Anti-Europeanism in America ?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 04:16 am
hanno wrote:

I dig some of your insights but I'm not sure I'm reading you on this one, not sure what history you mean. Off the cuff I'd say the great experiment is working out alright and better for it without the health and well being their societies enjoy - I mean, national identity is one thing but who needs all that Switzer-Guards at the Vatican, 600-year-old pastry-shop with royal-warrant-to-the-duchess crap when they can't manage a car over 2.0 Liters, operate their own finances in the manner of an independent enterprise or as a group can't risk pissing off Iran...

WW2 shocked the Europeans out of their nationalistic stance, but also altered the societies from the ground up. The post WW2 history of Europe is one of cooperative effort. It is actually the fulfillment of the rebuilding of Europe effort that we lead. We lead the Europeans towards cooperation as a way of life, and then we went the opposite direction, into individualism and competition in all sectors of our social life. Now we look at the Europe that we birthed and are sickened by what we see.

Thing is, in 2008, cooperative society looks pretty good. The infrastructure is sound, the people basically happy, they stay out of wars, they show inventivness by turning Europe into the EU, they are way more multicultural than we are.

We don't know yet, but if they went the right way right and we went the wrong then we have a big f*cking problem. Our country has gone to hell structurally, we are beyond broke yadda yadda yadda.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 04:59 am
Anti-Europeanism in America ?

Anti-Europeanism my ass!

Great company!!!!!! We are very happy to meet the Europeans in Jashua tree and Anza Boreggo

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/

I hope I am always met with the chance to be friends with other people.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:01 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:

WW2 shocked the Europeans out of their nationalistic stance, but also altered the societies from the ground up. The post WW2 history of Europe is one of cooperative effort. It is actually the fulfillment of the rebuilding of Europe effort that we lead. We lead the Europeans towards cooperation as a way of life, and then we went the opposite direction, into individualism and competition in all sectors of our social life. Now we look at the Europe that we birthed and are sickened by what we see.

Thing is, in 2008, cooperative society looks pretty good. The infrastructure is sound, the people basically happy, they stay out of wars, they show inventivness by turning Europe into the EU, they are way more multicultural than we are.

We don't know yet, but if they went the right way right and we went the wrong then we have a big f*cking problem. Our country has gone to hell structurally, we are beyond broke yadda yadda yadda.

Alright, history since WWII is fine, I draw the line at history since LBJ, but either way, let's look at the big picture. We were the only winners in that war and all of Europe had a bruised ass, so at Time-Zero we're on top. In the meantime we're doing alright, get a little fuel crunch, underestimate the Vietnamese, one way or another we're still No. 1. Which brings us to Time-Now, still the big dog. Europe is catching up, as well they should, the war knocked the fight out of 'em, made them glad to sell out, but you got to beat the best to be the best. Sure they're catching up, that's what losers do if the winner helps 'em out instead of finishing 'em off.

Is there anything to envy? Not now there ain't - I couldn't live the way I like to in Europe if I won the 100K jackpot before expatriating - nobody else seems to be going there either. For half the price I can drive a hotter car than a European, nobody taxes me like I owe them something for enjoying the ride to work, and I pay in stronger currency that's easier to earn. Is it looking better in some ways, like 'Hans gets free medical, why don't I?'? Sure, but that's because in part we're short sighted, inadequate, covetous creatures, same as they are. The difference is we've been on the winning side of that hand, too many times I hope to forget...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:11 pm
Pulling up a chair, re Foofie and Hawkeye...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:16 pm
hanno wrote:

Is there anything to envy? Not now there ain't - I couldn't live the way I like to in Europe if I won the 100K jackpot before expatriating - nobody else seems to be going there either. For half the price I can drive a hotter car than a European, nobody taxes me like I owe them something for enjoying the ride to work, and I pay in stronger currency that's easier to earn. Is it looking better in some ways, like 'Hans gets free medical, why don't I?'? Sure, but that's because in part we're short sighted, inadequate, covetous creatures, same as they are. The difference is we've been on the winning side of that hand, too many times I hope to forget...

Maybe we are short term thinkers and care about the wrong things. I lived in Germany for six years, and found much to admire. Plus they are not living off of their kids by loading them up with debt. It is a question of good choices and character. I am not willing to say America sucks and Europe is great, but I am saying that a lot of our dislike of Europe is born out of a subconscious fear that they are right and we have been wrong.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:

How did my name pop up in your post?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:09 am
littlek wrote:
Interesting Walter. I remember 15 years ago, while in high school, that there was a lot of anti-french commentary.

My high school German class always wanted to invade the French class. Pure atavism, I think.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 09:03 am
osso wrote-

Quote:

Yeah--I think I will. It's a good laugh.

Not as good as the one Salinger got out of me with that description of an English movie.

You could get a few ideas from that boys and tighten your act up.

You're not Americans and I'm not a European. We are both silly piss-pots roaming around the globe's surface wondering what to do next with our surplus energies. How can one lot of silly piss-pots be anti another bunch of silly piss-pots. And here we are, the both of us, choosing to expend some of that energy on A2K. So we have something in common. Are you pro that. It's a start.

It's like being anti-human. You might as well be anti the chap next door because he has a picture of a piss-pot over his fireplace and wipes his croggies off on a table leg. I love so many things about America it would be a long job making a list of them and getting it into an alphabetical order so that no-one might think I prioritise.

And if you couldn't return the compliment you should go to remedial night classes at your local Adult Education Centre.

It's unChristian to be anti other people.

I'm just assuming you're exercising your literary talents, which I must admit are not bad. If I didn't assume that I might have to think there are some frazzled nerves.

From guilt. You know deep down what you owe us. After all others have rowed a boat ashore long before you ever did and didn't make such a good job, ahem!, of the untouched assets. What they lacked was the European base camp which you had. So you might feel a bit guilty about the mean and despicable manner in which you have treated your father culture.
0 Replies