Please Explain The Following Sentence For Me.

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 08:33 pm
Hello everyone

The following sentence was a Japanese translation problem in an actual exam long time ago, but I do not understand what it tells. Please someone explains what the sentence means or what it wants to tell. Additionally, I do not get grammatical rules of this sentence, either.

I was 19 years old happy birthday. I'm happy everyone was and spend the last 10 generations.

Best Regards,

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 08:42 pm
@pepperjoker,
Quote:
I'm happy everyone was and spend the last 10 generations.

"...and spend the last 10 generations." doesn't make any sense.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm
@pepperjoker,
What do you mean by Japanese translation problem?

I was 19 years old happy birthday. I'm happy everyone was and spend the last 10 generations.

That these two sentences were written in Japanese and this is how your translation into English came out?

Or that the sentences were written in English and you want to know what they mean so you can translate it into Japanese?
pepperjoker

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 04:57 am
@Blickers,
This was a problem students were required to translate this English sentence into Japanese in order to grasp the meaning of the sentence. However, when I recently tried to solve this problem, I could not figure it out that what that sentence wanted to say. I want somebody to explain this sentence in either English or Japanese so that I can understand what the sentence tells us. By the way I think this problem was on an exam of The University of Tokyo few decades ago...
ekename

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 05:04 am
@pepperjoker,
Show us your source pepper.
pepperjoker

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 05:26 am
@ekename,
I'm sorry but I do not have the source since this test was done few decades ago... but this topic is so popular that many Japanese people discus about this in some forums.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:46 pm
@pepperjoker,
Guesswork:

I was wished happy birthday (recenty? yesterday?) at 19 years old. I'm glad everyone else at my party felt equally cheerful. having spent spent up to the last 10 generations in preparation for my party
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:09 pm
@dalehileman,
There are approximately 250 years in 10 generations.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cis at 86, not 96, thank you most kindly, you've absolutely completed my week

Meanwhile I wonder if you've noted any sudden glitches; nothin' seems to work here anymore....Im getting exhausted tryin' to cope
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:32 pm
@dalehileman,
No problem encountered from here.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:53 pm
@pepperjoker,
Quote:
Hello everyone

The following sentence was a Japanese translation problem in an actual exam long time ago, but I do not understand what it tells. Please someone explains what the sentence means or what it wants to tell. Additionally, I do not get grammatical rules of this sentence, either.

Hello, pepperjoke. I'm not at all surprised at this type of sentence being on a U of Tokyo English exam. From long long experience with the Japanese system of English education, I can tell you that that sentence is not English.

Because of how English is taught in Japan, [actually in most countries] that sentence is Japlish.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or to Japan or to the people of Japan.
0 Replies

pepperjoker

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:05 pm
Thank you for those who answer my question. I understand that the sentence is incorrect English. One of my teacher told me that the sentence was wrong told question. I am sorry that I have been confusing you.
However, I have got other English problems (surely reliable problems) in exams of the University of Tokyo, which I am struggle with understanding and solving so that I am going to post as a new topic to ask somebody to help me with my study in order to be admitted for the university next year. I really need helps of native speaker of English.

Best Regards

pepperjoker
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:15 pm
@pepperjoker,
If you build the questions, they will come.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:57 pm
@pepperjoker,
In addition to participating here on a2k, it's a good idea to watch English tv if that's available in your country.
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
In addition to participating here on a2k,

Watching TV can't undo the harm done by many of the replies given at A2K.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:52 am
@camlok,
I'm not sure how long you have been active on a2k, but many people have sought and received good advice on many subjects. It has also assisted in developing friendships, and people meeting people from other countries. I have personally met people through a2k, and met them in person. It includes England, Germany, France, Russia, Mexico, and the US.
Sergei in Moscow met with me, and gave me a tour of Moscow. When I had a layover in Mexico City on my way to Cuba, Francisco gave me a tour of Mexico City.
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
None of which is about the issue I raised, Cicerone. Noted though, that you have done a very nice song and dance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 01:52 pm
@camlok,
You're not the only participant on a2k. Grow up!
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 02:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You certainly do have trouble focusing, Cicerone. Quite a common affliction around here.
0 Replies