The Second-Term Cabinet; Who should go, who should stay?

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:13 am
Some changes are inevitable. Attorney General Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Evans have already tendered resignations. Ashcroft's resignation was not only predictable but expected, Evans' essentially unforseen. Who do you think should, or will, replace them, and why do you favor your nominee?

Which other Cabinet Members do you think should, or will, be replaced, for what reasons, and by whom? Which Cabinet Members would you like to see remain, and why?

Don't feel you have to address every Cabinet Post ... unless you want to. Do one, do a couple, do 'em all if thats your thing. Lets see some ideas.

A note to those to whom it may apply: If your wont is merely to bash and diss The President, his Party, his appointees, his policies, and/or his associates, as opposed to engaging in constructive discussion, go right ahead, but be unsurprised and undismayed should your commentary attract negative attention. Be civil, please, no matter how arduous the effort. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 15
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:37 am
Maybe Ashcroft will be a supreme court judge nominee! Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:18 am
There was broad speculation that Colin Powell was disgruntled and would leave. He sure isn't acting like it. I hope he stays. I hope Condi stays. Runsfield is hands down the very best available for his post, but he may be too politically damaged to be effective. He has certainly kept a low profile during the campaign. Bush's chief of staf is staying apparently and he's another one we almost never see or hear from.

No clue who will replace Ashcroft. The rumor mills aren't too efficient this week for some reason. I hate to see him go as he was very effective, but he has made enemies and was perhaps a bit too abrasive for some.

Bush has thus far surrounded himself with highly intelligent, capable, experienced, and dedicated people in what may have been the most scandal free administration in history for the first four years. I don't see that changing in the second four years.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:23 am
A lot of speculation leaning towards Larry Thompson to replace Ashcroft.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe Ashcroft will be a supreme court judge nominee!

Don't even say that as a joke. Evil or Very Mad

I think that Ashcroft was the cause of plenty of divisiveness. What we meed as Attorney General is a person with a moderate view.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
What difference does it make? bush will replace anyone leaving with an equally or more right wing rubber stamper because that's the only kind of person he allows around him. He'll put in a couple of minorities for color, maybe another woman, but in the end it's yes men/women who will further his agenda, and no opinions necessary. If he needs an opinion he'll ask Carl Rove to tell him what his opinion is.....call that a rude bash or diss if you like, but it's the plain unvarnished truth......and my unwavering belief.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:52 am
You're dead wrong on that one Bear. Bush intentionally surrounds himself with people who will disagree with him when warranted and who will disagree with each other. Much has been made of such disagreement in the first four years in a 'trouble in River City' kind of way, but many of us see this as a healthy and positive thing.

Ashcroft has made enemies yes. But I believe history will show that he in fact has been the architect of security policies since 9/11 that has kept us free of attack since that time. Maybe it would be helpful to have more of a diplomat in that post, but I sure don't want somebody more moderate and thus more tolerant of potential for terrorism.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:56 am
Foxfyre wrote:
You're dead wrong on that one Bear. Bush intentionally surrounds himself with people who will disagree with him when warranted and who will disagree with each other. Much has been made of such disagreement in the first four years in a 'trouble in River City' kind of way, but many of us see this as a healthy and positive thing.

Ashcroft has made enemies yes. But I believe history will show that he in fact has been the architect of security policies since 9/11 that has kept us free of attack since that time. Maybe it would be helpful to have more of a diplomat in that post, but I sure don't want somebody more moderate and thus more tolerant of potential for terrorism.

paragraph one...I'd like to see some concrete evidence of that....

paragraph two.....I believe you to be wrong but we'll probably have to leave the proof to our granchildren to discover.....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:42 am
I'm pleased to see John Ashcroft go, would like it if Tom Ridge would leave too.

I would be pleased if Colin Powell were to stay, and if Donald Rumsfeld were replaced by some buddy of Powell's. (Not sure which ones are available.)

I would very much like to see Gregory Mankiw play a more prominent role in Bush's second administration. He's really, really good, and I'd hate to see him as marginalized as he was during Bush's first term.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:57 am
bookmark
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
I hate being right all the time....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041110/D8694G201.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
I was wondering who was writing those opinions about Guantamo and the Geneva Conventions. ...Now I know.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:09 pm
BPB writes
I hate being right all the time....

Then again Michael Savage and other conservative talk show hosts have blasted the choice of Gonzales as AG as he is a flaming liberal who agrees with almost none of Bush policies. Go figure.

Oh, and Bear, I will hunt up the sources of people testifying that Bush encourages people to state their mind and disagree with him when you show me your evidence that he doesn't. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
This NYTimes article made me feel relatively relieved about Alberto Gonzales' appointment, but this TNR one made me feel a lot less reassured again ..

Meanwhile, I would like to see Powell stay and Rumsfeld go, just to state the obvious. Conflicted about Rice (I mean, I wouldn't want her in a Democrat administration of course, or in any Dutch government, but she does seem like one of the most intelligent people in Bush's cabinet. Pity she's supported such disagreeable positions so far.)

Now Cheney, if only we could somehow get rid of Cheney ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:05 pm
Quote:
End of Discussion

Condoleezza Rice, the woman nominated to fill Colin Powell's chair at the Department of State, possesses an important diplomatic virtue: She can be completely inscrutable, refusing to reveal her inner thoughts to the press or to the world. But, on one matter, Condi is clear. She is absolutely loyal to the president, so deferential that, as New York magazine reported, at a Washington dinner party earlier this year, Rice casually and accidentally referred to her employer, George W. Bush, as her "husband." Of course, there's a long history of presidents installing political confidants in Foggy Bottom. But Rice's appointment is an important omen of the coming term. It portends an administration that has interpreted its electoral victory as evidence that its policies are, objectively, successful and believes that the biggest problem of the first term was an excessive openness to competing views.

Let's begin with the obvious. The last four years can hardly be described as a resounding foreign policy triumph. While Iraq still offers remote hopes of democratic self-rule, the nation seems well on its way to becoming a gangster's paradise engulfed by civil war. The Bush administration presided over the Abu Ghraib scandal and then tried to cover up the culpability of top officials. Meanwhile, it has turned a blind eye to proliferation in North Korea and Iran, sins of omission that make the dreaded nexus of terrorists and weapons of mass destruction more dangerous than before. It has also alienated much of Europe, as well as allies across the globe.

Faced with these failures, you would think that this transitional moment might offer a convenient opportunity to retire the architects of these debacles--or that a chief executive might want to infuse some new blood into the ranks of his deputies. But the Bush administration has always had a peculiar human resources policy. It doesn't punish incompetence. Instead, it rewards it with extensions of tenure and promotions, so long as the incompetents prove their absolute loyalty.

There's perfect internal logic, therefore, in Rice's replacement of Powell. Where Rice completely backed the administration's Iraq policy, Powell wasn't such a team player. To be sure, he didn't always challenge his ideological foes with persistence or genuine courage. But he at least had the intellectual honesty to occasionally raise important objections about policies toward Iraq and North Korea--objections made vigorously enough to ruin his relationships with Dick Cheney and the Pentagon. These objections may have led to Powell, as some have suggested, leaving State several months earlier than he had planned. Indeed, his departure fits the pattern set by Paul O'Neill and Lawrence Lindsey. In the Bush administration, there is really only one crime worthy of internal exile or firing: dissent.

It gets worse. Rice has been sent to State with a mission. According to press reports, she wants to overhaul her new organization. On its own, this might be a reasonable goal: Foggy Bottom's bureaucracy can be sclerotic. But, given this administration's history, it is hard not to regard her talk of transformation as a pretext for purging critics. After all, a leitmotif of this administration has been its scandalous treatment of the bureaucrats who have historically supplied policymakers with objective analysis--a disregard for empiricism that has extended to the suppression of findings produced by Environmental Protection Agency scientists and Treasury Department economists.

Now, it appears that the White House wants to take its war against bureaucrats to the institutions of foreign policy. It's not just the desire to sap power from the civil servants at State. There are signs--especially the recent firing of high-ranking officials and the departure of several others--that the administration wants to impose new restraints on the CIA, rendering its critics there impotent.

Much of the press still fails to wrap its mind around this agenda. Even after the Iraq war, journalists imagine that circumstances will force the Bush administration to trim its sails and follow a more modest international course. But there is a lesson to be learned from the first term: This president should be taken at his word. The radical foreign policy he outlines isn't merely rhetorical. He really does believe that his electoral victory proves he has made no mistakes. And, if history didn't provide enough clues about his instincts, Rice's ascendance should leave no doubt about where this administration is headed--full steam in the same perilous direction.

the Editors
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
Thomas wrote:
would like it if Tom Ridge would leave too.

looks like you're going to get your wish...
0 Replies