NC congressman Coble defends internment of Japanese American

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 09:33 pm
I think we'd be dim-witted indeed to assume that the type of mistake made with Japanese internment is something that can't happen again. The wrong circumstances, and the wrong sort of people in places of power, and off we go.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:40 pm
After reading the article, I would say C.I. is not over-reacting in the least! Coble sounds like a total bigot. No one that ignorant should have a position in the Homeland Security Department or anywhere else where they are making decisions that are affecting the lives of anyone anywhere.

I sincerely hope Coble is quickly dethroned.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:43 pm
Thank you for all the support. I really appreciate it, because it shows you understand where I'm coming from. c.i.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:58 pm
c.i., I think I mentioned this once upon a time in Abuzz. I live about 35 miles from where the Tulelake, CA internment camp was. I can't remember if you said that's where you were "detained" or not (the word "imprisoned" would be a better choice, in my opinion).

Being that close, it's a part of the local history, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of that whole mess, although those who lived it, like you, would know the most about it. I'm not sure when I first heard about the internment camps, but I think it was when I was in elementary school. I remember being astounded and thinking "but this is America, the land of the free!"

We can't take anything for granted. If it could happen once, it could happen again and we have to be vigilante in our efforts to make sure all Americans are treated fairly and are able to enjoy the freedoms that make this country great. Obviously, Coble doesn't understand that concept, and I reiterate - he should be on his way out now!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:17 pm
Hi Chat, Yes, we were in Tule Lake. It was okay for me, because I was six years old when we went into the camps. Children has an amazing ability to acclimate to almost any environment. It was unbearable for the older generation, people who owned businesses or farms, working, and/or going to school. Our mother was a young woman with three small children, and it amazes me to this day to think she managed to handle the three of us, leave almost everything we owned (which wasn't much), and move into a concentration camp. It was a concentration camp with barbed wire fence and watch towers with soldiers with rifles. It was not a "relocation" camp as the government likes to call them. We lived in tar-papered shacks with cracks in the floor boards. We had one pot-bellied stove in the middle of a room about 15 x 20 feet, and the four of us lived in that for four years. We had snow in the winter, and sand storms in the summer. The conditions were terrible for the older folks. I do not want to see any other American live like we did - in "relocation" centers with armed guards, loss of freedoms, with no charge of any crime - except for looking different. c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:31 pm
It is not an empty fear. One need only imagine another one or two effective terrorist attacks, and the stresses on the system will give much increased power in the hands of people like Coble. Or John Ashcroft. Look for the people who need simple answers and simple means of identifying 'the enemy' and you have the boys who will start hacking up civil liberties with zest and abandon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:37 pm
blatham, It's already begun. Most Arab/Muslim Americans have begun to lose their freedoms. Immediately after nine-eleven, anybody that looked like an Arab or Muslim became suspect, and a Indian man was killed, because he looked like a Arab/Muslim. All Arabs are required to register with the INS. It's begun. Where does it end? c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:08 am
Coble's remark was reprehensible. It would seem many highly visible Republicans attended the same Charm School. At the very least, this latest incident should bring about some effort at "Sensitivity Training" for Republicans. Otherwise, the Republicans could bring about world peace and global prosperity come November of '04 and still talk themselves out of office.

The arrogance and ignorance indicated by such comments, however, is merely symptomatic of a cultural flaw of The Americans which spans party, gender, and generational lines. At least the ones who speak out from a public position can be removed from power or influence, but that still leaves the underlying problem.

timber
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:23 am
timber

Yes, I don't think this is an issue related to political philosophy, though it might have a correlation with fairly long term and entrenched power structures (and that may have a correlation with party affiliation in some areas, ie., the south).

I think you are right to suggest other factors as causal. I'd point to geographic and cultural insularity, if I was a pointer. Several years ago, as I was planning to teach in Asia for a bit, I presented my daughter with the options of coming with me or joining mom in LA for two years to complete grades 11 and 12. She chose LA. A week after beginning her high school tenure there, she wrote me an email expressing utter shock (not exaggerated) at how little knowledge or interest of the rest of the world many of her fellow students demonstrated. I ought to clarify that this topic had never previously arisen between us...it was tabula rasa surprise.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:42 am
Thought that my latest thread might be of interest:

Link to "Patriot II" Thread
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:01 pm
There might be some hope: The San Jose Mercury News has an article on "Boards to monitor anti-terrorist project" in today's paper. Essentially, the article claims that a high level board will oversee the Total Information Awareness Project to ensure that it conforms with US law, constitutional freedoms, and privacy concerns. Senator Diane Feinstein seems to be aware of this project, and hopefully she will ensure that any new laws be processed through congress after public debate. The seven member board will include Casper, Coleman, civil rights attorney Floyd Abrams, former US Attorney General Griffin Bell, and Zoe Baird. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:05 pm
IMHO, President Roosevelt has strongly exaggerated in his attempt to provide homeland security: he applied too simple and inhumane solution to the difficult problem. Majority of the Japanese Americans were loyal citizens, but a small minority might have posed some danger as potential collaborators with enemy. Surveillance of the Japanese Americans under condition of war against Japan would be justified, maybe even temporary limitations in hiring to the governmental offices and military industries, internment was not.
The same refers to the Muslims living in the USA under present conditions. IMHO, majority of them are not involved in any hostile activities, but their community institutions must be under surveillance in order to prevent their abuse by the Al Qaeda agents.
In fact, ethnic origin is not always the main factor leading to treason: the famous nuclear spies Rosenbergs were not Russians...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:17 pm
Also, another major event in the history of the US was the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. The guilty individual was a WASP, Tim McVeigh. If our government uses their bigoted policies to round up all of the peoples who have the same racial/cultural background as the perpetrator, all WASPS should be collectively sent to "relocation" camps. How stupid can they be? It amazes me to see the likes of GWBush spend so much time and effort to seek the downful of a Saddam who is a known tyrant, but no danger to the US. If he wants to reduce terrorism, he must put all of his energies into helping the crisis in Israel and Africa where local problems will continue to pursist for many years to come. Helping the Israelis, Palestinians, and blacks will reduce human misery, and help the cause of human suffering. His christian background should have taught him something! c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:22 pm
C.I., George W. Bush is already helping to settle a conflict between Israel and Palestinians. His plan of settling the conflict (the so called "Road Maps") is the most acceptable, since it takes into consideration Israeli security requirements. PM Sharon has already started its implementation by managing contacts with moderate Palestinian leaders. Meanwhile the local armistices are under discussion, but these may pave way to ceasing violence and resuming negotiations.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:27 pm
steissd, That's the best news I've heard in a long while. Thanks for sharing. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:33 pm
It is too early to assess the possible results. Egyptian authorities try to persuade Hamas and Islamic Jihad to put end to terror attack and to support effort of the Quartet in establishing peace in the area, but the leaders of these groups refuse. And IDF actions will not end until there are terror attacks on Israeli civilians and soldiers. PM Sharon has already undertaken several attempts to start negotiating with Palestinians (his only precondition was ceasing of terror attacks), but all these attempts were void due to obstructionist approach of Arafat and Islamic terror factions.
But if the Palestinians think that any political negotiations are possible under fire, they err.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:40 pm
always nice to keep an open mind
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:55 pm
IMHO, two things must happen simultaneously; the Israelis must reduce it's settlements, and the Palestinians must cease its terrorist attacks. Almost impossible to coordinate in the present climate. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:58 pm
along with lowering the obstructionist approach of Sharon
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:59 pm
If this was upon me... The Israeli moderate left and center parties refuse to join the coalition led by Mr. Sharon, and this makes the latter too much dependent on the settlers' votes. IMHO, Mr. Sharon is ready to come to reasonable compromise with the enemy, but circumstances of the Israeli democracy prevent him from doing this.
Left and center parties are afraid that if they are a part of Sharon's coalition, their voters will attribute all the government achievements to the right-wing PM and will abandon them.
0 Replies