TV Sound Problem

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 12:04 pm
We have two flat screen TVs. The one in the living room is so low in sound volume that I can't understand most of what gets said. The one in the bedroom is just right. But if I switch TVs, the one in the living room is still low and the one in the bedroom still is loud. Makes no difference if they are on air antenna or cable. The one thought I have at this point is, my computer is about four feet away from the TV in the living room. But when I turn it off, the TV sound does not change. What else could inhibit the sound?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,907 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 01:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Possibly sounds in the area are causing the difference. Your ears have to add in those along with the sound from the television; which, at least in appearance, reduces the volume amount you're receiving in your auditory receptors.

A sound/noise meter would ascertain the ambient sounds in the living room with the television off.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 02:03 pm
Do you have a cable box attached to the TV's?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The one in the living room is so low in sound volume that I can't understand most of what gets said.

Do you mean that if you try to raise the volume using the remote control it is too quiet even at maximum? How long have you had this TV? I must say that very few flat screen TVs have even half way decent speakers. Computer monitors are even worse. Back in the old days CRT TVs had big cabinets and larger speakers, (both good for the sound) but the modern sets seem to have tiny speakers that sound very tinny, especially the one with smaller screen sizes. This is why a lot of people add 'sound bars' which have an amplifier and two more substantial speakers. I myself have bought a lead which connects the headphone socket of my Samsung TV to the stereo input of my hi fi amplifier, with the floor standing speakers arranged on either side
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:18 pm
I use cable in one room, air antenna in the other.
I can sit two feet from the screen in the living room and still not hear well enough to follow. This on a day when I am all alone. One TV is less than a year, the other possibly three years.
Today I went in the bedroom to listen to a show.
centrox

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:49 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
if you try to raise the volume using the remote control it is too quiet even at maximum?
You didn't answer that. Also, has it always been thus? And have you checked in the settings that it is not in Night Mode?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:52 pm
@centrox,
It always stays maximum high. The TV remote and the Cable remote have both been used on it to raise the sound. I go into settings and nothing helps.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
But if I switch TVs, the one in the living room is still low and the one in the bedroom still is loud.

<clarifying>

if you move the tv's between rooms, the tv that ends up in the living room is quiet and the tv that ends up in the bedroom is loud?

the problem is with something in the living room or the living room hook-up, not with a specific tv - right?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 03:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Right. I have wanted to blame it on acoustics, but for the fact you can pretty much sit on it and still not hear it.
jcboy

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Could just be the TV speakers, try getting a sound bar, they work wonders!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The one thought I have at this point is, my computer is about four feet away from the TV in the living room.

how about whatever brings internet access into your home - where do the wires, cables, modems etc run - have you tried unplugging everything related to the computer and then testing it?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:10 pm
@ehBeth,
I have only turned the computer off. Didn't disconnect the modum. It's about 7 feet from the TV.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:12 pm
@jcboy,
My daughter did that on her TV. I just want mine a little louder. My wife has hearing aids and if you know somebody with them you know she can't tolerate a loud TV. So I need a medium answer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
given the problems you've had with the modem

https://able2know.org/topic/384059-1#post-6416921

I'd suggest giving it a try
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I will, but my wife is using the internet just now. Later in the evening.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 11:14 am
sound bars work wonders. I find that one makes all those mushy brit accents more easily interpreted by proper english listeners.
It also peps up the sound levels of the speakers.
All our tv is sent through our internet wire
centrox

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 11:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I find that one makes all those mushy brit accents more easily interpreted by proper english listeners.

Now here's a thing - I find my hifi speakers make all those dumb American accents clearer, but no less unpleasant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 05:08 pm
I found the problem. The TV has two remotes. I had personally upped the volume on both. But, my wife, who hardly watches TV, lowered one when I was not looking. Odd, because I remember checking both more than once. A loud volume plays havoc with her hearing aids. So I only want it turned up when she won't be bothered by it.
ekename

Reply Sat 20 May, 2017 10:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
The tv remote controls max sound and the cable remote can only go up to that level.

Adjust the volume using the cable remote only once the tv remote sound is satisfactory.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 May, 2017 10:30 pm
@ekename,
I didn't think the TV remote had been changed, because I thought I was the only person messing with it.