Assoc of Reproductive Health Professionals
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,991 • Replies: 50
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:15 pm
I'd do a little write-up, but I'm too tired.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:04 am
littlek- I found those articles extremely disturbing. I do not believe that religious concerns of a particular faith should even enter in matters of scientific inquiry.

<This is what I really wanted to say about the article, but it would be unseemly for a Moderator to come out with a string of blue language!>
>&^(#@*&%$*+^%$*^$

I think that you get my drift! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:22 am
Pretty much what I thought on reading up about it. And, I agree. If his belief system is part of his practice - good for him, but he doesn't belong in that department. But, yet, there he is.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:44 am
Quote:
The Bush Administration announced that they have chosen Dr. W. David Hager to chair the Food and Drug Administration's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee, a committee of 11 members that oversees contraception and abortion medications.

Dr. Hager is a conservative ob/gyn who has been known for relying on his religious beliefs to make medical decisions, such as only prescribing birth control to married women, and recommending prayers for headaches and premenstrual syndrome. Dr. Hager has strong ties to the Christian Medical Association and the anti-abortion group Focus on the Family. He is author of the book "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women Then and Now".

[insert VERY blue language here.] Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:51 am
Apparently Mr. Bush is attempting to impose HIS religious views on the citizenry of the US by appointing people who will attempt to subordinate science to conform to a narrow view of Christianity.

The funny this is, I remember the very vocal concerns that people had when Kennedy was running for President. Many people thought that his decisions would reflect the views of the Vatican. They didn't. And now this.........................
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:59 am
At least that guy is no longer Chair of the committee.....but still. Here's a form letter you can send in to Bush, FDA Commissioner McClellan, and FDA Women's Health Director Susan Wood to keep Hager from being part of the discussion on Mifepristone useage.

Mifepristone is a drug that is known for being "the safest and earliest method of abortion.... [it also shows] promising indications as a possible treatment for fibroid tumors, ovarian cancer, some types of breast cancer, psychotic major depression, and other serious diseases."

Cookie cutter letter to Bush

"Beyond Baby Blues: Is Post Partum Depression a Diagnosis or an Excuse" Another astounding title by Hager. "Hager makes no mention of the biological causes of this disease. Instead, he names guilt and post partum unattractiveness as causes, and recommends paternal involvement and reading of Scriptures as the treatments."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:03 am
littlek- Stop! What you are saying is making me want to puke. This is supposed to be a scientist????? Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:07 am
Dr. Joseph Stanford of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City advocates
"natural family planning", e.g. the rhythm method, as the only acceptable
form of contraception because ".medicine is permeated with attitudes
toward sexuality and fertility that are incompatible with Christian values
of the sanctity of life, marriage, and procreation, attitudes that both
reflect and perpetuate the recreational approach to sexuality found in
our secular culture," reported HealthScoutNews.

Dr. Vivian Lewis of the University of Rochester Medical Center, advocates greater restrictions on mifepristone, despite its proven safety and enormous potential for treatment of several serious illnesses including some types of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and possibly prostate cancer; uterine fibroids; endometriosis; Cushing's syndrome and depression. One million women worldwide and 100,000 women in the US have safely and effectively used the FDA-sanctioned regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol for medical abortion.

Above from random site found through google
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:07 am
Sorry, Pho.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:13 am
It's just another piece of Bush's agenda. He if he could would turn this nation into a theocracy. I have always been afraid that the Moral majority, religious right or whatever they choose to call themselves was one of the greatest dangers our secular democracy has to face. There is nothing worse than a religious zealot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:21 am
This got me thinking:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3817&highlight=
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:23 am
Phoenix:

I agree. Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:23 am
I've already seen it.... hopefully that'll be a good discussion thread.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:24 am
au:

Religious zealot...you mean like the terrorists on 9/11/01? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:26 am
There were 7 faiths on the shuttle columbia, when it went down.

Did God hear only one of the individuals or did God hear the prayers of all.
I suspect the crew all prayed, each one in his/her own way and that God did hear each soul. Smile
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:31 am
Why is Hager considered a religious zealot, based on this quote?
He is a christian, But that isn't the real problem. He hasn't kept with with research, literature or clinical medicine.

He shouldn't be appointed, because he isn't qualified. NOT because he is a Christian. Mad
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:32 am
Quote:
Pro-choice advocates accuse White House of injecting politics, theology into reproductive health with the naming of at least three panelists opposed to abortion.

And naming pro-choce panelists wouldn't be "injecting politics"? Let's be honest here, it's all politics. Is it really that frightening to you to have both points of view represented when making decisions on such an important issue, or do you fear that your point of view won't win out in a rigorous debate?

And you might consider leaving off the attacks on religion. It's a red herring. It doesn't matter if someone is opposed to abortion for religious reasons. It's his or her opposition to abortion with which you should deal, not his or her religion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:32 am
Bush's New Pro-life Holiday

They're kidding right?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:36 am
Why so much Bush bashing?
0 Replies