Reinstating a Draft

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
Magus wrote:
"I didn't want anybody else fighting for my family", said Pvt. Kelly.

Kelly sees himself as going it all alone... ?

Narcissistic egocentricity?

You have got to be kidding me! That soldier signs up to fight for his family and country, and the best you can do is criticize his motivations? You're a real piece of work. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:35 am
Gee... I musta struck a nerve!

Considering the vast dimensions of that nerve, I venture that it was no great feat...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:45 am
Magus wrote:
Gee... I musta struck a nerve!

You have that way about you .... and a tendency to do that.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
Eight Soldiers Plan to Sue Over Army’s Stop-Loss Policy

By MONICA DAVEY

Published: December 6, 2004

ORRILTON, Ark., Dec. 3 - The eight soldiers come from places scattered across the country, from this small town an hour northwest of Little Rock to cities in Arizona, New Jersey and New York. In Iraq and Kuwait, where they all work now, most of them hold different jobs in different units, miles apart. Most have never met.

But the eight share a bond of anger: each says he has been prevented from coming home for good by an Army policy that has barred thousands of soldiers from leaving Iraq this year even though the terms of enlistment they signed up for have run out. And each of these eight soldiers has separately taken the extraordinary step of seeking legal help, through late-night Internet searches and e-mail inquiries from their camps in the conflict zone, or through rounds of phone calls by an equally frustrated wife or mother back home.
With legal support from the Center for Constitutional Rights, a liberal-leaning public interest group, lawyers for the eight men say they will file a lawsuit on Monday in federal court in Washington challenging the Army policy known as stop-loss.

Last spring, the Army instituted the policy for all troops headed to Iraq and Afghanistan, called it a way to promote continuity within deployed units and to avoid bringing new soldiers in to fill gaps left in units by those who would otherwise have gone home when their enlistment's ran out. If a soldier's unit is still in Iraq or Afghanistan, that soldier cannot leave even when his or her enlistment time runs out.

Since then, a handful of National Guardsmen who received orders to report for duty in California and Oregon have taken the policy to court, but the newest lawsuit is the first such challenge by a group of soldiers. And these soldiers are already overseas -- transporting supplies, working radio communications and handling military contracts, somewhere in the desert.

Link

Where there are eight willing to sue there are no doubt many more standing in the wings ready to support them. What does that say about the moral of the troops who are now serving involuntarily in Iraq?
0 Replies