BAD NIGHT FOR DEMS

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 04:18 am
Bush wins popular vote by nearly 4 million.

First President since 1988 to win a majority of the popular vote.

Largest number of votes in history go to Bush

Bush wins electoral vote with comfortable margin...projected 286 - 252

Senate Minority Leader Daschle defeated.

GOP gains seats in House.

GOP gains margin in Senate.

Do ya think the Dems may one day figure out that a campaign based solely on the imagined negatives of the opponent will never be a winner?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:02 am
There is enough dissention in the country that a conservative Democrat could have won handly, if they had the right candidate. IMO, one of the only things going for Kerry, was that he wasn't Bush.

I think that if the Democrats have any hope of gaining any power, they need to look long and hard at their candidates.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:08 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
There is enough dissention in the country that a conservative Democrat could have won handly, if they had the right candidate. IMO, one of the only things going for Kerry, was that he wasn't Bush.

I think that if the Democrats have any hope of gaining any power, they need to look long and hard at their candidates.

Obviously, but I have been informed by some stalwart Dems this morning that they are pursuing the right strategy for America, despite their losses in every national and most statehouse elections in this decade.

Go figure. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:13 am
Larry434 - What else would you expect them to say? They were swamped, in all the elections.

BTW, I am NOT happy that the Republicans have gained an even higher majority in Congress. I am a big believer in checks and balances.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:15 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Larry434 - What else would you expect them to say? They were swamped, in all the elections.

BTW, I am NOT happy that the Republicans have gained an even higher majority in Congress. I am a big believer in checks and balances.

Me too.

I would expect the Dems to revise their strategy and move toward the center with their 2008 candidate, but they don't seem to understand their problem do they?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:23 am
Larry434- No, they don't. If the Democrats had any real savvy, they never would have put two extreme left wingers against extreme right wingers. I think that the vast majority of this country are of a moderate bent. So now we had a situation, where one had to choose between two extremes. A conservative Democrat would have had a much better chance of winning.

Not smart!
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:25 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Larry434- No, they don't. If the Democrats had any real savvy, they never would have put two extreme left wingers against extreme right wingers. I think that the vast majority of this country are of a moderate bent. So now we had a situation, where one had to choose between two extremes. A conservative Democrat would have had a much better chance of winning.

Not smart!

Yup. For me it came down to Kerry being further to my Left than Bush is to my Right.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:51 am
Larry434 wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Not smart!

Yup. For me it came down to Kerry being further to my Left than Bush is to my Right.

Peraonally, the idea of somebody being fifteen degrees further to the left or right than I am doesn't bother me that terribly much. W. is to the left of me on several positions, to the right on one or two.

What bothers me about the democrats is the criminality, the manufacturing of class conflicts where none exist in nature, the racism, the monarchism, the idea that they have some devine right to rule despite no longer representing anybody other than "victims", real or imagined, the cheating in elections etc. etc. etc..

Basically, I'm just voting against democrats in elections anymore, i.e. voting for whoever has the best shot at preventing a democrat from holding the office in question, and that's usually the republican but it doesn't really matter. It's more important to me that the democrats lose than that anybody else in particular wins.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Not smart!

Bush and Cheney are the furthest thing from "right wingers". Real right wingers are so pissed at the republicans right now, they can't see straight.

The thing I like best about George W. Bush is the list of his enemies in life, including pretty much all members of the democrat party organization, all terrorists, the beloved leader in N. Koreah, the mullahs in Iran, all of the losers who run the UN, Chirac and all of the eurotrash leadership echelon, AND ALL OF THE TRIPLE-CHROMOSOME 100% RIGHT2LIFE (TM) SELF-PROCLAIMED SUPER CONSERVATIVES who voted for Mike Peroutka or any other third party.

If there's such a thing as a "right to life" in this universe, then why are there predators?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:00 am
gungasnake- Basically, I am a libertarian. Therefore, I agree with Bush's stance on the economy, but not on social issues. I agreed with Kerry's take on abortion, gay marriage, and stem cell research.

Bottom line though, I had to prioritize. To me, the war on terror is the US most important challenge, and on account of his track record, I did not think that Kerry had the intransigence to see the US through this difficult time.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
gungasnake- Basically, I am a libertarian. Therefore, I agree with Bush's stance on the economy, but not on social issues. I agreed with Kerry's take on abortion, gay marriage, and stem cell research.

Basically, I check out 80% of the way towards being a libertarian on every sort of test, but even if the race were between George and a libertarian and the dems didn't exist, I'd still vote for George on this one. I'd be perfectly happy to vote for libertarian dog catchers, mayors, sherrifs, councilmen, representatives, and senators, but this one was about survival and not about counting shekels.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:07 am
Im pissed at the large institutions , like the Catholic Church whove been able to impress the "morals" issue upon their membership thus enabling this regime to continue.

The country is undeniably split. Im anxious to see who will make up the new cabinet. Will they be members who plot a further descent into Goebbels -like double speak, exclusionary politics and imposed morals, or will they recognize that bush is way behind on his
"Im a uniter" boast.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:11 am
farmerman wrote:
Im pissed at the large institutions , like the Catholic Church whove been able to impress the "morals" issue upon their membership thus enabling this regime to continue.

The country is undeniably split. Im anxious to see who will make up the new cabinet. Will they be members who plot a further descent into Goebbels -like double speak, exclusionary politics and imposed morals, or will they recognize that bush is way behind on his
"Im a uniter" boast.

I am betting on John McCain for Secretary of Defense.

And I think Powell will not want to serve a second term, so we will have a new Secretary of State...I don't have a clue who that would be.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:15 am
The basic bottom line reality is that if republicans had conducted themselves in 42 the way dems have conducted themselves in this election, the republican party would have been banned and outlawed and its leaders rounded up and put in cages.

I don't really give a damn what democrats think; I want the democrat party destroyed, and I have to suspect that George Bush and Carl Rove are thinking along similar lines at this point. They came to D.C. in 2000 thinking they would work with democrats here the way they had in Texas, and four years has to be enough for the reality of the thing to have sunk in. George W. Bush has bent over backwards and made evey conceivable effort to treat democrats decently, and all he's ever gotten for it is being **** on.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:15 am
First of all, it is not really over yet.

Why do you think that Powell will be resign?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:23 am
Thok wrote:
First of all, it is not really over yet.

BWWAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH hahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha hahahah hahah hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhh......
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:31 am
farmerman wrote:

"Im a uniter" boast.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041103/ap_on_el_st_lo/eln_gay_marriage_9

Is this country really split on moral issues as you say? I find it interesting that 10 States passed overwhelmingly to ban Same Sex marriage. In these States that favord Kerry (Oregon) and others that were close were so decisive in this regard.

Maybe from morals standpoint, the split is not as big as the media would have us think.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:43 am
gungasnake wrote:
haha...

Nope.

The count in some states is still under way. With many electors which can decide it, yet.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:27 am
Kerry has conceded.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:29 am
trust us on this Thok...we're at the epicenter
0 Replies