Russian again

lodp

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:01 pm
hi folks,

i could use a little help on this sentence that i have to translate to german for a course:

Кроме того, поскольку в лингвистике до сих пор не существует общепринятой кодификации речеповеденческих норм, устаревший срез очень быстро вытесняется из сознания носителя языка.

what i don't get is the analogy: insofar as there's no codification of that kinda stuff in linguistics....the shift gets pushed out of consciousness of the speaker. can that be right? here's the whole of the text:

Гораздо менее заметными оказываются изменения в речевом поведении вообще и в речевом этикете в частности. По-видимому, старшее поколение рассматривает результат подобных изменений как простое и случайное нарушение (невоспитанность молодежи и.т.п.), а млащее - напротив, как норму. Собственно же процесс изменений остается незамеченным. Кроме того, поскольку в лингвистике до сих пор не существует общепринятой кодификации речеповеденческих норм, устаревший срез очень быстро вытесняется из сознания носителя языка. Тем не менее, изменения в речевом поведении и в речевом этикете и притом весьма значительные.

thanks for your thoughts!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,374 • Replies: 4
No top replies

lodp

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
I understand now - it was a silly question to ask. What bothers me at the moment is the meaning of "устаревший срез" - I first thought that that means "a departed shift" i.e. a change in language behavior or something the like. Now I'm not so sure anymore... could somebody please comment on that?
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
lodp wrote:
I understand now - it was a silly question to ask. What bothers me at the moment is the meaning of "устаревший срез" - I first thought that that means "a departed shift" i.e. a change in language behavior or something the like. Now I'm not so sure anymore... could somebody please comment on that?
Sorry Sad , I wish I could translate it for you directly into German, aber Ich habe das Deutsche schon vergessen Embarrassed .

Lodp, you’d better translate it as "obsolete (outdated or archaic) sections (layers or strata)" of the language.

The general meaning of the Russian word "срез" is "a cut" or "shear" – both action (cutting) and result (slice, portion). Therefore it can be used as a synonym for "layer" and/or "stratum".

Will try to translate the whole passage...
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Re: Russian again
Quote:
Гораздо менее заметными оказываются изменения в речевом поведении вообще и в речевом этикете в частности. По-видимому, старшее поколение рассматривает результат подобных изменений как простое и случайное нарушение (невоспитанность молодежи и.т.п.), а младшее – напротив, как норму. Собственно же процесс изменений остается незамеченным. Кроме того, поскольку в лингвистике до сих пор не существует общепринятой кодификации речеповеденческих норм, устаревший срез очень быстро вытесняется из сознания носителя языка. Тем не менее, [существуют?] изменения в речевом поведении и в речевом этикете и притом весьма значительные.
Changes in speaking manners on the whole and particularly in the speech conventions appear to be far less evident. Apparently the older generation regards the consequences of such shift as simple and occasional irregularities (due to bad manners of the youth etc.), while the young on the contrary see them as normal. The very development remains unnoticed. Furthermore, for the reason that linguistics has not yet elaborated a consensual way to set down standards of speaking behaviour, outdated strata are ousted from speaker’s mind. Nonetheless [there are] changes in speaking manners and speech conventions, and very significant ones.
0 Replies

lodp

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:05 pm
Thanks very much indeed, SerSo. I really appreciate your help. "Срез" is now clear to me. I looked it up and falsly would have translated it as "shift" for the lack of better understanding - if it hadn't been for you. Your English ist pretty slick, BTW!

Thanks again
lodp
0 Replies