Thank God This Child Wasn't Aborted

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:58 am
Think of the love she'd have missed out on....given the conditions of her "funeral" one could make an educated guess on the warmth and love she was surrounded with in life......

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/11/child.in.trash.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,059 • Replies: 15
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:18 am
Stuff like this makes me so angry.

...may you now rest peacefully, Stephanie
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
So sad.

I don't really agree with the premise, though, BPB -- I know plenty of very severely disabled people who are nonetheless happy to be alive.

My position on abortion is that I hope it never has to happen, and I like to see a lot of resources that go into prevention (realistic prevention, not just abstinence for example), but if it has to happen, it should be safe and legal because it will happen even if it's unsafe and illegal.

Whether disabled fetuses should be aborted because they are disabled is its own debate.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
Evil or Very Mad What the f*ck is wrong with people!?!?!?!? This woman should have been aborted....

This kind of crap makes me sick. These kind of people make me sick. Who in their right mind could just dump the body of an innocent child ina trash bag and not think twice??

I hope that woman roasts in hell.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
sozobe wrote:
So sad.

I don't really agree with the premise, though, BPB -- I know plenty of very severely disabled people who are nonetheless happy to be alive.

My position on abortion is that I hope it never has to happen, and I like to see a lot of resources that go into prevention (realistic prevention, not just abstinence for example), but if it has to happen, it should be safe and legal because it will happen even if it's unsafe and illegal.

Whether disabled fetuses should be aborted because they are disabled is its own debate.

I have a disabled child....I assure you he's not treated like Stephanie...but I'd rather him have been aborted than treated that way....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
Ah, if we're talking about treatment and not the disabilities per se, yeah, I know what you mean.

That article only talked about how her body was disposed of, though, didn't say anything about how she was treated when she was alive. I could see that going either way (she was treated fine, died of natural causes, mother freaked and acted badly; or treated badly, died earlier than she should have at least indirectly because of bad treatment, callous awful mother dumped her in the trash because that's all she was to her, trash), not enough info.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:46 am
sozobe wrote:
Ah, if we're talking about treatment and not the disabilities per se, yeah, I know what you mean.

That article only talked about how her body was disposed of, though, didn't say anything about how she was treated when she was alive. I could see that going either way (she was treated fine, died of natural causes, mother freaked and acted badly; or treated badly, died earlier than she should have at least indirectly because of bad treatment, callous awful mother dumped her in the trash because that's all she was to her, trash), not enough info.

as I said in my original post I think you can make an educated guess....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:27 am
I've gotta wonder about an 8-year-old girl that only weighed 28 lbs. Even if she had serious health problems, that still doesn't sound right.

And even if she did die of natural causes, what in God's name was the foster mother doing? When someone you love dies, you don't put them in a dumpster unless you have something to hide.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:05 am
This just makes me ill. So the excuse is that the cause of her breakdown was having to take of care of 3 disabled children 24 hours a day. Well, sweetie, if you can't take the heat, don't take on the responsibility you freakin' moron. At this point, it's impossible to tell what sort of neglect was going on there beyond "improper disposal of a body," and that pisses me off.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:07 am
well prepare to get more pissed off...she's looking at 60 days in jail and 3 years probation.....good thing she didn't get busted with a bag of pot or she'd be off to jail for five years......how f*#ked up is that?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well prepare to get more pissed off...she's looking at 60 days in jail and 3 years probation.....good thing she didn't get busted with a bag of pot or she'd be off to jail for five years......how f*#ked up is that?

Very very, I would say.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
Hmmm - I think you are all very ready to judge with almost no information.

From the tiny bit of info in the article, it appears this woman has been a good carer - the child had severe brain lesions, and died from natural causes - so the 28 lb thing may well be absolutely natural.

It says, for what it is worth, that the woman had a "breakdown" - if this means a psychotic episode, for instance, she may quite well not have been acting rationally.

At the very least, I would think it unwise to condemn a person doing a very difficult job on almost no information.

Presumably, the court making the judgment DID have information.

And yes - it seems that, if the religious right in your country have their way, then such damaged foetuses may not be able to be aborted? perhaps until there is an epidemic of such cases?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:57 pm
I might suggest that sometimes the courts pass judgement on incomplete information, for the sake of expedience.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Less complete than you guys have?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:10 pm
I agree with Soz and dlowan. You can't make a judgment here unless you have all the facts, which we don't.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:15 pm
That is the problem. All the facts are not availible. My previous post was just stating a common practice in an over saturated justice system. If the evidence is lacking, give them a ride, and send them packing. Next case...
0 Replies