At What Professional Level Does One Become an A*hole?

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
I am very concerned because I am in position where I am qualified to be promoted. In other words I can do the job and more of my boss and have been told repeatedly that I am ready to be promoted to VP. No surprise to me of course because I am awesome, but I have noticed that many others at the VP level are a*holes and I really wish not to be one.

For example recently my boss had to give me some not so great news (not due to my performance) but just because of horrible circumstances in the economy and with our merger. Basically he gave me a song and dance. I called him on it, respectively of course, but he continued with the song and dance and was not straightforward with me. Even if the outcome were not in favor for me, I would prefer to know the truth and not some made up crap to spare my feelings. I am an adult and am in a high enough position that I know what is going on. Anyhow, this VP used to be normal and not make up crap. He used to be straightforward. Now he is a yes man and repeats the crap he hears spurting from others even though he himself does not believe it - I can tell by his eyes, body language and tone that he does not believe what he is saying.

Am I destined to be one of these or can I overcome it? I would prefer to stay at my lowly AVP status rather than lower my personal standards. I am always forthright with my reports and if there is some reason I cannot tell them something, I say that rather than make up some crap.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 697 • Replies: 2
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:46 pm
Good for you, Linkat!

I've noticed the same phenomenon time and time again. All I can think of is Darth Vader calling Luke over to the Dark Side.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:53 pm
Do you think, George, they actually do that? Entice you with a good salary and bonus pool, some other little perks. After you are happy with your nice cushy position, they plant some recording in your office that softly says over and over … come over to the dark side. And before you know it, you are an a*hole.
0 Replies