A Question About the Civil Rights Movement

Rosslyn

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:09 am
'lo! Well, i'm writing an essay, and i'm stuck on one word/phrase -

you know the Black Power Movement, that's the violent protest, right? so what's the word for non-violent protest, like Martin Luther King led? I know the NAACP was a part of it, but does it have a particular term...?

thanx for the help... Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,198 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
Rosslyn- As far as I can remember, the word that was closely identified with King WAS non-violence:

http://thekingcenter.com/prog/non/
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:04 pm
King also borrowed the term "passive resistance" from Thoreau. You might want to research that entire line of thinking.

Welcome to A2K, Rosslyn.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
Rosslyn, please note that Black Power might have been perceived as a violent movement, but in point of fact was not. It referred to the idea of Blacks using their economic and voting power to put blacks into office and into business.

The Black Panthers are associated with the movement and as part of their mission carried weapons "as protection." The subsequent explosion between the Panthers and police will be all over the net; just try to read as many different views of it as possible.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 01:03 pm
Here's an essay you might find interesting...

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/1119.php
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:19 pm
Ah thanks guys... Smile

But um, isn't Malcolm X a part of Black Power? or am I completely lost it? I thought the Black Power wanted total segregation, but be proud of it. the National Black Muslims or something. >.< my head is filled with glue at this moment...

thanks panzade for the essay... and nice avatar, i must comment Wink
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:27 pm
wo. Ok, well, here's my take:
the idea of Black Power represented many different things to the people inside and another to those outside the movement;

like many other movements, it became associated with numerous people during its time and changed its direction sometimes in accordance with these people;

Separatism to strengthen was an early aim of some factions, although even Malcolm X prior to his death was purportedly re-thinking this idea.

So it would be difficult to attempt to simplify this movement without choosing a time within the movement and your position viewing it! Which I suppose is safe to say with nearly any political or racial movement! Good luck!
0 Replies

sobriquet

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
i've always heard hte term civil disobedience

cheers
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
Ahh, and that's a good term too. Somehow seems more relevant these days...
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:19 am
civil disobedience is more... of a tactic that the non-violent ones used, i think.......
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:27 pm
Yes, the term is civil disobedience
0 Replies