Schwarzenegger: "Why should I listen to losers?"

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:25 am
Check this out:

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/clips/04/11/110504_13_sound_bites.asx

Quote:

SCHWARZENEGGER: Any questions?

REPORTER: Would you listen to any Democrats' tax proposals or flatly reject them?

SCHWARZENEGGER: Well, I mean why would I listen to losers?

CROWD: (Laughing) Oh my God! (Laughing)

SCHWARZENEGGER: I mean, let's be honest. Thank you very much. Thank you. (Laughter)

http://conservababes.com/darwinpics/laugh.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,907 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:26 am
Ahnold is a funny man. At least he didn't call them Economic Girly Men again. Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:29 am
Funny.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:43 am
From Aide says Schwarzenegger didn't call Demos `losers'
(The Mercury News)
Quote:
The Republican governor's office scrambled Thursday to explain that his remark was directed at the Democratic idea of raising taxes, not at Democrats as a group.p>

Both legislative leaders -- incoming Senate President Don Perata, D-Oakland, and Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez, D-Los Angeles -- seemed to accept that explanation and declined to comment.

But outgoing Senate leader John Burton of San Francisco said the governor's taunt was not constructive for a relationship with his successor.

``I'm sure it was a slip of the tongue, but I think Don is not the type of guy who is going to laugh off those off-the-cuff jabs,'' he said. ``Me, I just took Arnold as he was -- a guy who would forget to dip his tongue in his brain before he spoke.''

The governor's unscripted moment came at a press conference to introduce Tom Campbell as his new finance director. When asked whether he would consider budget-balancing proposals from Perata and other Democrats to increase taxes, Schwarzenegger said, ``Well, I mean, why would I listen to losers?''

Voters, he said, showed their distaste for tax increases by rejecting local ballot measures in Tuesday's election, even in the liberal-leaning Bay Area.

``Let me just make it simple to you, that they have lost every single ballot in the Bay Area, everything,'' he said. ``The Democrats and all of those things that have been proposed on tax increases have lost. And, so, therefore, why would we go and follow a losing formula?''

The governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, quickly called reporters to clarify that Schwarzenegger meant ``the tax-increase initiatives, he didn't mean Senator Perata.''

A day earlier, standing at the same lectern at a post-election press conference in Sacramento, an expansive Schwarzenegger had said, ``Now it is the time where we work together.''

``We have to get together, because that's the best way to do it for the state of California, to approach things in a bipartisan way.''

Schwarzenegger's quip Thursday underscored what happens sometimes when the governor doesn't think through the implications of his comments, said Martin Kaplan of the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication.

``It's the kind of Hollywood locker-room banter that doesn't often translate into a world of sensitive egos,'' he said. ``If what you're trying to do is portray yourself as bipartisan and beyond traditional politics, then it certainly doesn't score you points. So `A' for macho and comedy, and `F' for diplomacy.''

And the comments were not completely accurate. Voters, in fact approved some tax increases Tuesday. Although San Francisco voters turned down sales- and business-tax measures supported by Mayor Gavin Newsom, the overall response to tax proposals in the Bay Area and statewide was mixed.

Voters approved by 53 percent an additional 1 percent income tax on the wealthiest Californians to pay for mental health programs. Schwarzenegger considers this an exception, because he said people are more willing to tax a relatively small number of households with income over $1 million.

But voters up and down the state -- Contra Costa, Sacramento, Marin counties -- were also willing to pay more in sales tax to raise $30 billion for highway projects. In Alameda County, an area Perata represents, voters approved six different tax measures for schools, parking lots and parks.

The ``loser'' comment was reminiscent of Schwarzenegger's ``girly-men'' remark, which he used in July to pressure legislators to approve a state budget.

Sen. Sheila Kuehl of Los Angeles said she and fellow Democrats had gotten used to the governor calling for bipartisanship one day and ``bashing us'' the next.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:17 am
It must have been the language barrier Walter. It happens. Rolling Eyes What's funnier to me than Arnie's comment is gungasnake's self-portrait.

I sure hope that one day Americans wake up and realize that Arnie still thinks he's in a movie. Reagan did it for 8 years, but I blame the Alzheimer's.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:21 am
Wait till Barkley is governor. Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
That's funny.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:25 am
PS--

If Arnold thinks he is in a movie, that mindset should be a requirement for all future CA Govs. He's doing a hell of a good job--much better than the former Democrat Gray "I'm not in a movie" Davis.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
You mean Shaq is not available?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:27 am
I'm just funnin'. I really couldn't care less. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
I hear that if California is in serious danger of sinking into the sea, Arnie plans to move the state to Mars.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
Arnie does soo represent the "moral values" of the heartland, someone has a cognitive dissconnect here in america.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
<Not miffed. I've been waiting for a year to trot out my Gray "I'm not in a movie" Davis retort.>
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm
The demonization and trivialization of alternate points of view is a classic trait of demagogues and despots.
When Americans place such individuals in positions of power, we ALL lose.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:30 pm
Arnald is the loser!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:38 pm
I think he is embarrassing. What is more embarrassing is that he is such good company with a good deal of those in government these days.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:41 pm
Montana wrote:
Arnald is the loser!

When and what did ahnold lose, montana?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
Lash wrote:
PS--

If Arnold thinks he is in a movie, that mindset should be a requirement for all future CA Govs. He's doing a hell of a good job--much better than the former Democrat Gray "I'm not in a movie" Davis.

Irony alert! For those who are interested, Davis has hired an agent for roles in commercials and TV programs........
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Montana wrote:
Arnald is the loser!

When and what did ahnold lose, montana?

His brain. When he was born.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
Montana wrote: