A2K London Meet

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 07:52 am
Veggies - the place, where you are served by 'bunnies'?

Great!

Razz

:wink:

Seriously: that's okay, too. I suppose, you know the best places.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 07:55 am
Actually I'm an ex-veggie now. Got too bored of limited selections.

Somewhere central/West End is probably best - I'll have a think about it.

KP
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 07:59 am
There is an absolutely gorgeous place near Oxford Street called Levant, one of my favorite eating out places in London. The food is lebanese, the cocktails are out of this world, and they have a very sexy belly dancer some days to feast the eyes on Smile

http://www.toptable.co.uk/details.cfm?rcode=A456
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:03 am
Unless you want to eat Indian (tee hee) there is a place called Bombay Palace, which serves the best North Indian food in London. And since the manager is a friend of mine, I always get generous portions (and a discount !!)

http://www.toptable.co.uk/Details.cfm?rcode=B335
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:14 am
All better than Roastbeef and Yorckchire pudding with mashed potatoes and peas in unidentifically gravy!

Discount sounds always nice!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:23 am
Hi guys ========= 2oth March, Central London meet would be a real groove. My health permitting, put me on the list of runners and riders.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:30 am
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE

<stands up and does a little jig, secy looks at me as if I have gone mad>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 09:22 am
Greeeeeaaaat!
0 Replies

Relay

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 08:31 am
Well it depends on the time of the year. But i doubt i want to go to London why not choose Norwich my second fav city in england. (i have only been in London and Norwich lol)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 09:07 am
Norwich over London ? <shocked and horrified look>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:31 am
Please revive me! I just fainted. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:40 am
Relay,

There's a phrase "Normal for Norfolk" (where Norwich is the county town) which means retarded as the result of inbreeding among the rural community! "NforN" was sometimes written on the doctor's notes for such people, until it was no longer considered PC.

KP
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:32 am
There's a concert in my native town on March, 22. The "Stadtkapelle" (Town Band) is playing under the motto of "Very British".

I'm sure, I wont miss much.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:27 pm
I went to Norwich once, about 20 years ago and got a sodding parking ticket. Vowed never to go back again and I haven't.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:44 pm
Yo! (butting in)

This thread sounds interesting. I was in London last weekend for the AntiWar march. I found a good Weatherspoons pub just along from Holborn tube station, to rest my weary feet. Good beer, and sport on TV in the cellar bar.

And a very posh hotel next door, too swish for me, the Holborn Court or some such. Anyway that's the trouble with London, too many gaffs. Spoilt for choice.

If I can get away from work, and that's our busy time unfortunately, I'll come. And that's a definite maybe. The spirit is willing.

Hi to friends old and new

McT
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 05:11 am
Hey this has gone quiet since I butted in.

Have I said something WRONG?

Not upset anyone have I?

"...where angels fear to tread......."

Sunny weather here today, quite nice really, no excuse for not washing the car then.
Maybe I'll just make a cup of tea first.....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 05:31 am
Hi, McTag. Not altogether quiet, cause now I'm buttin' in to ask you about the protest march. Smile

Tea for you coffee for me.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 08:53 am
Letty, hi!

Very Happy

I was just about to reply when the website crashed.
Anyway, the London march was more of a shuffle, a stop-start progression; there were just so many people.

I took the Piccadilly Line from my brother's house in north London, and got out at Holborn, the stop before Covent Garden. The streets had been closed to traffic, so it was really quiet and unreal. Only pedestrians were seen, and buses (coaches) containing marchers, from all over the country.
And vans containing riot police (not needed). And corporation dustcarts ready to tackle the cleanup afterwards. Never, in the course of human conflict, has so much overtime been paid to so many, for so little.

I walked down Kingsway, down Aldwych, and onto the riverside at the Embankment. That was only one of three starting points. I was 50 minutes early and the crowds were immense, but quiet and well-behaved.
A nice man gave me a placard to wave. "Don't attack Iraq!" and "Not in my name!"
The police moved us off early, by about 15 minutes, there were so many people joining.
We walked past the Palace of Westminster, where we joshed with the bobbies, and round and up Whitehall, past Downing street. At Trafalgar Square there was another holdup as another column of marchers joined. Then round and up Regent Street where the other body of marchers joined at Piccadilly Circus coming from Bloomsbury, Gower Street. By then, it was getting a little bit crowded! Along Piccadilly, past the Ritz, all the way to Hyde Park Gate, a distance of 3.5 miles, starting and often stopping again. The whole street width was taken up by protesters, most with placards, a very impressive and stirring sight. No-one knows how many marchers there were, as the end of the march had not yet left Embankment when the front of it reached Hyde Park. Many people were late arriving because the roads leading in were so busy. The sheer numbers surprised everybody.
Certainly upwards of a million people attended. I didn't wait to hear all the speeches in the park, but it was well organised with plenty of loudspeakers and screens. One thing I had to do, was find a Gents, urgently. This done, I then walked all the way back along Oxford Street to High Holborn, where the tube was closed due to "a body under the train" and they couldn't say how long to reinstate the service, so I found a comfortable hostelry nearby and watched the rugby match. Got back home around 6.30 wherupon we had a takeaway curry, a nice end to an amazing day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:08 am
McTag.

Thank you for that fantastic depiction of what appears to be a highly successful and peaceful anti-war demonstration in London. It is quite rewarding to me to know that large groups of people can have their say without violent outbreaks or arrests.

In the words of Carl Sandburg: "......the people, yes!"

Pax
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:33 pm
McTag

Thanks for that report!
0 Replies