A2K London Meet

margo

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:06 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So where's it gonna be?

I've got a month before I leave Sydney - so there's plenty of time.

Can KP, Super G and Steve discuss where and let me know. I need to find a place to rest my weary head that night - so a little clue about general direction (for someone with absolutely no sense of direction in the northern hemisphere!) would be a good thing.

Any other takers? Where is Hiama? I presume both McTags are out?
Oakman?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:09 am
I DO presume that both McTags are not in the UK at that time :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:44 pm
Yes unfortunately the McTaggies will be in Germany on an extended tour of Franconia, Westphalia and the Rhineland.

I'm not sure whether to go on a bike or take my skateboard, at the moment.

Anyway, have a good time without us. I'm sure you will....

McT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:59 pm
The 'Lippstadt Skater Day 2003' is unfortunately postponed. (Although, we could perhaps watch a match in the '2nd Bundesliga Inlinehockey' with the 'Lippstadt Rogues'!)

So, bike, that will be okay - or did you the way of getting from one place to the other?
0 Replies

FionaB

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 02:25 pm
Margo

Sadly from the point of view of meeting you and the most excellent pair - Gautam and KPete I will not be able to make it as I will be about to embark on an extended tour of Germany. I was thrilled to read that you were going to make it to the UK but as I knew we would have difficulties fitting in a visit to London because of the planned trip to Germany, I delayed responding. I tried to weave a day in London the day before our exit to Germany but I had to concede (after Mctag put me straight) that it would have been madness. Another time, I hope. I am intrigued - how is it you are coming all this way for two days in the UK? Tell me to mind my own business if I am being too nosey.

Walter - it has been torture sorting the means of travel to the three destinations in Germany. I feel as though I have already made the journey at least three times but each in a different way. Any way I am so glad it is all sorted. I have booked it today so see you soon.

FionaB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 02:36 pm
FionaB

That's marvellous (you remember that you'll see Ulla as well, do you?:wink:)!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 02:56 pm
Fiona

My main visit is to Sweden, to visit some friends and see the midsommar festivities. But I didn't want my friends to feel they had to keep me amused and touristed all that time, (visitors and prawns go off in 3 days)so I decided to take advantage of cheap flights to London and see you people (and other friends).

I also wanted to go to Switzerland to see friends I haven't seen for ages, but the airfares were just hideous - ain't no cheap flights to Switzerland that I could find.

So - I decided on just 4 days in UK, (hideously expensive with Oz$) & catch up with some friends. Then the thought of frequent flyer points came to me - and - quick trip to Swissland had to come out of London time already booked. I looked at changing my return flight - but, as with these cheap fares, it's just too expensive to change your mind Confused

Result: One extremely flying visit! Sorry to miss you and McTag.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 05:39 pm
Hey Walt, "you" is plural as well as singular in English.

But if you're Scottish, you can say "youse" for the plural.
Dialect can be useful. It's usually accurate, and brief.

What the hell am I talking about?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:49 am
McTag

Good question, the answer to which, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Have a good time in Germany et environs. We might be over later for a surprise visit

Sorry , have to break off to save a pigeon....

too late large black crow has just flown off with Mrs Pigeon's egg from outside my window. Damn I had my eye on that for breakfast myself.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:18 pm
Gentlemen

Locations suggestions Question Same as before?

I'm prepared to be guided by your local knowledge. We may have enticed John the Oakman to come with us! I need to find a hotel - but I don't think the Dorchester is me Confused
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:26 pm
Margo, worry not, when Walter sees this he will send you a link to the best gaffs around.

By the way- and having bought a lottery ticket this evening- I can tell you gentle readers that one of my pet fantasies is being able to use luxury hotels, the ones you see in glossy expensive magazines, the ones you see me with my nose pressed up against the window of. For example, near where we were last time, and just along from Penderel's Oak in High Holborn, there's a swanky hotel called the Holborn Court or something which looks absolutely great- although you can't judge a book by its cover, as they say.
Anyway, if my numbers come up, I'll send you all a postcard. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:55 pm
McTag
Have I found this great deal for you - on Walter's previoiusly noted website. And it's on special too!

http://www.superbreak.com/home.cfm?GroupID=189&Company=IN736&content=hotel
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:57 pm
Well, I only can afford staying in b & b's outside the city, since neither my lucky numbers came up until now nor I can spend my to be inheritance :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:15 pm
Thanks Margo
Five stars! Wow, that's my lucky number
"Stompin' at the Savoy"
McT
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:19 pm
I found my thrill
At the Savoy Grill
I had eaten my fill
When I saw you

The moon stood still
Over the Savoy Grill
The kidneys were devilled
And your eyes were too....................

(fill in the rest yourselves Smile )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:20 pm
Savoy, the home of sweet romance ...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:24 am
margo, have you found a place as yet ? Once u find something u like - we will arrange to meet up nearby, so that you don't have a long way to go after KP and I wine and dine you !!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 02:38 pm
Super G
I was waiting the other way!

I thought I'd look for a place near where I expected (hoped) to end up! Confused

There's a squillion hotels around - so I should be able to find something in my price bracket. I did look longingly at the Savoy, as I suggested to McTag! But with the exchange rate running roughly $3Aus to the pound, yikes!

I've been having a look at Kensington, Bayswater, etc.,..,.Whaddya think?!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 03:14 am
Actually margo, London is so full of fantastic places - that anywhere you stay (short of Brixton, Camberwell, Deptford, Acton town and like) that we will arrange something near by !

Kensington is a nice place to stay in, though hotels out there can be very scrummy. Bayswater is a bit too far from where all the action is, though Bayswater itself has some action, notably, a Indian joint called Khan's Smile

Sending u a PM now .....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 05:04 am
The Savoy!

Slumming it a bit aren't we Margo?

Surely you meant The Dorchester?
0 Replies