to deliver and I wish her well.

I always wish the babies well, no matter how self-serving the mothers were in contriving the pregnancy, but this is one mother making the best of an unusual situation.

I hope she lives to see her youngest kids to adulthood.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:39 am
I would sue the doctor who tied her tubes for malpractice! :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:05 pm
Noddy, that was one of the first questions when I found out I was pregnant at 39. "Can I still take my arthritis medicine?" The answer was no. Sad

Bbbbbbbut.....59?!

Oh my God.

Chances are she will NOT live to see them to adulthood. Statistically, the average lifespan is still around 74, no? And I would think dealing with twin babies in your 60s would surely shorten it even more.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:37 pm
Eva--

My second mother-in-law found that she was pregnant at 49.
She lived to be 85, but I'm sure the Little Bundle of Joy was literally time consuming.

Of course, we are told to keep active....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:32 am
Active is one thing, Noddy. Constantly exhausted at age 60 is quite another. I cannot believe that would be good for her health.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
" I like my cigar but I take it out once in awhile"

Groucho Marx
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
Eva--

I wasn't clear about my opinion of the active benefits of chasing grandchildren. I'm of an age when many of my friends' children assume that granny would be delighted to babysit for mama's work week--or for get away weekends. They also proclaim what a good thing this is for granny!

No thanks to combining motherhood and social security.
0 Replies