Trump, His Alleged Audit, and What the IRS Can or Cannot Reveal?

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 11:16 am
Are these clauses from the IRS' own site the reason why they can't publicly acknowledge that there is an official IRS audit against Donald Trump?

Is that why the (not so collective) Media is asking Trump but not the IRS to reveal his tax records? Or is there a two pronged strategy here, where the latter isn't being published that well?

Quote:

*In general, the IRS may not disclose your tax information to third parties unless you give it permission, e.g., you request that we disclose information in connection with a mortgage or student loan application. IRC § 6103

*If a tax return preparer discloses or uses your tax information for any purpose other than for tax preparation, the preparer may be subject to civil penalties. If the disclosure or improper use is done knowingly or recklessly, the preparer may also be subject to criminal fines and imprisonment. IRC §§ 6713, 7216

*In general, the IRS cannot contact third parties, e.g., your employer, neighbors, or bank, to obtain information about adjusting or collecting your tax liability unless it provides you with reasonable notice in advance. Subject to some exceptions, the IRS is required to periodically provide you a list of the third party contacts and upon request. IRC § 7602(c)

The Right to Confidentiality

What are the odds that an internal IRS whistleblower can or even could release part or all of Trump's tax documents? Or even an official papertrail authenticating Trump's claims that he is in fact under IRS audit?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Blickers

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 10:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
It has been pointed out several times that Trump is free to release his tax returns whether he is under audit or not. Also, every incumbent president is under audit automatically, yet all of them released their tax returns not only when running for president, but while president.

The audit excuse is just that-an excuse. It more and more seems obvious that Trump wont' release his tax returns because they reveal where he gets his money from, and much of that money is from Putin & Friends.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:33 am
@Blickers,
That's cute (and slightly patronizing as you're telling me stuff I already know) but that's literally the opposite of my question. Doubting that you read anything but the title.

I am fully aware that Trump can reveal the true status of his audit and/or his tax returns whenever he likes.

I'm asking if the IRS can reveal that they are auditing Trump and have been long before Trump became president. Or is the IRS under some kind of legal clause (as stated in my OP or if there is another clause somewhere) that forbids them from revealing the fact they are in that exact legal process.

McGentrix
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 06:03 am
@tsarstepan,
26 U.S. Code § 7213 - Unauthorized disclosure of information

Quote:
(a) Returns and return information
(1) Federal employees and other persons

It shall be unlawful for any officer or employee of the United States or any person described in section 6103(n) (or an officer or employee of any such person), or any former officer or employee, willfully to disclose to any person, except as authorized in this title, any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)). Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable upon conviction by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution, and if such offense is committed by any officer or employee of the United States, he shall, in addition to any other punishment, be dismissed from office or discharged from employment upon conviction for such offense.
(2) State and other employees

It shall be unlawful for any person (not described in paragraph (1)) willfully to disclose to any person, except as authorized in this title, any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) acquired by him or another person under subsection (d), (i)(1)(C), (3)(B)(i), or (7)(A)(ii), (k)(10), (l)(6), (7), (8), (9), (10), (12), (15), (16), (19), (20), or (21) or (m)(2), (4), (5), (6), or (7) of section 6103 or under section 6104(c). Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
(3) Other persons

It shall be unlawful for any person to whom any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) is disclosed in a manner unauthorized by this title thereafter willfully to print or publish in any manner not provided by law any such return or return information. Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
(4) Solicitation

It shall be unlawful for any person willfully to offer any item of material value in exchange for any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) and to receive as a result of such solicitation any such return or return information. Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.

It's awful risky just to score a political point. Whether Trump is under audit or not would also be considered confidential as well I would guess.

Contrary to what Blickers would think, unless someone also releases W-2's, tax form do not source money, just totals it. I do not recall my last 1040 having a box marked "Money from Russia?"
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 07:57 am
@McGentrix,
you forget that, unless all business dealings are contracted in total secrecy, then both parties file tax information.
It wont say "source Russiis" , but whatever entity is doing business with you is also filing through the % rules and state financials.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 08:24 am
Quote:
What seems to be uniform in the discussion surrounding Trump’s tax returns is the conviction that they are definitely hiding something. Why else would the returns be kept private, if not to conceal something damning or uncouth? (Trump’s own excuse, that he can’t release his returns because he is under audit, has been roundly dismissed by tax and ethics experts, as well as the IRS.)
(...)
But the problem with using the tax returns as a symbol for all of Trump’s corruption is that the returns themselves may be less than earth shattering. This is, at least, what seems to be suggested by the scattered documents that have been made public thus far.
(...)
For Democrats, the tax returns issue is a useful political tool to generate bad headlines and stymie tax reform. But the left’s broader hope for the tax returns is that they contain information damning enough to Donald Trump that it would force his removal from power. The idea seems to be that Trump has been largely insincere in his public, political life, but that his tax returns will expose his real, unaffected nefariousness. But unless the returns show direct bank deposits from Vladimir Putin, they would likely never be sufficient to crater his base support or lead Republicans in Congress to abandon him.

NR

The Dems would be better off with lowered expectations.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
Contrary to what Blickers would think, unless someone also releases W-2's, tax form do not source money, just totals it. I do not recall my last 1040 having a box marked "Money from Russia?"

For somebody involved in many different enterprises such as Trump, his tax forms will be long and detailed. No, they won't say "Money from Russia", but they will list various projects and entities he's dealt with and which are Russian fronts. Or Iranian fronts in the case of his impossible building project in Azerbaijan.
Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote tsarstepan:
Quote:
I'm asking if the IRS can reveal that they are auditing Trump and have been long before Trump became president. Or is the IRS under some kind of legal clause (as stated in my OP or if there is another clause somewhere) that forbids them from revealing the fact they are in that exact legal process.

When Paula Jones claimed that Bill Clinton had her and her husband's tax returns audited as revenge, it the newspapers made clear that the IRS cannot reveal who is being audited.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:51 pm
@Blickers,
Rachel's Ratings: Maddow's Viewership Plummets After Trump Tax Reveal

Interesting how informative that was.
Blickers

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:27 am
@McGentrix,
And yet Rachel has been running ahead of Fox among 25-54 year olds since she tore into The Trump Scandals. Take a look at yesterday's ratings:
Rachel..592
Fox.......549

http://i65.tinypic.com/263vadd.jpg

McGentrix

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:44 am
@Blickers,
You're having a laugh with this right?

It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with Papa Bear O'Reilly.

Quote:
Usual frontrunner, FNC’s The O’Reilly Factor, was not hosted by O’Reilly on Friday; Monday through Thursday, The O’Reilly Factor bested Maddow by about 30K viewers in the 25-54 age bracket.

Maddow’s show logged 2.62 million total viewers last week; 624K of them in the news demo. (CNN averaged 1.2 million total viewers and 402K news demo viewers in the slot, and FNC did 2.64 total viewers and 548K viewers aged 25-54). It was Maddow’s best total viewer showing since October 27, 2008. In the news demo, it was her best showing since October 10, 2016.

Blickers

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 02:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
You're having a laugh with this right?

It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with Papa Bear O'Reilly.

I'm afraid the joke is on you and Fox News fans. Rachel's show had been gaining on O'Reilly's for a long time, last January she had a 58% increase in viewership over January of 2016. And she beat O'Reilly for the whole month of March, with O'Reilly still in place:

Quote:
Rachel Maddow, the dominant voice for progressives on cable news, may be benefiting the most from the Trump administration’s first 100 days. Q1 2017 was the most-watched quarter ever for Maddow’s show. While the quarter was significant for Maddow, the month of March was even more noteworthy. Her program ranked No. 1 across cable news among adults 25-54. MSNBC had never scored a 9 p.m. monthly win over Fox News among adults 25-54 in network history until this past month. Not only was March 2017 Maddow’s best month ever from a ratings perspective, but it provided MSNBC with its best monthly audience delivery for any program in the network’s 20-year history.

Source

There's a strong shift away from Fox News and toward MSNBC, away from Murdoch conservatism and toward progressivism.
0 Replies