Why is Nobody Honest Here?!?

Letty

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:47 pm
and I am the same way with art, Soz. "...that's the kind of stuff we quit liking and go to appreciating..." a wonderful observation from a quy about Jazz.

TJP. Absolutely.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
I do wish that the August ever would defend his position, too.

Hee hee. maggots. Yikes! the neonate of deathly white.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
I wandered lonely as a cloud,
reciting Wordsworth to a crowd.
Smoked the poppy, crossed a bridge,
to Kubla Khan and Coleridge.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:43 pm
Very Happy Laughing
And don't forget that Xanadu,
The ecstacy of sound anew.
And Keats his lovely samovar
Does watch the frozen people thar.

While Browning's duchess on the wall,
Disdains at Whittier's fresco stall,
Then Poe dips quill into black ink,
And painted ships and boards do shrink.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:50 pm
e.e.
cum(mings)
vase con-
templates
comp(re: hence)
ss
-ion
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
daddy had a harbour seal
we tied him to the heater
an every time he turned around
he burned his little flipper
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 04:58 pm
I guess everaugust can't take criticism him/herself!....Too bad.........

Apologies to Soz(?) for the whole "him/her" thing!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:04 pm
Well, despite 7 pages being written already (cool), this question was asked only this morning -- perhaps everaugust just hasn't checked back in yet.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:07 pm
If everaugust checks in eventually, it should be mentioned that this has been one of the more hot-seated threads in Original Writing, and kudos for that. He should however, also make an appearance...and I hope he does.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:08 pm
This thread was opened at 5:40 a.m.--barely 12 hours ago.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
I guess everaugust can't take criticism him/herself!....Too bad.........

Some people have agreed with everaugust, though, adjusting his ideas in a constructive way that seems to have given us a new way of looking at Original Writing, I hope, and for that, we shouldn't be insulting him, even if his post might have been a bit harsh.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
Ok, Ok...I guess I may be jumping the gun a little!!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:30 pm
Heh. Smile
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:16 pm
I tried some original writing here, and I recieved very little feedback. What was given was useful, but this site isn't always interested in constructive criticism.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:18 pm
I post stuff all the time. I find it a good place to not only share my thoughts, but also have somewhere to store them.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:08 pm
man this was a LONG thread to read... a lot of long post... i personally dont think that I am good enough to give critism. i think that is something better left to those who know more then me. as for comments I like to give for they encourage... peple do not like to post if they do not get encouragement and if there is no encouragement then they will not post and will not beable to get the needed critism.. just my thoughts..
0 Replies

everaugust

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:08 am
Wow!!

I had no idea last night when I originally posted that by this afternoon I`d have a stack of replies to sort through. (I`m in Japan...there`s quite the time difference...also to blame for my late reply)

However, I am really pleased to see so many people respond.

(I am male by the way)

Sozobe seemed to be on the same page as me as were a few timid others who admited that they would have liked to have offered more truthful criticism but were afraid of stepping on people`s toes.

The truth is, I think we are all on here to learn about art and writing. I`m taking it that most people want to become better writers. My post wasn`t aimed at shitty poets (Lord knows we all started as shitty poets and every once in a while turn out a turd so foul we can`t stand it ourselves - in keeping with that wonderful anal poem that was shared) but at those who don`t respect art enough to point out the monstrosities that appear for fear of hurting someone`s feelings.

To the authours of said shitty poetry and said tender toes, if you spew your feelings into a poem and post it in a forum and say `what do you think?!` - what are you expecting? Poetry isn`t tear duct for weak-souled creatures. It is powerful and has force and strength. Poets need to be the same.

And I disagree completely with poetry being subjective. One`s taste in poetry can be subjective, but the poetry itself must be measured against artistic minimums. I loved the anal poem (I haven`t finished reading my Ginsberg Collection yet so I have no idea if it is him or not, but agree that he`s the most likely choice). But if you didn`t love for contents` sake, then you ought to have loved it for form, creativity, and execution.

We can be objective when looking at art and admit that a painting we wouldn`t dare hang in our livingrooms, is indeed, brilliant. And we can also say that those pictures on our walls are poorly done, simple, and jejune, but that we love them anyway for personal reasons.

I`m not arrogant and who knows, my poetry might be shite, but regardless of what I myself can turn out, I can still judge poetry against certain aesthetic standards. When Siskel & Ebert critique a movie, are they saying `we could have directed/acted/produced better...therefore, we give it two thumbs down!`?

So my poetry isn`t the issue, nor my number of posts (I didn`t know web forums worked by seniority). I think anyone who cares about art and is production would feel the same way.

Loved the Bush and Dick poem too, in a sing-songy way.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:51 am
Welcome to A2K everaugust.

I like your style.

You even made me post on the Original Writing forum. I never thought that would happen.
0 Replies

mcroyver

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:22 am
Hi to all!

Newbie here from the Philippines. I read this thread and I must say that I am really amazed by the changes of ideas here. I do hope that someday I could post my 'writings' here, if you could call them that.

But by the postings that I just read, I believe I should armed myself first with lots of poetic words, similies and metaphors. I'm afraid that I might get some really 'honest' opinions.

In the meantime, like what I said, I'm just a newbie. I have a lot of catching up to do. This board has lots of postings to read, and I'm really enjoying reading them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:30 am
Nicely stated everaugust. I think a lot of us are on the same page now regarding criticism I look forward to seeing some of your work. Yes, the anal poem was Ginsberg, and I personally love it. I saw him read it, and selections from White Shroud in Buffalo. I had brought my copies of Howl and White Shroud with me and happened to run into him and his entourage at the restaurant I ate at before the show. He signed and illustrated the books for me right there at the table. Those are two books I will never part with.
0 Replies