Bigger breasts under the X-mas tree?

Col Man

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:20 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from Human Interest Stories to Medical News & Health.

Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041104/80/f5y5k.html

LONDON (Reuters) - If larger breasts, fuller lips and fewer wrinkles are on the Christmas wish list, cosmetic surgery gift vouchers could be the answer.

The number of Britons going under the knife for finer features has rocketed this year and some private clinics have started offering the vouchers to cope with demand.

"Husbands buy them for wives, or daughters for their mothers," said Rebecca Johnson, a spokeswoman for Transform, one of the country's biggest commercial cosmetic surgery groups, which has sold hundreds of the vouchers this year.

They range from 50 to 1,000 pounds and are mostly used for non-surgical procedures such as botox and skin peels, she added.

Most patients had already expressed an interest in plastic surgery before receiving a voucher, she said, and were not offended by the gift.

The Transform group hosted "Cosmetic Surgery ... Live" in September, a series of television programmes featuring live operations at a Transform clinic.

"We saw a rise in enquiries after the programme, certainly," Johnson said.

Plastic surgery is a growth industry in Britain.

"Before, if you asked a woman if she'd had a nose job or a face lift it was like asking her age ... but normalisation and a growing obsession with what we look like is key to why cosmetic surgery is growing," said Sarah Winterbottom, spokeswoman for BUPA private hospitals.

BUPA, which does not offer gift vouchers, compiled figures which show a 31 percent increase this year in cosmetic surgery -- a conservative rise because non-surgical procedures such as botox and lip implants were not included.

Breast enlargement amongst 31-40 year-old women was their most popular procedure, accounting for almost half of cosmetic operations.

But not everyone is keen on the vouchers idea.

"We're worried by the implications of this because it portrays surgery as a commodity, the same as a book, perfume bottle or a handbag," said consultant plastic surgeon Patrick Mallucci of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS).

They were also concerned that trivialising cosmetic surgery could lead to complacency in patient care.

However, voucher recipients must see a doctor or surgeon to assess suitability for treatment before the voucher is claimed, Transform's Johnson said. If treatment is not granted, the voucher is refunded.

But the BAAP's concerns were echoed by BUPA's Winterbottom.

"Cosmetic surgery is for life, not just for Christmas," she said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,126 • Replies: 25
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:44 pm
Cosmetic surgery can make such a big difference in peoples lives that have facial and body deformities. I cringe when I see a little kid or even an adult on t.v. talking about how they get picked on because of how they look.
People don't even realize what they sound like sometimes when making casual comments.
One day I was at the gym (i was 20 lbs. overweight at the time) working out, a fellow I used to work with started talking to me, we chatted for a few minutes and then he blurts out this: "Paula, what happened, you used to look so nice?" Shocked He wasn't trying to be mean but it did catch me off guard for a second.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:18 pm
far out...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:23 pm
Quote:
"Paula, what happened, you used to look so nice?" He wasn't trying to be mean but it did catch me off guard for a second.

Did you shove a dumbbell up his ass?

What a jerk.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:38 pm
Gustathatwouldhurt

No I didn't shove a dumbbell up his ass, they were all being used.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:45 pm
Quote:
"Husbands buy them for wives, or daughters for their mothers," said Rebecca Johnson, a spokeswoman for Transform, one of the country's biggest commercial cosmetic surgery groups, which has sold hundreds of the vouchers this year.

They range from 50 to 1,000 pounds

I would think that a couple of 500 pound breasts would be sufficient but I would pay to see a couple of 1000 pounders. Also I would like to see a jump rope contest between the daughters and the mothers.

Joe
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:50 pm
Joe

I just watched a cosmetic make-over of a woman that had a breast reduction, her bra size was something like a triple I. The doctors removed 8lbs of tissue on each breast.
That woman had the biggest knockers I have ever seen.
Her breasts were still huge even after the operation.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:16 pm
Paula, I once had a date say something similar to me. I had bought a brand new outfit for our date, and I asked him if he liked it. (It was red silk, and I looked stunning, if I do say so myself.) His only comment was, "Wow, if you'd lose 20 lbs., you'd be a knockout!"

I don't remember if I gave him enough time to say anything else after that. He was history.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

They range from 50 to 1,000 pounds

I would think that a couple of 500 pound breasts would be sufficient but I would pay to see a couple of 1000 pounders. Also I would like to see a jump rope contest between the daughters and the mothers.

Joe

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

50 - 1,000 pounds, is the price, not the weight...
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
Eva wrote:
Paula, I once had a date say something similar to me. I had bought a brand new outfit for our date, and I asked him if he liked it. (It was red silk, and I looked stunning, if I do say so myself.) His only comment was, "Wow, if you'd lose 20 lbs., you'd be a knockout!"

I don't remember if I gave him enough time to say anything else after that. He was history.

Laughing Good heavens! Speaking of obscure comments-

When I was pregnant I became quite 'Top Heavy' so one day I was changing and my husband looks at me and say's..."my goodness, their as big as your head!" and they were. I got up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night (half a sleep) and I caught one of them on the door jam! Laughing Woke me RIGHT UP!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:13 am
Really, what IS this obsession that so many women have to be perfect? Does the thought of natural aging and the beauty that comes with that terrify masses of women that they feel they must look perpetually young? I am all in favor of cosmetic surgery for correction of deformities or reconstruction after mastectomies and that sort of procedure., but just for vanity? That frightens me a bit. I think I'll just go take my slightly greying hair, my few well earned laugh lines, my naturally tanned by sunshine without make up face and go commune with nature for a bit.

BTW....and maybe this is for another thread altogether or has already been addressed a hundred times over, but do most of the men out there favor the botoxed, implanted, chemically peeled, perfectly made up woman? Or is it just eye candy and not something you'd really want full time as a partner?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:44 pm
no
i like my women as natural as possible thanks...

ill take the rough outside edges...its the inner that mostly counts for me..
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
Joan Rivers and Michael Jackson are prime examples of over doing it.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:38 pm
Isn't that the truth, paulaj! Eeek!

And thank you, Col Man. It's nice to know that life is not just one big Hollywood show. Smile
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:23 pm
The majority of people on the make over shows that I have watched just want to fit in as opposed to standing out.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:05 pm
Quote:
50 - 1,000 pounds, is the price, not the weight...

Oh my gosh, I've made a terrible mistake, I've avoided going to England for years and years because I'd been told that the average dinner would cost about 30 pounds apiece and I thought I'd have to be a weightlifter just to go to a restaurant with some friends. Now I see that the money doesn't actually weigh a pound but apparently you get a pound of fish and chips or something equivalent for it. Do you pay for tea in squirts or is that squarts? It's so confusing.

Meanwhile, I have a serious question.... why do women feel it is necessary to pick at the faces of their men? All the men I know have had this happen to them. They are sitting there enjoying life when the love of their life appears and starts to scrape at a little blackhead or some other imagined fault...... Wha?

Joe
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:12 pm
We don't perceive it as an imagined fault, we are merely grooming the one we love. It's left-over primitive behavior.
It's in our DNA, we can't help it.

Don't you like it Joe?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:12 pm
Smile Wink Very Happy

hey i get that too Exclamation
my greek girlfriend like to squeeze my head and cheeks for imaginary spots all the time and my argentinian girlfriend like to pop my spots tooo...
only my english girlfriend has managed to restrain from such terrible acts....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:18 pm
i do like all my girls to fuss over me though Wink
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:20 pm
I have a pair of electronic tweezers that I use on my guy's, .......from head to toe. I leave no hair unturned :-)
0 Replies