The Mac Thread

bigdice67

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
Hey!!! It worked! Awesome man!
And the the Annual a2k award for outstanding online help 2004 goes toooooo:JPINMILWAUKEE!!!

Hey Buddy get up here man, git yer prize, here ya go, why are you sweating so much? hehe, just kidding, bro
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 09:08 am
Thank you. Thank you... I'll try to make this short:

This is an amazing award. Such a wonderful night to be here and such a wonderful crowd. <getting choked up> I'd like to thank my childhood friend who knew what a modem was before I knew what a computer was... I'd like to thank my parents who got an Apple IIe when I was little. I spent days and days playing Bard's Tale. Next I'd like to thank my high school art teacher who had the foresight to lobby for a Mac in the classroom... here I learned the fine art of placing my friends into pictures which depicted them in very compromising positions. I'd also like to thank my brother-in-law who's knowledge of computers dwarfs mine. Next I would like to thank my wife... without her none of this would have been possible... she supported me through all of my learning and growing ... I love you. And finally thanks to all of my fans who have been there from the beginning and pushed me to learn even more.

Thanks again.... good night.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:56 am
Always so humble, this guy, gotta love him.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:54 am
Alright... fun application #1 & #2:

Butler (http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?thema=butler&sprache=english)

application launcher, file opener, bookmark manager, finder, itunes controls... and so much more all customizable.

Use in conjunction with dragthing (www.dragthing.com), application launcher and file/folder manager - and you can get rid of that, IMO, completely useless and always in the way dock.

Butler is free but they allow you to donate if you want. Dragthing runs $29 for a single registration code.

Both apps are really customizable which is why I like them. I use Butler mostly for itunes control and navigation. Dragthing I use for application launching and as a way to manage my minimized windows. Check em out... if you have any questions just ask.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:44 pm
I'll have to check'em out.
Then I'll ask a gazillion questions...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:44 am
New Q:
My friend wants to share stuff from his iPod to my iMac, and it seems futile. iMac -> iPod= no problems, but iPod->iMac, no go. Is there any kind of software available to do a reverse transfer?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:28 am
Yes there is... I use ipod browser: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14316

Not the best out there but it works pretty good and is free.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Thanks a million!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
No problem.
0 Replies

kita

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:35 pm
I'm rather curious... how much RAM do you guys have in your Macs?

Just got the iMac G5 on Friday with it's standard 256Mb RAM (who the hell thought THAT was clever???) am getting more next week.
Needless to say I am consumed by frustration this weekend!
I NEED MORE RAM... spoken ala early Frankenstein.

So here I sit with this gorgeous machine which I cant utilise. Currently using "retired" iMac G3 with the 400Mhz processor (ah shame).

For once Monday can't come fast enough!

I gather Tigers coming out in a month or so? Any thoughts?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:11 am
Hey kita,

What kind of programs are you using? I have 1gb of ram on an older G4 Model. I use a lot of graphic intense programs and usually have a ton of programs running at once so things are starting to slow down for me so I am thinkng about maxing out at 1.5gb of ram.

Tiger looks pretty cool. Jobs is really pushing this music thing of his though so a lot of the new features on tiger I would probably never use. They could be cool to fool around with though.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:56 pm
Ok, 2 days 'till delivery of TIGER...

Y'all gonna get it? I think I am, really.

RooOOAAaaRRRr
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:58 pm
I have received an email from the Apple Store that Tiger was dispatched yesterday. I haven't received yet.
Probably the date of delivery (4/29) is named.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 02:27 pm
I am going to the Apple store right at 6:00 to check things out. Looks like they have some really cool new features.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Like what?

I'm pretty happy with Panther, would take a lot to get me to shell out $$ for Tiger. (How much does it cost?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:06 pm
Huh? I like Panther too. Tiger, Shmiger, I'll stick with the one that brung me.

(until it's obsolete, of course.)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
The Dashboard feature is pretty cool.

It uses little "widgets" to display info on your desktop. Stuff like weather/stock quotes/phonebooks.

I am excited for Automator.

I do a lot of repetitive things when I am designing and it sounds like Automator will be able to help me out with that.

Safari has a cool new RSS feed to keep you up to date on all the news and different sites you monitor.

It seems like a lot of little features that might add up to be worth spending the dough on... but I usually wait to test drive before I buy.

Here is a link to Tigers page:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

It's $129 for a single user but if you know anybody who teaches or is in school they can get it for $69.
0 Replies

tamir

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
im thinking of buying a mac i currently own a a PC xp home edition pentium 4 nice video and graphics card hhaha lol soo my question is, is mac fast and reliable or should i get sun solaris or linux
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
I love my mac. Definitely fast and reliable (as of 10 months or so after I bought it.)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:30 am
tamir wrote:
im thinking of buying a mac i currently own a a PC xp home edition pentium 4 nice video and graphics card hhaha lol soo my question is, is mac fast and reliable or should i get sun solaris or linux

One thing you will never have to do with a mac is replace your video card again... unless you're into that sort of thing.

I for one love macs and would never use anything else. Depends on what you use it for I guess. If there is an Apple Store near you check it out. They have all their stuff on display and are very helpful showing you the differences/similarities between Mac/PC.
0 Replies