Vow of silence

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:55 pm
nimh wrote:
I'm with A Lone Voice (a most gracious post too, ALV) - if from the other side, of course.

You're a voice of reason, FreeDuck. We need people like you to speak more, not less. Here on A2K and probably out in the real world too. We're the better for it.

Me three. You've been a wonderfully thoughtful addition to the political threads, FreeDuck. I'd miss you there.

kickycan wrote:
... as much as I hate to admit it, you are right. <snip>

You are still a blockhead though. :wink:

Thanks Kicky. I know that must have killed you to admit. :wink:
(means that much more)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:57 pm
Geez, I wasn't expecting all of the kind comments, and from such respected members to boot. I really appreciate that, folks. ALV, it means something to me that my words made you consider or reconsider something. Part of my desire to be silent stems from the feeling that nothing I say makes any difference.

Asherman, thanks for the pep talk. O'Bill, how does it feel to have finally voted for the winner?! I think your voting history was about like mine -- only I have yet to vote for the winner in a presidential election, though I confess this is the first time my candidate had a chance to win. Congrats to you.

And, really, thank God for A2K. It's a kind of therapy, I think.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Honestly? It tasted better voting for the losers.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 04:02 pm
Laughing Nothing that can't be washed away with a few vodka and tonics...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Eva wrote:
panzade wrote:
I just read two posts by O'Bill, a poster I used to respect, calling Kerry a scumbag.

I felt the same way when I read those, pan. I'm afraid it has changed my opinion of O'Bill.

And I really liked him. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This saddens me. I have read Bush called every terrible name allowed on A2K and suddenly I'm a bad guy because I slam his opponent. Delaying admission of his obvious defeat put him in the category of scumbag, IMHO. People I respect greatly use worse words to describe Bush on a daily basis. I do hope you guys are having over-emotional reactions because this is "sore loser" behavior... and after accusing me of gloating. Confused I cheer when my Packers win too... and live to make fun of the Bears. When my Packers lose, I don't suddenly decide to take personally the opinions of the Bear Fans. If you were trying to hurt my feelings, it worked.

I'm sorry, O'Bill. I didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I shouldn't have written that.

I think there is a difference, though, between hating someone's policies and name-calling. I think you crossed the line with "scumbag." And yes, it did smack of gloating, too, esp. with the timing and all.

My friends here in Tulsa who are Bush supporters were at least kind enough not to bring up the issue yesterday. I had hoped for the same kind of respect on A2K. I was disappointed by your remarks.

I truly hope we're still friends. I'm sure I will disappoint you sooner or later, if I haven't already.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:12 pm
Apology accepted, darlin. And I am sorry my words had such a negative effect on you.

After staying up half the night; long past the outcome being obvious, it made me very angry in the morning that he hadn't conceded. Use of the term scumbag was a raw, unfiltered emotion for the revulsion I felt about a legal challenge to the people's will. The fact that he did the right thing sooner rather than later is good on him, but he could have done so much sooner. It doesn't really matter when he concedes, or when the television and internet maps project the winner: they always finish counting the votes anyway. Not conceding when it is obvious, is the prelude to a lawsuit on a close election, as the true winner will be chosen regardless of what he says and when. That is why it upset me enough to call him names.

Feeling like I had cast my vote for George Bush purely for lack of a better alternative didn't make me feel special, so gloating wouldn't be too accurate of term. I can't tell you how much I'd have liked a better alternative.

At any rate, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond. I'd prefer we write this off as a trivial political disagreement and never think of it again.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
I guess we were watching different channels, then. At midnight, CNN (the most middle-of-the-road source I could find) was saying it wasn't looking good for Kerry, but was still possible. I went to bed. When I checked in again at 8 a.m., the electoral vote was 254 Bush, 252 Kerry, and Ohio was still out with only 100,000 votes separating the two candidates. CNN's banner read: Too Close To Call. They were saying the provisional votes might well be the deciding factor (???), and it would take up to 10 days to count all those. I dropped off my son at school at 8:40, and the other parents (mostly Bush supporters) all agreed it might take a few more days to sort out. So it didn't seem at all belated when Kerry conceded later that morning. At least, not from my vantage point.

I am glad to hear you would have preferred a better alternative to Bush. We can at least agree on that!

Let's kiss and make up now, okay?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:24 pm
I believe it was between midnight and 3:00 a.m. that Ohio was called briefly, then recalled almost immediately at the protest from the Kerry camp. I was breaking down Wisconsin literally County by County on one screen while watching Ohio crawl forward 1% at a time on another. When they had counted 90% of the vote, Kerry was behind by 100,000 votes. As each percentage of completion was added, Bush's lead actually increased each and every time. Overnight, Kerry's deficit actually increased by about 30% and it was vividly clear that last night's protest was in vain. And keep in mind; Edwards, who I've considered a scumbag from day one, had already said they would continue to fight no matter what... or words to that effect, on Kerry's behalf. Just made me mad is all! Evil or Very Mad

On the other hand, why am I still babbling about this when I could be kissing? Come here you!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-005.gif
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
Kissing is much more fun, isn't it?!

Now, go back and edit out the Edwards "scumbag" thing, or I'll hafta start saying what I really think about Cheney. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:41 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:49 pm
You may think Cheney's a scumbag, but he's a hell of a bright scumbag.
0 Replies