Wisconsin School OKs Creationism Teaching

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
snood wrote:
Besides, y'all can't really deny that some of you want to remove all mention of religion from schools.

Yes, at this point in this thread (and it has moved around, if you followed the thread from the start) the argument is over the finer point of whether religion should be taught in science class. But I have seen the argument in this thread and elsewhere that religion doesn't belong in schools - period.

If so, it is a separate argument. Put religion in a theology class. Unless you can back it up from A to Z with the scientific method, it does not belong in science class.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:04 pm
snood wrote:
Besides, y'all can't really deny that some of you want to remove all mention of religion from schools.

I can't speak for all others, but I can say for myself that my immediate concern is with keeping religion out of science class because it doesn't belong there.

My larger agenda would be to support the first amendment and keep schools from promoting or establishing religion.

However, I'm only interested in preventing the school/government from any form of establishment. As I said before, what kids talk about over lunch, or how they believe, or if they want to pray by themselves during school doesn't bother me in the least. As a matter of fact, I would defend that right as part of the first amendment.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
snood wrote:
Points taken. But your replies to mine demonstrate the hubris to which I referred.

I'm sorry. Where did you infer Hubris in anything we wrote?

(hu·bris n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance)

As far as I know, we're just trying to make our point clearly. It's not hubris to try hard to clarify a point of discussion.

I will actually grant what he says. I have a lot of contempt for his point of view, but as long as I stick to a linear, logical argument, my personal feelings about it are irrelevant.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I will actually grant what he says. I have a lot of contempt for his point of view, but as long as I stick to a linear, logical argument, my personal feelings about it are irrelevant.

Interesting. What part of his view do you have comtempt for? As far as I can tell, Snood hasn't pushed for religion in science class, but instead seems to be concerned with protecting kids rights to be exposed to differing ideas while in school. I happen to believe that those rights already exist and are not being infringed, so his point is moot, but I don't disagree with it in a general sense.

I don't mind having religion mentioned in theology class, or even in social studies or philosophy. Those seem like areas where cultural and philosophical difference should be discussed.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:28 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Interesting. What part of his view do you have comtempt for?

Not just him, but the type of thinking he represents. Belief that the universe is ruled by magic. Inability to accept the reality of death as nothing more than a machine failing. Attempting to counter science with voodoo. Inability to accept the idea that scientific reasoning is superior to wishful thinking. Lack of rigor in analysis. The list is extensive.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Not just him, but the type of thinking he represents. Belief that the universe is ruled by magic. Inability to accept the reality of death as nothing more than a machine failing. Attempting to counter science with voodoo. Inability to accept the idea that scientific reasoning is superior to wishful thinking. Lack of rigor in analysis. The list is extensive.

Oh, I see.

Yes, I can see how Snood might want to call this Hubris. Of course, we could make the same argument about his position. Each position when viewed from the other side could appear to be prideful and arrogant. But I don't see a way around this, we have fundamentally different assumptions about the basic structure of reality. If there is any common ground however, it's the fact that both are assumptions.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:31 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Belief that the universe is limited to what he can perceive from that fleshy brain. Inability to accept the possibility of the existence of any sentient being higher than himself. Attempting to counter wonder with pompousity. Inability to accept the idea that his is just another opinion, not intrinsically "superior" to anything. Lack of rigor in faith. The list is extensive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:34 pm
snood wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Belief that the universe is limited to what he can perceive from that fleshy brain. Inability to accept the possibility of the existence of any sentient being higher than himself. Attempting to counter wonder with pompousity. Inability to accept the idea that his is just another opinion, not intrinsically "superior" to anything. Lack of rigor in faith. The list is extensive.

All kinds of things might be true, but scientific thinking and "faith" are entirely different orders of analysis. The one is based on experiment and careful deduction, always ready to be updated in light of new evidence. The other is based on magical thinking. Yes, one is intrinsically superior.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
Snood does have a point about hubris. I am suspicious of scientists who claim to have made religion obsolete. Even though I want my children to be taught science as science, I don't want them to think that science is all there is.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Snood does have a point about hubris. I am suspicious of scientists who claim to have made religion obsolete. Even though I want my children to be taught science as science, I don't want them to think that science is all there is.

All I am claiming is that deduction, induction, careful experimentation, the scientific method, logic, etc. are superior to wishful thinking, magical thinking, etc. The standard religious answer to this assertion is to change the subject.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:59 pm
I have no problem stipulating that one or another's mental prowess is superior to mine. To say that their beliefs or ideas are superior is frankly just arrogance on their part. I believe there is life and significant energies beyond what we perceive with our 5 senses. You don't. But you can't leave it at that, you have to go the extra bit and proclaim yours is the superior mindset. Your attitude is counterproductive to any meaningful exchange, and forces every philosophical discussion into the ditch of self absorbed competition. And you can have the last word - I'm sure your ego will insist on it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Quote, "Snood does have a point about hubris. I am suspicious of scientists who claim to have made religion obsolete." Clearly understood; without religion, many people's lives have been for naught believing in the bible. The only problem is the fact that scientists do not make the claim that religion is obsolete. Only the religious make that claim - in addition to making the claim that evolution does not exist.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:06 pm
snood wrote:
I have no problem stipulating that one or another's mental prowess is superior to mine. To say that their beliefs or ideas are superior is frankly just arrogance on their part. I believe there is life and significant energies beyond what we perceive with our 5 senses. You don't. But you can't leave it at that, you have to go the extra bit and proclaim yours is the superior mindset. Your attitude is counterproductive to any meaningful exchange, and forces every philosophical discussion into the ditch of self absorbed competition. And you can have the last word - I'm sure your ego will insist on it.

Your post is a mish mash of unrelated exclamations.

I am saying only that I believe it is better to do an experiment a number of times, generalize the results into a theory, make a prediction, test the prediction with more experiment etc., than to say, "I know that there is a God because I saw a beautiful flower this morning and I was so moved that I knew it had to have been made by a divine being." These are very different methods of analysis.

What you are doing is actually clever. Unable to counter any of my logic directly, as a distraction you simply claim that I am arrogant. Whether I am or am not arrogant is irrelevant to whether or not I am right. If you are the one who is right, then you should be willing to debate my ideas directly and not comment on my personal qualities.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:07 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
snood wrote:

I am saying only that I believe it is better to do an expermint a number of times, generalize the results into a theory, make a prediction, test the prediction with more experiment etc., than to say, "I know that there is a God because I saw a beautiful flower this morning and I was so moved that I knew it had to have been made by a divine being."

What you are doing is actually clever. Unable to counter any of my logic directly, as a distraction you simply claim that I am arrogant. Whether I am or am not arrogant is irrelevant to whether or not I am right. If you are the one who is right, then you should be willing to debate my ideas directly and not comment on my personal qualities.

Surely someone as brilliant as you can see that faith is not debatable.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
snood wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
snood wrote:

I am saying only that I believe it is better to do an expermint a number of times, generalize the results into a theory, make a prediction, test the prediction with more experiment etc., than to say, "I know that there is a God because I saw a beautiful flower this morning and I was so moved that I knew it had to have been made by a divine being."

Surely someone as brilliant as you can see that faith is not debatable.

I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that your ideas cannot be defended, and that your only defense when they are challenged is to say that they are not open for debate? I think I understand that pretty well.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "Snood does have a point about hubris. I am suspicious of scientists who claim to have made religion obsolete." Clearly understood; without religion, many people's lives have been for naught believing in the bible. The only problem is the fact that scientists do not make the claim that religion is obsolete. Only the religious make that claim - in addition to making the claim that evolution does not exist.

cicerone,

Even the National Center for Science Education admits that some scientists do indeed make that claim and that this is counterproductive for promoting the teaching of evolution.

Eugenie C. Scott who daily promotes the teaching of evolution has stated: "Vocal proponents of evolutionary materialism such as William Provine at Cornell, Paul Kurtz at SUNY Buffalo, and Daniel Dennett at Tufts vigorously argue that Darwinism makes religion obsolete, and encourage their colleagues to do likewise. Although I share a similar metaphysical position, I suggest that it is unwise for several reasons to promote this view as a scientific one."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Evolution should be taught in school science classes because it is a scientific theory of our origins for which there is considerable evidence. Religion should not be taught in our science classes because it is not science. Many other aspects of this might be discussed, but this is the logic of the situation, and it is correct.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Snood does have a point about hubris. I am suspicious of scientists who claim to have made religion obsolete.

I don't know of any scientist who claims that science has made religion obsolete. Do you think these scientists who claim this represent the majority?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
wand, Thank you for bringing me up to date on this issue; my impressions are evidently wrong, and I'll need to change my future opinions. Thx again, c.i.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:49 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Eugenie C. Scott who daily promotes the teaching of evolution has stated: "Vocal proponents of evolutionary materialism such as William Provine at Cornell, Paul Kurtz at SUNY Buffalo, and Daniel Dennett at Tufts vigorously argue that Darwinism makes religion obsolete, and encourage their colleagues to do likewise. Although I share a similar metaphysical position, I suggest that it is unwise for several reasons to promote this view as a scientific one."

I'm surprised at these people (the scientists listed). How can they say that Darwinism makes religion obsolete. First of all, why would they use the term "Darwinism" since it's ambiguous and misleading, and secondly, why would they imply only evolutionary theory instead of science itself in their argument. How can a function of science address an issue outside of science, it makes no sense.

I would be curious to see the comments from these people in context to see what they are talking about.

Not all scientists understand philosophy, so it's possible that these individuals are a little too focused on the world of science to recognize the limits of knowledge in a philosophical sense.
0 Replies