The Mac Thread

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:47 am
There you go!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:48 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
When the first iMac was produced the "i" stood for Internet, and subsequently it became part of the Apple trademark.

iTunes
iPhoto
iPod
etc. all are in relation to the internet.

Of course, the "i" could stand for innovative as well. Cool

Thank u.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 10:34 am
The spacebar on my keyboard simply stopped working yesterday. One minute it was working, the next, it wasn't. I couldn't even go online and get help because there was no way to create spaces between the words!

So I had to run to the Apple store this morning and buy a new one. Only fifty bucks and boy is it slick-looking! Plus, because the keys are only slightly raised from the surface, there's no way for the dirt and dust to gather underneath like with the older model. Very, very cool. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:07 am
Oooh! I want a new keyboard then!

My mac is continuing to give me fits -- well, the mac and the man. It's kind of like living with a leaky faucet and a plumber-husband -- he won't let me call anyone else to fix it, but he won't fix the damn thing. (I know, I have to learn how myself.) He's a computer whiz in general and has been promising to do something about it for, wow, a long time, still nothing. One of these days I'll just drop it off at the Apple store.

The main problem is the program I'm using (whichever program that might be) crashing out of the blue. Firefox's latest version has "system restore" when it closes unexpectedly, which has been a godsend. Now when Firefox crashes when I'm in the middle of something I just sigh, open it again, and click restore and I'm back to what I was doing. So it's downgraded from infuriating to annoying. Crashes, I dunno, 50 times a day? Something like that. Would so love to have that not be an issue.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:14 am
Yes, the new keyboard is slick and fashionable. Enjoy eoe!
http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

sozobe, that's unusual to have so many crashes. You should take your
computer to the Apple store and the "thinkfactory" guys there will take
a look at it, free of charge. I have nothing but praise for them; they helped
me restore an old MAC that is my daughter's now. All for free!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:17 am
I know, I know. That's the plumber thing. He keeps saying "just let me take a look at it first," and then doesn't take a look at it.

I think I'll give a deadline -- look at it by (2 weeks from now) or I'll take it to the Apple store.

All for free, huh? I think he thinks it'll cost and that's part of his reluctance, but maybe it's just a pride thing. (He DID figure out the original, extremely obscure problem -- a hardware issue -- but the problems improved but did not cease once that part was replaced.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:38 am
Take your computer in. Tell hubby you got tired of waiting and let the chips fall. But call Apple and make an appointment first. I don't know if you could just take in in before but there was someone today who wanted service NOW and the very nice young man helping me told her that she had to make an appt. first.

I came this close to buying a new set of speakers. Mine rattle a bit when I turn the volume up . But I fought the urge.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 09:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Yes, the new keyboard is slick and fashionable. Enjoy eoe!
http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

sozobe, that's unusual to have so many crashes. You should take your
computer to the Apple store and the "thinkfactory" guys there will take
a look at it, free of charge. I have nothing but praise for them; they helped
me restore an old MAC that is my daughter's now. All for free!

I don 't like to rain on anyone 's parade,
but I cud not stand that keyboard for more than a minute 's typing; ( I don 't care how thin it is ).
For the last 12 years,
I have been addicted to Microsoft 's ergonomic keyboard,
in 3 dimensions: very, very comfortable.

Going back to straight lines of keys
is like the Iron Maiden of Medieval torture,
or a brutally confining str8 jacket for my hands: FORGET THAT-- gross.
Life is too short for str8 jackets.
David
0 Replies