My Husband Changing His Mind............

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
My husband and I have been together 7 years and married for 1 year. He has a daughter from a previous who is 7 that we have 50% of the time. I have been in her life since she was 5 mos. old and I consider her my daughter.

After discussing all of the details about how we would manage another child, we decided it was time to get pregnant and I did in Jan. only to have a miscarriage two months into pregnancy. I had a strange very saddening feeling that my husband was a little releived and since then I have not discussed trying again and he has not either.

The other night I asked him how he really felt about having another child and he said that kids are a pain in the ass and a burden and that I should be happy just having my step daughter. I almost died!! I asked him what has changed since we tried in Jan and he said nothing and that he just wanted to make me happy. He also said, in the same conversation, that he does not know if he will ever want another child or not.

What am I supposed to do? I am going to be 30 this year and am I supposed to wait around for him until I am 40 only for him to tell me he has made up his mind and does not want any more kids?? We have always talked about having another child together and he had been excited about how he would spend time with he/she and how nice it would be to have a child that did not have to go back and forth during the week. I don't know what to do, I feel that this is a deal breaker but I have my step daughter to consider and I don't want to break her heart by leaving. Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
What has changed his mind?

Until you know what is making him feel like this I don't think there is much else you can do. Talk to him and perhaps get a third party involved (like a counselor)if it becomes to intense.

Good luck and WELCOME TO A2K.
0 Replies

hellafunchick

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:30 pm
He can't answer that question for me and he refuses to go to counseling with me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:33 pm
Definitely agree with JP.

It could be that he doesn't even know -- it could be an unconscious response to the grief of the miscarriage. Defensive, not wanting to open himself up like that to heartbreak. I saw a quote somewhere about how having a child is like having your heart walk around outside your chest -- you suddenly have so much less control over the possibilities for catastrophic hurt. All of that comes with the corollary of immense happiness, though, two sides of the same coin.

At any rate, I think your desire to get this resolved one way or another is understandable and wise. As JP says, it might be easiest in a counseling sort of situation, in terms of having a professional involved who is able to read cues/ ask the right questions to get to the bottom of why your husband feels like this, too.

Good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:35 pm
Oh, missed you there hellafunchick. My second paragraph seems to apply, regardless.

Counseling for just you can both give you insight and help you figure out what to do, if he refuses to go.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:25 pm
I agree...he may not want to get pregnant again for fear that he will lose another baby. He might be lashing out because he doesn't know how else to deal with it. People often neglect the father of a miscarriage because naturally it is the mother who physically deals with it. But many man are intensely effected.
0 Replies