Vitamin E Might Make Heart Disease Worse

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:42 am
Many Americans continue to take vitamin E despite Heart Association guidelines saying it doesn't work and recent research suggesting it can interfere with statin drugs.

The study was an analysis of 19 previous studies involving a total of about 136,000 people who took vitamin E alone or in combination with other vitamins.

Quote:
Those taking 400 international units per day or more - the amount in most vitamin E supplements - were 10 percent more likely to die than those taking 200 units or less.

Most multivitamins contain 35 to 40 units of vitamin E, which the study suggests might be slightly beneficial for health, Miller said.

"I spend all my time trying to tell patients why they should not take vitamin E," Dr. Raymond Gibbons, a Mayo Clinic cardiologist and chairman of the American Heart Association conference. "Too often in terms of the supplements there's very scant science. In this area, we have the science. Vitamin E doesn't work."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041111/D869M0LG0.html

I find it curious that this article quotes the figure of 10%, while I have seen others that quote 5%. (I would suggest that whether you take Vitamin E or not, there is a 100% probability that you will die Laughing )

I think that the jury has not come back on this one, and we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I have this HUGE bottle of 1000 units of vitamin E. I shall have to decide whether to take the risk or not.

I think that I really need to read the full journal report, which is coming out in January. The article says "probability that you will die". When? From what? There is a lot of information that is vital, that simply does not appear in this article.

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 626 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:51 am
Found this, right from the horse's mouth:

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/0000605-200501040-00110v1

Editors' Notes

Quote:
Context

Does vitamin E supplementation increase mortality in adults?

Contribution

This meta-analysis of 19 randomized, controlled trials involving more than 135 000 participants found that high-dosage vitamin E supplementation (400 IU/d for at least 1 year) increased all-cause mortality. Benefits or harms of lower-dosage supplementation were unclear.

Cautions

Trials that tested high dosages involved adults with chronic diseases, and these findings may not be generalizable to healthy adults. Some trials evaluated multivitamin combinations. The findings don't clearly establish that the lowest dosage of supplementation is associated with increased mortality risk.

Implications

Avoid high-dosage vitamin E supplementation.

-The Editors

Looks like a tempest in a teapot to me!!!
0 Replies