The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:23 pm
When are all of you old haters going to realize that trying to prevent the LGBT community from getting their rights is like the Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke? Smile

I know many Lesbian couples with kids and it is just a normal thing. Here anyway, but in a number of years, it will be that way everywhere.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:44 am
It appears the legal issue - at least in California is settled more or less as Joe has described it. The California Supreme Court has made its decision and used the legal arguements and principles it has used and applied in doing so. Whether any net good has been done is another question.

From my perspective the only interest government has in marriage is in terms of the law supporting the basic contract involved, and in providing for the public benefit with respect to the offspring that may result from the marriage. All other aspects of the union(s) are between the parties to the marriage themselves.

Given that homosexuals can already choose to cohabit and contract to arrange their property as they may choose, there seems to be nothing gained from enabling marriage for them except for the perceptual issues of the status involved and the various tax breaks associated with marriage. (Even here I'm not sure of all the facts - can homosexual couples file joint tax returns & claim the "Head of Household" category?

All of this comes at the expense of the benefits conferred by society (and government) on married couples who raise children - heretofore presumably all "straight". Homosexuals gain in that yet another basis on which to declare that they, or anything they do is/are different from any norms is removed from our lives. Whether or not any net good has been done depends on how one evaluates the net effects of this tradeoff.

It will be interesting to observe the secondary effects with respect to employers and spousal rights, tax issues and the like, particularly as people learn how to use the now altered law for their benefit, perhaps in ways not fully anticipated by the Court. I suspect there will be a few surprises there.

"Homophobia" literally means fear of homosexuals. It is being cast about here as applying to anyone who opposes anything any of the various homosexual lobbying and support groups favor. That, of course is a distortion, if said opposition is based on any other motive - and I can instantly think of many other possibilities for it. For zealous practicioners of the contemporary religion of political correctitude, homophobia is, of course, a cardinal sin, and it appears that Cyclo uses it in that sense.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:32 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
When are all of you old haters going to realize that trying to prevent the LGBT community from getting their rights is like the Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke? Smile

I'll bet the dyke isn't very happy with that situation.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:00 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Given that homosexuals can already choose to cohabit and contract to arrange their property as they may choose, there seems to be nothing gained from enabling marriage for them except for the perceptual issues of the status involved and the various tax breaks associated with marriage.

That's simply not true. There are many property rights that married persons enjoy that can't be duplicated by means of a contract. For instance, only married persons are entitled to hold property by a tenancy by (or in) the entirety. Furthermore, in states which have community property laws (which includes California), only property acquired by married couples constitutes community property.

A contract also cannot protect a surviving spouse in the same manner as laws of succession. Surviving spouses typically have an automatic one-half or one-third share of the deceased spouse's estate if the spouse dies intestate, and often will have an automatic share of the estate even if the spouse dies with a will. In California, for instance, the surviving spouse is automatically entitled to one-half of the couple's community property (Cal. Prob. Code Sec. 100). Unmarried couples, on the other hand, can't acquire community property (not even if they agree to do so by contract), so the surviving partner doesn't have that protection.

georgeob1 wrote:
Even here I'm not sure of all the facts - can homosexual couples file joint tax returns & claim the "Head of Household" category?

Only married couples can file joint tax returns.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 07:14 am
Quote:
That, of course is a distortion, if said opposition is based on any other motive - and I can instantly think of many other possibilities for it.

Can you enlighten me on those other motives, George?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:51 am
joefromchicago wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Given that homosexuals can already choose to cohabit and contract to arrange their property as they may choose, there seems to be nothing gained from enabling marriage for them except for the perceptual issues of the status involved and the various tax breaks associated with marriage.

That's simply not true. There are many property rights that married persons enjoy that can't be duplicated by means of a contract. For instance, only married persons are entitled to hold property by a tenancy by (or in) the entirety. Furthermore, in states which have community property laws (which includes California), only property acquired by married couples constitutes community property.

Well, that's not quite true either. In New Jersey the domestic partnership law includes the right to tenancy by the entirety (see: Hennefeld v. Township of Montclair) as does the CA Civil Union law. The CA Civil Union law (AB 205) also covered the issue of community property and treats those in domestic partnerships the same as those who were married.

Quote:
A contract also cannot protect a surviving spouse in the same manner as laws of succession. Surviving spouses typically have an automatic one-half or one-third share of the deceased spouse's estate if the spouse dies intestate, and often will have an automatic share of the estate even if the spouse dies with a will. In California, for instance, the surviving spouse is automatically entitled to one-half of the couple's community property (Cal. Prob. Code Sec. 100). Unmarried couples, on the other hand, can't acquire community property (not even if they agree to do so by contract), so the surviving partner doesn't have that protection.

AB 205 covered that in CA as well.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:48 am
fishin wrote:
Well, that's not quite true either. In New Jersey the domestic partnership law includes the right to tenancy by the entirety (see: Hennefeld v. Township of Montclair) as does the CA Civil Union law. The CA Civil Union law (AB 205) also covered the issue of community property and treats those in domestic partnerships the same as those who were married.

Thanks for that update, but my main point remains true: property rights that married persons enjoy can't be duplicated by means of a contract. The fact that it was necessary for the NJ and CA legislatures to pass statutes giving domestic partners the same property rights as married couples is evidence of that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:20 am
fishin wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
When the most liberal Senator in congress, and the standard bearer for the left-wing of his party, feels compelled to stake out a posiion that marriage must be limited to a a union between one man and one woman, gays and lesbians should dispair, or, at least, cultivate patience.

Clearly, the strategy is to relentlessly chip away at cultural barriers until they fall apart, but there really is no sign that such a breakthrough is imminent.

This is not a Left vs Right issue. It is a Left vs the rest of the population issue. Activist judges can attempt to force society in a direction it does not want to follow, but over and over again we have seen that when democratic processes are allowed to prevail the issue is decided against same sex marriages.

These judges are not doing "the cause" much good.If a democratically supported statute cannot withstand an activist majority on the bench, the populace will be forced to amend constitutions - state and perhaps eventually federal. Judges don't get to overturn constitutional amendments.

With each minor victory in his battle, the pro-same sex marriage bloc pushes the general populace towards a US constitutional amendment which would be a major setback.

The irony of this mess is that the conventional liberal attitude towards marriage is that it is an outdated, and largely misogynist institutionn and yet it's the Holy Grail for Gays and Lesbians.

You are aware of course that 3 of the 4 "activist judges" that created the majority ruling in the CA case were appointed by Republican govenors right?

I wasn't.

I don't see how it it relevant, but thanks for the information.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:37 am
Quote:
The irony of this mess is that the conventional liberal attitude towards marriage is that it is an outdated, and largely misogynist institutionn and yet it's the Holy Grail for Gays and Lesbians.

It is not that it is a "holy Grail" whatever the heck that means. The issue is that two people who want to get married should be allowed to do it if they are both two consenting adults with the capacity to make an informed decision to do so. (have to put all that in there considering all the ridiculous arguments which have been made by those who oppose gay marriages.)

I personally believe homosexual acts to be a sin along with just trying to appear to be another gender than the one you were born to be.

However; I don't believe it is my right to force my own religious beliefs down the throats of others who might not share those beliefs and that is what banning gays does in a nut shell.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:39 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Finn, you are correct that the aggressive fixation to use the term 'marriage' even while scorning the institution itself is driving the effort to protect traditional marriage. And this would never have happened if the very people most promoting the issue were not so intractable in discussing any form of compromise. It is unfortunate because if everybody's point of view was equally respected, I think most states would have already provided the very protections the gay community says that it wants and the federal government would follow suit.

I would like to hear from somebody well versed in Constitutional Law, however, who could speak to how the issue might wind up for an opinion by the SCOTUS.

Meanwhile for the time being, I shall ignore Cyclop who purports to know what I have NEVER done even as he purports to claim he knows what I have posted.

The California Supreme Court ruling was based on the California constitution. In order for this issue to find its way before the US Supreme Court, lower federal courts must rule on it in terms of the US constitution.
I doubt that is part of the legal strategy of those in favor of same sex marriages - particularly with the current make-up of the SCOTUS.

I anticipate that Californians will vote for an amendment to their state constitution that will define marriage as being between one man and one woman and this will put the matter to rest at the state level until the supporters of gay marriage are able to persuade a majority of Californians that the state constitution should be further amended to allow same sex marriage. Right now it is clear that they do not have such support within the general population - even in California, which is generally considered to be more progressive than most states.

I don't think it's likely that the US Supreme Court would rule in favor of same-sex marriage, but if they did, we could expect a renewed and vigorous effort to amend the US constitution to overturn any such decision. That is a tougher row to hoe than amending any state constitution, but the support for it is probably there in the general populace who, according to many, would reveal themselves to be homophobic.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:46 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Finn, you are correct that the aggressive fixation to use the term 'marriage' even while scorning the institution itself is driving the effort to protect traditional marriage. And this would never have happened if the very people most promoting the issue were not so intractable in discussing any form of compromise. It is unfortunate because if everybody's point of view was equally respected, I think most states would have already provided the very protections the gay community says that it wants and the federal government would follow suit.

I would like to hear from somebody well versed in Constitutional Law, however, who could speak to how the issue might wind up for an opinion by the SCOTUS.

Meanwhile for the time being, I shall ignore Cyclop who purports to know what I have NEVER done even as he purports to claim he knows what I have posted.

The California Supreme Court ruling was based on the California constitution. In order for this issue to find its way before the US Supreme Court, lower federal courts must rule on it in terms of the US constitution.
I doubt that is part of the legal strategy of those in favor of same sex marriages - particularly with the current make-up of the SCOTUS.

I anticipate that Californians will vote for an amendment to their state constitution that will define marriage as being between one man and one woman and this will put the matter to rest at the state level until the supporters of gay marriage are able to persuade a majority of Californians that the state constitution should be further amended to allow same sex marriage. Right now it is clear that they do not have such support within the general population - even in California, which is generally considered to be more progressive than most states.

I don't think it's likely that the US Supreme Court would rule in favor of same-sex marriage, but if they did, we could expect a renewed and vigorous effort to amend the US constitution to overturn any such decision. That is a tougher row to hoe than amending any state constitution, but the support for it is probably there in the general populace who, according to many, would reveal themselves to be homophobic.

Reading on through the thread, I see I just reiterated what others already posted as respects why the California decision will not find its way to the SCOTUS. Embarrassed
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:02 am
Interestingly (to me anyway), the CA Supreme Court's ruling could be over-ridden as soon as this November. Apparently amending CA's State Constitution only requires a simple majority vote via refferendum and that's already in the works.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/05/17/calif_voters_to_speak_on_gay_marriage/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:04 am
revel wrote:
Quote:

It is not that it is a "holy Grail" whatever the heck that means. The issue is that two people who want to get married should be allowed to do it if they are both two consenting adults with the capacity to make an informed decision to do so. (have to put all that in there considering all the ridiculous arguments which have been made by those who oppose gay marriages.)

I personally believe homosexual acts to be a sin along with just trying to appear to be another gender than the one you were born to be.

However; I don't believe it is my right to force my own religious beliefs down the throats of others who might not share those beliefs and that is what banning gays does in a nut shell.

I assume you understand what the Holy Grail is, but if not, google the term and you'll quickly learn.

I don't consider homosexuality or cross dressing to be "sins," but I do find it interesting that you believe that you don't have an obligation (to society if not God) to oppose what you believe to be sin. We're not discussing imprisoning or eradicating homosexuals we are discussing accepting their lifestyle (which you yourself define as a sin) within the most fundamental framework of our society. Your religious beliefs are, of course, your own but it seems inconsistent for someone who accepts that "sins" exist is content with society enabling them.

It is also interesting that while your seem keen to express tolerance for other's acceptance and, frankly, glorification of sin, you have far less tolerance for the religious and political views of others.

The opposition to same-sex marriages is not based solely on religious beliefs, and banning anything is, in a nut shell, forcing beliefs, of one sort or another, down the throats of others. Nothing should be banned?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:32 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
revel wrote:
Quote:

I assume you understand what the Holy Grail is, but if not, google the term and you'll quickly learn.

I don't consider homosexuality or cross dressing to be "sins," but I do find it interesting that you believe that you don't have an obligation (to society if not God) to oppose what you believe to be sin. We're not discussing imprisoning or eradicating homosexuals we are discussing accepting their lifestyle (which you yourself define as a sin) within the most fundamental framework of our society. Your religious beliefs are, of course, your own but it seems inconsistent for someone who accepts that "sins" exist is content with society enabling them.

It is also interesting that while your seem keen to express tolerance for other's acceptance and, frankly, glorification of sin, you have far less tolerance for the religious and political views of others.

The opposition to same-sex marriages is not based solely on religious beliefs, and banning anything is, in a nut shell, forcing beliefs, of one sort or another, down the throats of others. Nothing should be banned?

Yea; I have vague understanding what the Holy Grail is thought to be; just think it is baloney, much like the Di Vinci Code.

I know it seems a contradiction. Jesus said to render unto Cesar the things that are Cesar and the things to God unto God. (Something like that) In my own view; I take that to mean that the world government is one thing and the spirituals things are another. Man has free will to accept God or not. Forcing someone to obey does not mean they accept or believe in God. So while I believe in teaching and "spreading the gospel" I don't believe in making it a law of the land. The kingdom of heaven is inside of us; not in our government.

On a political front I think it goes against the intentions of the 'founding fathers' when you read the Madison or federalist papers.

I am not sure what religious views I have expressed a disapproval of. I have expressed disapproval of mixing religious and government laws.

Things should be banned that hurts people or groups of people. Gay marriage between two consenting adults of sound minds hurts nobody. If we started legislating everything that is considered a sin in the Bible; we would have to start worrying a whole lot more than just homosexuality. Furthermore; I can't think of any reason to ban gay marriage than a moral or religious objection.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:42 pm
Is it even worth me asking again?

What are the non-religious grounds for opposing gay marriage? The non-homophobic grounds? What harm is done by allowing it?

Even though several anti-gay marriage posters here have referred to these 'other reasons,' none of them have explained what those reasons are, and I'd be really interested to hear them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Is it even worth me asking again?

What are the non-religious grounds for opposing gay marriage? The non-homophobic grounds? What harm is done by allowing it?

Even though several anti-gay marriage posters here have referred to these 'other reasons,' none of them have explained what those reasons are, and I'd be really interested to hear them.

Cycloptichorn

Pros & Cons
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
"Homophobia" literally means fear of homosexuals. It is being cast about here as applying to anyone who opposes anything any of the various homosexual lobbying and support groups favor. That, of course is a distortion, if said opposition is based on any other motive - and I can instantly think of many other possibilities for it. For zealous practicioners of the contemporary religion of political correctitude, homophobia is, of course, a cardinal sin, and it appears that Cyclo uses it in that sense.

Cycloptichorn

I restored my original quote to its entirety, just to avoid any inadvertant distortion, based on the removal of the context in which it was made.

Sure anything other than an unreasoning fear of homosexuals will do. Use your well-developed imagination.

For example one could be the opinion that the various tax breaks and contract provisions in the laws of various states were enacted mostly based on an original legislative intent of providing some economic compensation and protection for those who chose to bear and rear the children, who will later continue the life of the nation and pay for everyone's Social Security benefits. Making them available to everyone in such a way forces government to look to other taxes to replace lost revenue, and thus also to those child-rearing couples for whom the original benefits were intended. All you have to get your arms around here, Cyclo, is the principle that there is no free lunch.

Do you intend to imply that anyone who opposes the recent CASC action is necessarily "Homophobic"? A valid question here, given the opening proposition in this thread.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:23 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I restored my original quote to its entirety, just to avoid any inadvertant distortion, based on the removal of the context in which it was made.

Sure anything other than an unreasoning fear of homosexuals will do. Use your well-developed imagination.

For example one could be the opinion that the various tax breaks and contract provisions in the laws of various states were enacted mostly based on an original legislative intent of providing some economic compensation and protection for those who chose to bear and rear the children, who will later continue the life of the nation and pay for everyone's Social Security benefits. Making them available to everyone in such a way forces government to look to other taxes to replace lost revenue, and thus also to those child-rearing couples for whom the original benefits were intended. All you have to get your arms around here, Cyclo, is the principle that there is no free lunch.

Do you intend to imply that anyone who opposes the recent CASC action is necessarily "Homophobic"? A valid question here, given the opening proposition in this thread.

I think the vast majority of opposition is due to latent homophobia, yes. It isn't as if I expect people to admit it out loud, but it's been my life's experience that many fear gays, and are taught to disdain them by 'tradition.'

The problem with the 'taxation' argument presented above, is that many opponents of same-sex marriages have no problem with civil unions granting the same rights; our own Fox said exactly this above. Just so long as it's not called marriage. What is the point of this? I also think that it's odd that the same political party who consistently opposes same-sex marriage, consistently SUPPORTS cutting tax rates on pretty much every level. I don't see a lot of consistency there. Surely you would agree that it doesn't match up with the traditional Republican dogma of cutting taxes.

We do not base the tax breaks a couple receives on their level of fertility. There are many married couples who have no children, yet receive those same tax breaks; a same-sex couple is analogous to this. So I think that argument fails on another level. This isn't even counting adoption or natural birth from a same sex marriage through surrogates or the like; the need for compensation for the future generation is not defined by the sexuality of the parent.

The reason you see courts legalizing this is because it's quite difficult to present arguments showing that there is either

A) good enough reason to discriminate against the homosexuals as a group, or

B) any real harm shown to be done to society by allowing it.

Not because the judges don't know the law. Here in America, equality and freedom are not and should not be defined by 'tradition' but instead by impartiality. I think that impartiality and equality support the idea that all should be allowed to marry as they see fit, and that all should be treated equally regardless of people's opinions of the correctness of their lifestyle, provided that they are not harming others through their actions. As same-sex marriage has never been shown to harm anyone - and in fact, a great argument could be made that it acts as a stabilizing influence amongst a group who needs it - it should not be banned.

I would also point out that MA and CT and the rest of the world which allow same sex marriage seem to be getting along just fine; and I haven't heard reports of a marked drop in tax revenues for them, either Laughing

This was a long way of saying that, while I appreciate you offering a competing argument, I don't really find it to be all that credible after examination. It doesn't hold much water.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:31 pm
The facts aren't with you there. Declining fertility is already a serious problem among the mostly European countries that have so embraced the progressive policies you admire. They now face truly serious demographic issues, particularly including the near-term unsustainability of their generous socuial welfare problems, and the chronic difficulties they encounter in assimilating the increasing numbers of immigrants they need tio sustain their economies (and who often have far more "regressive" views on these social issues.)

Some countries such as Germany are scrambling now to find new ways to provide economic incentives to child rearing couples.

As for the rest, you are merely prejudging the thoughts and attitudes of those who disagree with you, and doing so without any factual basis for such sweeping judgements. In short you are merely substituting a new set of self-serving hypocritical prejudgements for an old one. Hardly an improvement.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:02 pm
Quote:
For example one could be the opinion that the various tax breaks and contract provisions in the laws of various states were enacted mostly based on an original legislative intent of providing some economic compensation and protection for those who chose to bear and rear the children, who will later continue the life of the nation and pay for everyone's Social Security benefits

One could pull out of his ass any number of reasons to attempt to justify marriage inequality but in this case, George will have to reach a little further in. So marriage then should be restricted to those who are fertile and of child bearing age? This is ludicrous. One could be of the opinion that obese couples not be allowed to marry as studies have shown that obesity is hereditary and obesity causes an undue strain on our health care infrastructure.
0 Replies