The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:15 am
Setanta wrote:
Shouldn't you argue that falls under the "peacably to assemble" clause?

No -- I think the court would strike that down because what happens in a marriage could never be characterized by any proper interpretation of the word "peacably".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:16 am
Good point . . . everyone here is on a roll today . . .
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:52 am
Thomas wrote:
Couldn't one try to make the case that when two people marry each other, that is a non-verbal form of expression by which they affirm their commitment to one another? That gay marriage, like flag-burning, is a controversial form of non-verbal expression that is nevertheless protected by the First Amendment's free speech clause? Has anyone tried to argue this in a court? If so, what have the courts made of that argument? (Sorry for spamming you with all those questions, but I find it interesting to work through these things.)

It appears that the plaintiffs in the Massachusetts case, Goodridge v. Dept. of Public Health, might have raised this issue. In a quick Google search, I found the National Legal Foundation's amicus brief, filed on behalf of the defendant, which attempts to refute the argument that marriage is expressive conduct. The court's opinion, however, doesn't mention the first amendment issue, so it is unclear how forcefully the plaintiffs may have presented it or how seriously the court considered it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:02 pm
Quote:
If you do not see the difference in your example and gay marriage, I fail to see how my pointing it out to you will make any difference. For about the hundredth time on this thread, marriage is the union of a man and a woman. That is what it has always been in our society and in most societies throughout history. Restrictions as you give as an example change the definition of marriage.

I have little reason or desire to object to some kind of civil union for gay couples, so long as it does not lead to any law that forces a church to recognize that union as being morally equal to marriage. They can claim it is morally the same and Christian churches can say otherwise. This would provide the legal benefits they desire. But compromise is not what the gay community (as a whole) wants or desires.

CR

Joe already spoke to this with typical eloquence. In precisely the same manner as earlier claims by whites that 'citizen' meant white and only white residents, you make the claim that marriage includes only such as you say it includes. That's not very compelling as rationale. It certainly does not trump the principles laid down in your constitution.

What does 'force a church to recognize...as morally equal' mean? That's quite an interesting notion. You seem to consider that even if the church you belong to will not be forced by legislation to perform marriage ceremonies which it prefers not to perform, that some oppression is levied upon your church if some other church or body in the community has a different moral notion and thus will marry them. Could you clarify?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
Chrissee wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
We understand you are a heterophobe Chris. You do not need to keep shouting it from the rooftops.

You asked "Did you choose your sexual orientation?"

Yes. I chose not to be a homosexual. That left one other option, heterosexual.

Oh so you really are gay then?

Yes I am gay. I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body and I love every minute of it. How about you?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
We understand you are a heterophobe Chris. You do not need to keep shouting it from the rooftops.

Yes I am gay. I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body and I love every minute of it. How about you?

Oh, so you are a transsexual then. Are you going to do the change?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:36 pm
visualizing baldimo as transgendered is beautiful

<where are Sam and Billie when you need them?>
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:20 pm
Hey, I found some help for Baldy, there is a surgeon who works next to one of my best friends who can do the face anyway, supposedly he is the best.

Here is a before and after:

http://tsresource.info/before-after.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:30 pm
This is just high-larious . . . i'll bet that runs off a lot of the conservatives--for a few pages, at least . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You still have another option available to you, McG:

http://www.carlcoxphoto.com/images/TuckerCarlson.jpg

Eunuch.

ohmigawd, I almost snorted out half a bagel. joefromC, you are bad! Laughing
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Oh, so you are a transsexual then. Are you going to do the change?

So Baldimo, just curious, are you just at the cross-dressing on the weekend stage, on hormones, doing electrolysis or what?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
Was Baldimo in Toronto for the weekend without telling the Tranna gang?

http://www.pridetoronto.com/

It was a helluva good party.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:55 pm
Well they did need marshalls, doesn't he have some miltary experience?

http://www.pridetoronto.com/dyke/images/ad_marshalls3.gif
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Was Baldimo in Toronto for the weekend without telling the Tranna gang?

http://www.pridetoronto.com/

It was a helluva good party.

I still haven't recuperated from this weekend's San Francisco Pride.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Hey, I found some help for Baldy, there is a surgeon who works next to one of my best friends who can do the face anyway, supposedly he is the best.

Here is a before and after:

http://tsresource.info/before-after.jpg

Where did you go, Baldimo?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
Scrat wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law: Having seen you criticized in this and other threads by people whose only claim to legal knowledge is based on an unshakable faith in their own self-righteousness and an immovable belief in their obscurantist convictions, I just want to say that I think you're doing a fine job. Your posts are informative, well-researched, and compellingly argued. Keep up the good work.
If you are referring to me, please note (if you can) that I applauded her for her legal knowledge, but castigated her for attacking me personally and accusing me of being anti-gay when I am nothing of the kind.
Well, that only like the 199th denial on this thread.
So unless you standup and scream how proud you are for gay people and support everything they do then you are a bigot or a hatemonger?
You entirely miss the point. This thread has been up for like six months but we have yet to find one honest man who will admit that he opposes gay marriage because he is a homophobe. Again, you might be fooling yourself but you are not fooling me!

No, I think you've missed the point, Chrissee, because I SUPPORT SAME-GENDER UNIONS, and I'm perfectly happy to have them called "marriages" if that's the will of the people in my state. THE POINT, is that you and a few others here can't fathom the notion of anyone disagreeing with any facet of your arguments without presuming them to be Neanderthals and bigots.

The fact that many people who have deigned to disagree with you may have done so because they don't like homosexuality, does not mean that everyone who ever disagrees with you does so for that reason. I disagree with some people's thoughts on the legal aspects of this issue. That's different than opposing same-gender unions. Get it?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:25 pm
You still don't get it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:31 pm
So unless you standup and scream how proud you are for gay people and support everything they do then you are a bigot or a hatemonger?
--------
That, and you have to pretend the Catholic Church welcomes gays.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
Lash wrote:
--------
That, and you have to pretend the Catholic Church welcomes gays.

Welcome gays? No more than that we recruit them. I rode on the Most Holy Redeemer Float in the Gay Pride Parade. A few dykes yelled the "Take it off, take it off" chant. But I resisted, didn't want to push Archbishop Levada too much, he had already fielded dozens of protest calls from right-wing homophobes like the ones we have here.

Worked the Holy Redeemer Beer Booth at Pride, helped raise a few thousand dollars.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:12 pm
Chrissee wrote:
You still don't get it.

That's fine. I'm pretty sure I don't want it. ;-)
0 Replies