The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:17 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
The facts aren't with you there. Declining fertility is already a serious problem among the mostly European countries that have so embraced the progressive policies you admire. They now face truly serious demographic issues, particularly including the near-term unsustainability of their generous socuial welfare problems, and the chronic difficulties they encounter in assimilating the increasing numbers of immigrants they need tio sustain their economies (and who often have far more "regressive" views on these social issues.)

Some countries such as Germany are scrambling now to find new ways to provide economic incentives to child rearing couples.

As for the rest, you are merely prejudging the thoughts and attitudes of those who disagree with you, and doing so without any factual basis for such sweeping judgements. In short you are merely substituting a new set of self-serving hypocritical prejudgements for an old one. Hardly an improvement.

Well, this last post of yours was tangential to the topic at best. Opinions about birth rates and what should be done about them have little to do with the issue of equality under the law.

You avoided addressing the fact that the law doesn't show any real basis for discriminating against same-sex marriages.

Given that your last argument has been shown to be rather merit less, perhaps you could offer another one? The idea that taxation is the basis for discrimination against same-sex marriages is somewhat hard to swallow. It ignores the very real social prejudices that many of our citizens carry, which is the basis for the vast majority of the resistance to the concept.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:12 pm
Now that your counter argument has been refuted, you simply choose to ignore my original argument, and change ypur direction into a riff on anti homosexual prejudice. OK by me, but I can think of more responsible ways for you to withdraw and concede a point.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:19 pm
Nah - your 'refutation' wasn't plausible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:24 pm
Well then slink away !
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:46 pm
Quote:

The way to win the DADT debate - hand the other side a microphone

Quote:

Americans have come a long way on gays in the military
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:11 am
I have no problem with a gay man or woman serving their country while being open about their sexuality. Their blood is as precious as a straight soldier's, and I don't think they should be required to deny an important part of their identities if they are going to potentially sacrifice all for their nation.

However, I also can understand why straight men and women in the military might be uncomfortable with sharing close living quarters with homosexuals.

I doubt there are too many people arguing that we should require female soldiers to bunk and shower with male soldiers (or the reverse), so why should heterosexual soldiers be required to bunk and shower with homosexuals?

Of course the majority of gay soldiers are not going to jump the bones of someone of their same sex while in the showers, but the same can be said of heterosexual soldiers required to co-habitat with soldiers of the opposite sex. Never-the-less, I can clearly imagine the hue and cry that would be heard across the nation if the military required women to co-habitat with men.

I know that if I found myself showering with a bunch of women I would become aroused. I also know I wouldn't assault or harass these women, but I doubt that would make them feel very comfortable.

Why should it be any different for heterosexuals co-habitating with homosexuals? If the argument is that homosexuality is "normal" than we should expect the same "normal" responses from gays that we would from straights.

It's not right to elevate the rights and sensibilities of gays over straights.

Allow gay men and women to serve openly in the military, but also allow straight men and women the option to be segregated.

Seems like a fair and simple solution. Can we agree upon it?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I have no problem with a gay man or woman serving their country while being open about their sexuality. Their blood is as precious as a straight soldier's, and I don't think they should be required to deny an important part of their identities if they are going to potentially sacrifice all for their nation.

However, I also can understand why straight men and women in the military might be uncomfortable with sharing close living quarters with homosexuals.

It's this type of ignorance that has caused the situation to be perpetuated. And it is ignorance. What you're saying is let the ignorant hold sway when it comes to choosing to bunk in with other minority groups.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I doubt there are too many people arguing that we should require female soldiers to bunk and shower with male soldiers (or the reverse), so why should heterosexual soldiers be required to bunk and shower with homosexuals?

Of course the majority of gay soldiers are not going to jump the bones of someone of their same sex while in the showers, but the same can be said of heterosexual soldiers required to co-habitat with soldiers of the opposite sex. Never-the-less, I can clearly imagine the hue and cry that would be heard across the nation if the military required women to co-habitat with men.

I know that if I found myself showering with a bunch of women I would become aroused. I also know I wouldn't assault or harass these women, but I doubt that would make them feel very comfortable.

A large school of red herrings, Finn.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Why should it be any different for heterosexuals co-habitating with homosexuals? If the argument is that homosexuality is "normal" than we should expect the same "normal" responses from gays that we would from straights.

It's not right to elevate the rights and sensibilities of gays over straights.

What's simply not right is what you allowed at the outset. Homosexuals are not second class citizens yet you continue to pander to the ideas of the ignorant.

I'm sure that there were a heap of idiotic things stated by segregationists as reason against integration. Yeah, let's do protect the "sensibilities" of those who would discriminate. Makes perfect sense to me.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Allow gay men and women to serve openly in the military, but also allow straight men and women the option to be segregated.

Seems like a fair and simple solution. Can we agree upon it?

Absolutely, the history of segregation shows us that it is just the ticket to solve these probelms.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 02:48 pm
I should say here--defender of gay-itude that I certainly am--I wouldn't want to live in a barracks-type, open showering situation for a long period of time with people who were oriented to crave my parts.

I would be really uncool with that.

Would I fear nightly rape attempts? No.

Would I be uncomfy? Yes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 02:59 pm
JTT--

When men and women are segregated into barracks, which group is being deemed second class? Some things are just sensible. I think giving a thought to sexual orientation--at least considering it--in bed assignments is NOT synonymous with some -ism.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 03:26 pm
Lash wrote:
JTT--

When men and women are segregated into barracks, which group is being deemed second class? Some things are just sensible. I think giving a thought to sexual orientation--at least considering it--in bed assignments is NOT synonymous with some -ism.

Not the same thing at all, Lash. Who do you think would be deemed second class?

I don't crave every woman's parts just because I'm heterosexual. You make it sound like people who are gay have no self restraint, that they are simply sex fiends. I think that you'd have way more to fear from the rest of the military crowd.

It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that your parts have been craved numerous times already unless you've never been to a public swimming pool, gym, etc.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 03:56 pm
there is a certain dishonesty about the current policy, as it is well know that there are gays in the military, most of whom are known to those with whom they serve. However, it does demand that gays be discrete, which I think is a good thing. "do what you want so long as it does not become an issue for me or my unit" is the right place to be. If Gays are legally able to serve then they will legally be ale to flaunt their homosexual behaviour, which would be messing with the ecosystem in a dangerous way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 03:58 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
there is a certain dishonesty about the current policy, as it is well know that there are gays in the military, most of whom are known to those with whom they serve. However, it does demand that gays be discrete, which I think is a good thing. "do what you want so long as it does not become an issue for me or my unit" is the right place to be. If Gays are legally able to serve then they will legally be ale to flaunt their homosexual behaviour, which would be messing with the ecosystem in a dangerous way.

Jesus wept.

Is there no end to this stuff?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
there is a certain dishonesty about the current policy, as it is well know that there are gays in the military, most of whom are known to those with whom they serve. However, it does demand that gays be discrete, which I think is a good thing. "do what you want so long as it does not become an issue for me or my unit" is the right place to be. If Gays are legally able to serve then they will legally be able to flaunt their homosexual behaviour, which would be messing with the ecosystem in a dangerous way.

Jesus wept.

You don't like what I have to say....so what. IF you have a counter argument feel free to make it. I am confident that I can make a persuasive defense of my position.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:25 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
there is a certain dishonesty about the current policy, as it is well know that there are gays in the military, most of whom are known to those with whom they serve. However, it does demand that gays be discrete, which I think is a good thing. "do what you want so long as it does not become an issue for me or my unit" is the right place to be. If Gays are legally able to serve then they will legally be able to flaunt their homosexual behaviour, which would be messing with the ecosystem in a dangerous way.

Jesus wept.

You don't like what I have to say....so what. IF you have a counter argument feel free to make it. I am confident that I can make a persuasive defense of my position.

WHAT position...except some nonsensical meanderings about "ecosystems"

Oh please reason out how gays "flaunting their homosexual behaviour" is

a. Likely. Do you flaunt your heterosexual behaviour at work? If s, is it "dangerous"? (Well, for you it may well be, given your ideas about the okness of ******* kids and raping. but I digress....I speak of normal people.) Is it dangerous for all the gays who are already in the military to have people flaunting their heterosexuality (except where pathetically inadequate men feel the need to flaunt it by being grossly homophobic?)

b. How....even IF they did...it would mess dangerously with the ecosystem?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

Jesus wept.

Your only defense is that the presnce of gays around you tempts you to act on your latnet homosexuality and that bothers you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:36 pm
JTT wrote:
Lash wrote:
JTT--

Not the same thing at all, Lash. Who do you think would be deemed second class?
If we're talking about segregating people in groups that shower together, it IS the same thing. This is why men and women are separate. People with different orientations complicate it a bit. I don't think your injection of classism belongs here.
I don't crave every woman's parts just because I'm heterosexual. You make it sound like people who are gay have no self restraint, that they are simply sex fiends.
I knew you'd say this. This is why I stipulated that I didn't anticipate nightly rapings. I merely said I'd be uncomfy living in that situation. It would be the same if men were showering with me.

It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that your parts have been craved numerous times already unless you've never been to a public swimming pool, gym, etc.
I am very happy to be in possession of crave-inducing parts, but I don't take showers with people who are oriented to crave me parts...unless I mean business. Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:38 pm
dlowan wrote:

WHAT position...except some nonsensical meanderings about "ecosystems"

Oh please reason out how gays "flaunting their homosexual behaviour" is

a. Likely. Do you flaunt your heterosexual behaviour at work? If s, is it "dangerous"? (Well, for you it may well be, given your ideas about the okness of **** kids and raping. but I digress....I speak of normal people.) Is it dangerous for all the gays who are already in the military to have people flaunting their heterosexuality (except where pathetically inadequate men feel the need to flaunt it by being grossly homophobic?)

b. How....even IF they did...it would mess dangerously with the ecosystem?

In the military subculture private homosexual behavior can be tolerated, public behavior can not be. America still has a large segment of the population that identifies with the Christian Right, that believes that homosexuality is an abomination. This might or might not change, but for now the military is not the place to conduct this struggle. It does interfere with unit cohesion, it does thus interfere with accomplishing the mission, allowing the political struggle of the gay population to interfere with the mission would be dangerous. After the issue is settled in the wider culture come back and talk to the military, until then they have more important matters to attend to.

I don't remember where I saw this last week, but a new survey just came out that says that the majority of enlisted in the US army are in favor of allowing gays to serve openly, however the vast majority of officers are not. The way I read this is that most enlisted think gays are no big deal (as they serve already) but oficers realize that the change would force the gay issue to suck up a lot of command focus
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

Your only defense is that the presnce of gays around you tempts you to act on your latnet homosexuality and that bothers you.

Maybe one day you will wise up, will see that not everything that is believed to be true is motivated by personal bias. Sometimes logic directs the questioner to a particular answer. Sometimes the answer logic suggests is not the one that suits our own personal bias. Get over it... no whining!.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 05:26 pm
It doesn't matter to me that you choose to mask your homosexuality by lashing at those who enjoy being who they are. It doesn't affect me in the least since I have my rights as a citizen of California.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:30 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, someone has a pretty high opinion of herself.

Face it: the heterosexual men who have the most angst about attracting the unwanted attentions of homosexual men are the ones that homosexual men probably wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Just like anti-abortion activists: as George Carlin pointed out, they're always the ones that you wouldn't want to f*ck in the first place.
0 Replies