how do i get a conversation started??

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:43 pm
i have this T.A in my health class and i think that he is older..... he always starts a conversation but i get so ditzy around him, so i cant say any thing except nod my head,,,,
and when i do talk to him i turn bright red,,,,, how embarrasing right ,,, and its not like that only with this guy but its with most of the ones that i meet and are hot,,, is there any solution to my problem?

please help or give me some advice

Smile
==== thanks
Confused freakie me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 611 • Replies: 6
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:54 pm
Ask him about the price of corn.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:56 pm
Interesting conundrum, freakie to. I believe one possible solution to your problem can be found in B.F. Skinners' Contingencies of Reinforcement: A Theoretical Analysis.

In it, he describes his theory of shaping, or "the method of successive approximations," which involves first reinforcing a behavior only vaguely similar to the one desired. Once that is established, you look out for variations that come a little closer to what you want, and so on, until you are performing a behavior that would never show up in ordinary life. This process was expounded upon by Doctor Gustav Ratzenhofer, in his paper, "Exponential Reduction of Behavioral Psychoanalysis". It is a well-known and highly regarded work, and well worth a look.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:00 pm
I might just have to take your statement and move it over to your "post of the day" thread, kicky.

But in the meantime the child continues to suffer.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
You're right Gus. We should really try to help.

Hmmm...go with that corn thing, Freakie to.
0 Replies

EMSFD125

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:05 pm
how old are you two
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:13 pm
Re: how do i get a conversation started??
freakie to wrote:
i have this T.A in my health class and i think that he is older..... he always starts a conversation but i get so ditzy around him, so i cant say any thing except nod my head,,,,
and when i do talk to him i turn bright red,,,,, how embarrasing right ,,, and its not like that only with this guy but its with most of the ones that i meet and are hot,,, is there any solution to my problem?

please help or give me some advice

Smile
==== thanks
Confused freakie me

I had a problem like that when I was younger, I eventually grew out of it mostly. My suggestion would be to look for and discuss common interests. Stuff that you know about. If he says he likes books or partying or whatever, make a remark. Tell him what you like. Find an common ground and expound upon it. Dont expect to become a socialite overnight, conversation is a skill, it can be learned. youre gonna have to stick your neck out. There will be some weird moments, but it cant be much worse than nodding your head constantly :wink:
0 Replies