Preventing Bleeding During Surgery

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
I am going in for a minor operation at the end of the month. In the past, before surgery, the doctor would tell me to stop taking aspirin for a number of days before the procedure. The reason for that, is that aspirin is a blood thinner, and can cause untoward bleeding during the surgery.

Well..................this doctor wants to cover all contingencies. I got a list that is two pages long, single spaced, with three colums of medications and supplements that a person should not take before surgery. True, the list notes all forms of a medication, but even taking that into consideration, it is a formidable list.

On the list of no-nos, some that you would never think of:

glucosamine chondroitin
MSM
ginko biloba
Vitamin E
fish oil
garlic
Multivitamin (Contains Vitamin E)

I am very glad that I have that list. I am also very curious. Is my present doctor extremely careful, or have doctors in the past just not considered the possibilities, beyond the obvious, aspirin? Another thought. Do doctors nowadays finally realize that people DO take supplements?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
Dunno what doctors know. I understand vitamin k inhibits bleeding. Not sure just where I heard that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:23 am
Rog- That is my understanding, too!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
P.S. I have been off the Glucosamine Chondroitin and MSN since Wednesday, and boy, is there a difference. I never realized just how much good they were doing for me, until I stopped taking them.

Think that I can do something with a can of WD 40??? Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
I had last year a minor surgery and had gotten an
equaly long list, and since I take a multiple vitamin daily
I had to quit taking it for 5 days prior too.

However, I was told to take additional Iron supplements,
as my Iron contents were low and it would have made
me too weak after surgery.

That was a first for me too. (the iron supplements).

Good luck on your surgery Phoenix!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
I have read that combined garlic, vitamin E, flax oil and magnesium are very effective blood thinners and I take them myself instead of aspirin.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:22 am
Phoenix--

You have my sympathy. I hate to think of myself as a drug-dependent woman, but pre surgery abstinence makes me look clearly at my habits.

What could be worse? Is your Beloved a heroic type, suffering in silence, or does he open up and share his pain (and his aches)?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
Noddy24 wrote:
What could be worse? Is your Beloved a heroic type, suffering in silence, or does he open up and share his pain (and his aches)?

Don't ask! Shocked I could fill up an entire forum on that one! Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:14 pm
Phoenix, I had to take Vitamin K before I had oral surgery. I don't take anything now, however.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:16 pm
Yeah, Vitamin K helps in clotting. One thing that was suggested was that I take some extra Vitamin C.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
Phoenix--

The line I loathe is, "I'm not one to complain, but...."

Just which is the weaker sex?

When is your surgery? Will someone else be cooking Thanksgiving and serving you dainty portions on a silver tray set with a crystal bud vase? You deserve that.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 01:09 pm
Quote:
When is your surgery?

Believe it or not, the day before Thanksgiving. And I have to go to a post-op follow up on Thanksgiving day. Traditionally, we always went to my sister-in-laws' for Thankgiving. She has a big family here, and we only have each other. But she moved a few miles north of us, and my doc is south of us. So, it looks like it's gonna be tuna fish sandwiches for dinner! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 03:09 pm
Consider Chinese takeout. If you want to be fancy, you could dump the food out of the little white cartons onto paper plates.

This year I'm running away from home. Mr. Noddy and his family can be thankful without me for one year.

Of course, as a single man, he'll have dinner invitations....single men, whatever their pain threshholds, have clout and charisma.
0 Replies