60% of meat packing manufacturers not up to par

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:37 pm
A word of caution to all you red-meat eaters....

yuck
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,749 • Replies: 16
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:44 pm
Vist the stock yards for some real info!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:45 pm
Well, if you are not a vegetarian (in such a case the problem does not endanger you), you may cope with the trouble by means of deep and intensive thermic processing of the meat meals you consume. For example, give up rare and/or medium steaks, and switch to well done. E. coli is not resistant to heat in the same degree as B. Anthracis, and high temperature easily kills it. Besides this, pathogenic properties of E.coli are not pronounced; we carry zillions of these bacteria in our large intestine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:46 pm
steissd, good points.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 03:11 pm
Theres a reason I like it all well done....you just never know
Also why I dont do fast food, not only is most of it simply horrid...theres always that nitwit out back who has no idea what they could be doing...and I hate those thoughts.
Unless you really want to become a vegitarian or you really really can deal with it..dont visit a slaughterhouse...of any kind
ugh...what veggies can I have for dinner now...dangit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 03:14 pm
I think reading The Jungle put the final nail in my case for vegetarianism way back when.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
steissd wrote:
. . . deep and intensive thermic processing of the meat meals you consume.

Damn, steissd, you know how long I had to ponder that to realize you just meant "cook it"?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 03:42 pm
Cooking does not automatically imply sufficient thermic procession of food stuffs. Some recipes imply the ingredients to remain raw or semi-raw (as an example, the rare steak). If you are not sure in quality of ingredients, you should just avoid such recipes, and ensure deep heating of the food in process of cooking.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:25 pm
The internal temperatures of meats have to reach certain tempertures in order to kill the bacteria..so yes, deep cooking Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
streissd - are you actually human? I'm sorry, I'm a bit tipsy. But, you are always so formal!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:37 pm
Hahaha littlek I almost wrote PRECISELY the same thing earlier. Well it had to do with cyborgs (Data from Star Trek et al.)
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:38 pm
i like rare meat. if the steak is at least warm and doesn't moo when i stick a fork in it. it's ready.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:39 pm
My steak is warm and doesnt moo either...guess its kinda the whole other end of the spectrum though Wink
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:18 am
Littlek, I am formal for one very simple and explicable reason: English is not my mother tongue, and I learnt it through newspapers and CNN/Fox News broadcasts, and these contain mainly formal language.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 07:35 am
Morning All!!

I love when this stuff comes up. The media is always looking for some angle to exploit. If you disect the article, the individual components are true, but not that big of a deal. Put together the way they have, it sounds like the world's gonna end! Laughing
One telling quote:
Quote:
"They were scientific and design issues and not direct food safety issues,"

That says a few things to me. There is a food safety system being adopted by the entire industry, it's called HAACP, it is extremely comprehensive, and will take some time to be completely in place.
It's very likely that all of the new procedures have not yet been adopted, it's not that the old ones are that bad, but they are being marked by the new standards.
Health code is very comprehensive, I have been through many an inspection. You'd be surpised at the things you can lose points for. They inspect you once, then if you have any violations they give you a week to repair them, then re-inspect.

The truth of the matter is, that farming and processing technique have been so improved over the years, that it's amazing. Some strains of food poisoning have been nearly eliminated (Trichinosis). Food has never been as safe as it is today.

I know the article sounded "gross", it was meant to. The honest truth is that most of us would be disgusted by the packing and processing of most foods (vegetables included, even organics). Sometimes, as with many things in life, it;s just better not to know. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:57 am
steissd wrote:
Littlek, I am formal for one very simple and explicable reason: English is not my mother tongue, and I learnt it through newspapers and CNN/Fox News broadcasts, and these contain mainly formal language.

Well, that is a reasonable explanation!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:03 am
Gotta agree with ya Jerry, I think its something about working in the food industry that makes you a bit more involved shall we say on what goes on. And we've come a long way baby!
I didnt read the article BTW...so, I figured as much...I know enough ...thanks Smile
0 Replies