CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:19 pm
Lucky you jp Wink
Now you'll have double the fun.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:02 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Steve Jobs anounced yesterday that Apple will be switching from IBM processors to Intel processors. I know a few people that are already unhappy with this. Funny thing is, if you go here they match up the current PPC G5 chip against a Pentium 4 which, according to their own website, is no match for the G5.

After pushing the 64-bit G5 processor this seems like an odd move for Apple. Not sure where it is going to lead to, but I will seriously consider holding off on any hardware upgrades until I see where this is headed.

People like me are thrilled (if it will open up hardware compatibility). I like the Mac OS more than the hardware often (with the exception of portables, where the design premium is more useful) and would love to toy with Mac OS boxes without paying and arm and a leg for it.

Translation: I would like the option of using mac software on cheaper, if uglier, machines.

Right now it takes a lot of hacking to get it installed on an intel box.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:36 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
People like me are thrilled (if it will open up hardware compatibility). I like the Mac OS more than the hardware often (with the exception of portables, where the design premium is more useful) and would love to toy with Mac OS boxes without paying and arm and a leg for it.

Translation: I would like the option of using mac software on cheaper, if uglier, machines.

Right now it takes a lot of hacking to get it installed on an intel box.

From what I have been reading, you will be able to instal Mac OS on any intel based box but will not be able to install Windows on an Apple box. So it sounds like that will be right up your alley.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner I cloned my old system (a G4 running Panther) and put it on an external FW800 HD. It not only backed up all my important files but I can also use it as a startup disk incase something ever happens to the system on the G5 (tiger). I wonder if you could try the same thing and run both Windows and a Mac OS off of the same box by simply switching startup disks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:12 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:

Using Carbon Copy Cloner I cloned my old system (a G4 running Panther) and put it on an external FW800 HD. It not only backed up all my important files but I can also use it as a startup disk incase something ever happens to the system on the G5 (tiger). I wonder if you could try the same thing and run both Windows and a Mac OS off of the same box by simply switching startup disks.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't overcome the difference in chipset, the Mac OS is written for the PPC chip and would need some form of emulator unless a cracked version of the OS is used (all the x86 solutions I have seen require a cracked version of the Mac OS).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't overcome the difference in chipset, the Mac OS is written for the PPC chip and would need some form of emulator unless a cracked version of the OS is used (all the x86 solutions I have seen require a cracked version of the Mac OS).

Sorry... I meant once the Intel boxes came out and the mac OS was ready to be installed on them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 02:03 am
Ahh, hopefully by then I will find a way to justify the expense of mac hardware as well (every week I try, but it's just doesn't make financial sense for me to spend that much just to play with new OS features).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:32 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Ahh, hopefully by then I will find a way to justify the expense of mac hardware as well (every week I try, but it's just doesn't make financial sense for me to spend that much just to play with new OS features).

A part time job at an apple store will get you 30% off :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:17 am
Really? That's a heck of a discount.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:41 am
For real. I work with a guy who has a PT job at one. He Got one 30% discount for himself (one per year) and a 10% discount for friends and family. Plus he gets 10% off of everything else (software, 3rd party stuff, etc).

He said other good deals come when people return things and they sell for a "Refresh" price. Most of the time it is just buyers remorse and there is nothing wrong with the product. They are supposed to give customers first shot at it but hwe said most of the time it never makes it out of the backroom.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
I ended up buying a used ibook for $250 from a friend.

500 mhz, 384 MB

Just to play with mac OSes mo betta and to use as a DVD player when I use PCs for real work (kiddin' I'm moving some of my coding to a linux box, so that I can develop on the same enviroment I will use).

Anywho, the one-button browsing is just too stupid to handle for very long (I know mice can fix this but the only time I'd ever browse with the mac is in the bathtub or in bed or some place where perifs would be inconvenient) but it would be nice to get some coding done with it.

Thing is, the text editor is not coding friendly.

Any free text editors out there to recommend? The number one criteria is plaintext (again, for coding).
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:07 pm
Xcode contains an editor tool which is Mac friendly.

Apple

(You can download it from Developer site of Apple after registration.)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
I have modified the link above to the correct one.
Sorry for the former inconvenience.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:08 am
Thanks, I plan to install Tiger if I have time on the weekend, and will afterward look into text editors and the like.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:59 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Anywho, the one-button browsing is just too stupid to handle for very long (I know mice can fix this but the only time I'd ever browse with the mac is in the bathtub or in bed or some place where perifs would be inconvenient) but it would be nice to get some coding done with it.

Control-click my friend. Still a pain in the ass if you are just used to right clicking (I had to get a multi-button mouse myself) but it works.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Thing is, the text editor is not coding friendly.

Any free text editors out there to recommend? The number one criteria is plaintext (again, for coding).

just go under preferences for Text Edit (Text Edit> Preferences). You can set plain text preferences there.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:09 am
PlainText Editor
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Control-click

or if you are using Safari/firefox/opera "apple > click" opens up the link in a new tab.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
And Shift + apple + click does so in a background tab, which is what I use most.

I installed Tiger and am using my mac as an alternate internet puter and word processor.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:25 pm
How do you like Tiger so far?

I still have Panther at work (had font issues with Tiger and couldn't afford the downtime) but am running Tiger at home.

Dashboard is a waste. Spotlight is good but screws up other things like info for multiple items. The improved startup and performance over panther is what I like the best so far.
0 Replies