Reassure me.... a new mom.. that Im doing ok.

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
My sweet, mild mannered , smiley, happy baby has begun screaming like she has been hurt when I walk away from her. Sad

It started about a month ago. If I ever have to put her in her swing, or walker during the day to do something, she just cries and cries and it sounds like I have hurt her.
Is she insecure?? Am I making her insecure????
I hold her all the time. I play with her all day . I read to her, I walk her around the neighborhood, the house .. always. Everyday I do things with her. I am a stay at home mom and I devote my every waking ( and sometimes sleeping ) time to her.

Oh jeezzee... have I done something wrong?
Is this a sign of insecurity?
Or do all 8 month olds do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,319 • Replies: 24
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:08 am
Separation anxiety!

I remember that.

Oh god that wasn't fun.

I'll get something on it, just a sec...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Quote:
"My seven-month-old is glued to me. She refuses to go to anyone else, not even my husband. I can't even leave the room without her screaming. I need a break. Help!" This is something that many families face. Even the most involved dad can experience this rejection. It is nothing that dad did or did not do.

The first thing to understand is that THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL. It is called stranger anxiety and separation anxiety, and is developmentally appropriate for infants during the second half of their first year. Many babies simply become "glued to mom" for a few months. It will pass with time.

Now that you know this, what can you do to shorten this phase and get baby to be more comfortable with dad too?

Spend more intimate family time together - let your baby see dad and mom being close and affectionate. Moms, give your babies that message that "I love this man, he is safe and fun!"

Let baby hear your voice - moms, as you step out of the room for a minute, talk to your baby in a reassuring voice until you come back. Baby will learn that you are still near, and baby is safe, while you are in the next room.

Family walks - go for frequent family outings. Have dad carry baby around most of the time. Baby may be too distracted by the surroundings to realize he is in the "wrong" parents arms.

Above all, realize that this phase will pass. This is NOT rejection. It is development.

Dr. Bob

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/db2.asp
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
separation anxiety for sure....you will not be doing the child any favors if you hold her constantly...I'm no saying ignore the child.....but strike a balance....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
The voice thing was one I did a lot of. I'd have her set up in her carseat/ carrier with dangly toys in the bathroom when I took a shower, but she'd STILL freak when I drew the shower curtain. So I'd talk to her very loudly, peek out when I could, talk some more...

It passes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
bpb, not so much when she's 8 months old.

Quote:
. AP promotes independence. Attachment and independence can be illustrated by what we call the deep groove theory . Think of your infant's mind as a record into which life's experiences and relationships cut deep grooves. Suppose the strength of parent-infant attachment is represented by the depth of the grooves in the baby's mental record. Between twelve and eighteen months, a baby can recall a mental image of the most familiar caregivers. We call this person permanence . This image helps to provide a secure base so the infant can begin to move more easily from the familiar to the unfamiliar. The mental presence of the mother allows the infant to, in effect, take mother with her as she moves further away from the mother to explore and learn about her environment. The most securely attached infants, the ones with the deepest grooves, show less anxiety when moving away from their mothers to explore toys. Periodically, these babies mentally and physically check in with mother for reassurance and a familiar "it's okay" to explore. The mother seems to add energy to the infant's explorations, since the infant does not need to waste energy worry whether she is there.

When going from oneness to separateness (a process called "individuation") , the securely attached toddler establishes a balance between his desire to explore and encounter new situations and his continued need for the safety and contentment provided by mother. During an unfamiliar play situation, the mother gives a sort of "go ahead" message, providing the toddler with confidence to explore and handle the strange situation. The next time the toddler encounters a similar situation, he has confidence to handle it by himself without enlisting his mother. The consistent emotional availability of the mother provides trust, culminating in the child's developing a very important quality of independence: the capacity to be alone.

A toddler with shallower attachment grooves lacks confidence that his attachment figures will be accessible to him when he needs them. He may adopt a clinging strategy to ensure that they will be available. Because he is always preoccupied with it or else spends tremendous energy "managing" without it. This preoccupation hinders individuation, exploration, and possibly learning. In essence, the attachment-parented baby learns to trust and develop a sense of self. These qualities foster appropriate independence. Studies have shown that infants who develop a secure attachment to their mothers are better able to tolerate separation from them when they are older.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
separation anxiety for sure....you will not be doing the child any favors if you hold her constantly...I'm no saying ignore the child.....but strike a balance....

I have been doing just that. When I have to do something , she is in her swing / walker until I am done. I dont cave to the screaming and crying. I ( so to speak ) MAKE her play on the floor or in her walker. I do hold her alot but not as much as I did when she was a few months younger.
It has just been tearing at me that she has been doing this and I wasnt sure if it was ok.
>sigh<

Thank you Soz. that info was VERY helpful. I am going to let my husband see that so he can understand why she is doing this as well. Him and I have spent hours at night talking and crying over her new behavior thinking we have done something wrong because of her new behaviors.
My husband grew up with a terribly abusive father and was worried that he was , with out realizing it, passing on the insecurity that he learned as a child from that man. He will be so happy to hear other wise.
We have alot of cassette tapes and recorders in the house . Maybe it would help her if I recorded my voice and played it when I left the room??

>whew<
Nice to know that I am not doing anything wrong. :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
shewolfnm, I really recommend that you get some sort of baby care book -- the one we turned to again and again was "The Baby Book" by William and Martha Sears (who I keep quoting from their website -- askdrsears.com -- when you have these questions.)

You seem to really crave information, and there are a lot of books that cover these things. The Baby Book was our favorite, but there are a ton of them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
it'll pass...sozobe is right on....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
It's okay, Mom. I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job! Just that you are so aware and seeking info indicates you love her very much and are striving to be the best Mom you can be.

This will pass, as others have indicated. I would do what sozobe suggested and 1) talk loud enough for her to hear you when you are in another room, 2) play peekaboo as you do other tasks so she is reminded you have not really "disappeared" and 3) drag her walker into the room with you while you do dishes, make beds, do laundry, etc. She can learn to play independently while knowing you are still there.

I remember my niece at this age was playing with me. Okay, maybe I was playing with her. : ) This was when I was taking child development and psych classes so she kinda got to be my test subject during breaks. I would leave the room and then peek back around just as she got ready to pucker up to cry. We made it a game of seeing if she could tell which side of the wall divider I was going to appear on. Then, she turned the game on me. She crawled over to the dining room chair and turned her head so that her eyes were parallel to the chair leg.... She thought she was hiding! She couldn't see me (due to the chair leg blocking just her eyes) and she thought I couldn't see her!

Besides stranger anxiety, they at this age, believe that when something is out of sight it is gone forever. So, be sure to make frequent appearences.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
Yep, very good point about how developmentally, babies think out of sight means GONE. (Lack of object permanence.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:04 pm
[size=8]scary how much this reads like a dog training guide. seriously. [/size] Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yep, very good point about how developmentally, babies think out of sight means GONE. (Lack of object permanence.)

Why do you think that peek-a-boo is so popular with babies?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
Funnier yet, is how her teething biscuits look like Milkbone dog biscuits.. hahahah!

I never knew that babies thought : Out of sight..GONE:

Wow, it has to be realllllly tough being a baby.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
Oh, not a good point as in "I didn't know that" but good point as in "I forgot to say as much, thanks for pointing it out to shewolfnm as it's important".
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
Hmm.. she hasnt taken to peek-a-boo yet..
Guess I need to get started on that. .. NOW.. ha!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm
I think I've mentioned it before but I'm telling you shewolfnm you'd LOVE this book, and I think your hubby would too: "The Scientist in the Crib" by Alison Gopnik et al.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:15 pm
Ditto with the talking thing when out of sight. I still do that now with my 5 and 2 year olds. I even use the same words and songs when they were babies. It can be very reassuring especially at nighttime.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
shewolfnm, I really recommend that you get some sort of baby care book -- the one we turned to again and again was "The Baby Book" by William and Martha Sears (who I keep quoting from their website -- askdrsears.com -- when you have these questions.)

You seem to really crave information, and there are a lot of books that cover these things. The Baby Book was our favorite, but there are a ton of them.

Oh my God! That was my favorite book. I loved it so much. I also loved the birth book. I sent it to my sister-in-law who was expecting twins (just gave birth the other day) and she thanked me over and over again for it. I wanted to get the toddler book, but by that time I didn't have time to read (toddler plus new baby).

An excellent recommendation.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:29 pm
I vote for distraction as well. I probably shouldn't admit this, but at about this age I started using the baby einstein and baby mozart videos when I needed a 15 minutes of unattached baby time. I used to sit duckie in a high chair fairly close to the tv and play it. He loved them.

I'm going to duck now while everyone hurls things at me for using the television as a babysitter.
0 Replies