The Silver Lining

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:21 am
Looks like Bush won. That sucks. But there is always a silver lining. Here are the positives that I see.

1. Bush's pre-emptive war doctrine will be challenged very hard by the press and the people, making it much harder for him to mire us in another Iraq.

2. The press has four more years to expose Bush as the incompetent fraud that he is.

That's all I got, and I'm not even totally sure about the first one. It ain't much, but I can dream can't I?

Anything anyone would like to add?

And please, all you Bush supporters, please give us a break, on this thread at least. Your guy won, now show a little graciousness, please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,718 • Replies: 39
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:27 am
Would be good if we do too, Kicky - yeah?

I am not at all sure about the pre-emptive strike stuff, sadly - I think it will depend more on international reaction - from close allies - if the current administration id gonna give a damn about what ANYBODY thinks now.

Now I am looking for a silver lining....ummmmm....
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:04 am
The silver lining? A good reason to develop a third viable party. Immediately! Better late than never, eh?

And civil disobedience will become an everyday occurance to prevent the right of civil disobedience to be taken away...

And the deficit will grow unchecked, but since *I* am *poor*, I won't be paying any significant amount to reduce it any time in my lifetime unless my life changes dramatically...

And if social security disappears, well, I haven't paid all that much in to the system; and I know a million things to eat for free, even if I lose all my teeth...

And I might just go out and purchase that assault weapon I hadn't ever thought I'd need... Might as well, since I can, right? Confused

Bet you mainlanders can get a good deal on a cord of wood since the oil prices will continue to rise...

Yeah, there're silver linings, plenty of 'em, and lemonade to make as well.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:21 am
Silver Lining
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/cl/cloud.jpg

Silver lining in America's ignorance

Most Americans are so ignorant about their own government that they are unable to identify even a single department in the United States Cabinet.

Quote:

Pretty grim.

But there is a silver lining.

If so few Americans can name these super-agencies that spend billions and billions of their hard-earned tax dollars, then it ought to be relatively easy to persuade these people the agencies should be abolished.

After all, who could oppose abolishing a department they couldn't name?

Do you see where I'm going?

Most Americans are so hopelessly out of touch with their government that it makes it entirely hopeful they can be convinced most functions of that government are entirely unnecessary – which they are.

Let's just start from the bottom and begin whacking these departments one by one – or better yet, two by two. Better yet, maybe we should start with the Department of Education that has done so much to aid this dumbing-down process.

How important could the work of these agencies be if Americans can't even name them? How popular could they be? How vital could they be? How necessary?

It's sad that Americans don't know who is wasting their precious money. But since they don't, let's capitalize on their ignorance.

Let's start cutting. Nothing will stimulate the economy more or reduce the deficit faster. And with fewer names to remember, it's a certainty Americans will do better on this test in the future.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:19 am
The only silver lining that i see is that now President Bush is out there all by himself since the dems won't be campaigning for a while. A long while.

Inspite of what some people think; I think the dems really were counting on this race and put everything they had into it and we still lost.

What won the day was 'god', Guns and Gays is what their saying and I believe it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
I hadn't seen this, posted the following on the "results!" thread:

I'm going to make a bright side attempt:

If Bush wins:

- Bush has to live with the Iraq mess.
- There will likely be a split within the Republican party as the moderates and conservatives face off.
- Bush has to live with the economy mess.
- The media -- which overwhelmingly endorsed Kerry -- will be chastened by the fact that their softball reportage didn't get through to Americans and will ramp up the intensity
- Colin Powell will speak out once he is no longer in office.
- Bush has to live with the North Korea mess.
- Bush has to live with the NCLB mess.

In sum -- Kerry would have had a terrible upward slog, and could have been blamed for a lot of Bush's failures. Now Bush will have to live with the consequences.

If Kerry wins

- All of the obvious plus sweet karmic payback for 2000.

Franklin county went 54% Kerry vs. 46% Bush. I'm gonna grab that and hope I did the best I could do.

Plus, additional positive is that after Bush has thoroughly messed things up, a really strong Democratic contender like Obama can sweep through.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:34 am
sozobe wrote:
I hadn't seen this, posted the following on the "results!" thread:

I'm going to make a bright side attempt:

If Bush wins:

- Bush has to live with the Iraq mess.
- There will likely be a split within the Republican party as the moderates and conservatives face off.
- Bush has to live with the economy mess.
- The media -- which overwhelmingly endorsed Kerry -- will be chastened by the fact that their softball reportage didn't get through to Americans and will ramp up the intensity
- Colin Powell will speak out once he is no longer in office.
- Bush has to live with the North Korea mess.
- Bush has to live with the NCLB mess.

In sum -- Kerry would have had a terrible upward slog, and could have been blamed for a lot of Bush's failures. Now Bush will have to live with the consequences.

Plus, additional positive is that after Bush has thoroughly messed things up, a really strong Democratic contender like Obama can sweep through.

<Nodding> It's the rule of the playroom: clean up your mess then go on to do other things. Let's hope he's able to do it without some help from his elders. Or the upandcoming younguns in 2008.

Can Obama run for prez or vice prez in 2008? I would support him on a ticket. I suppose most would think my dream of Hillary as his running mate more of a nightmare... But that would be sweet...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
there is no bright side...there is no more america, not the one we grew up in, this is a watershed moment.....we are f*#ked.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:42 am
This is the darkest day in American history.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:45 am
That's my impulse, too, Gus. I'm really hoping that there are enough checks and balances left -- free press, reasonable Republicans (they exist), Democrats who can fight like hell in the White House -- that we'll eke out 4 more years without an unmitigated disaster, and go from there.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:45 am
Another personal silver lining. I have more insentive to move to Italy now.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:47 am
kickycan wrote:
Another personal silver lining. I have more insentive to move to Italy now.

Might join you if Blair wins in the next elections.
0 Replies

Synonymph

If Kerry won the election, Bush would probably throw troops at a random small country between now and inauguration Day to assuage his frustration at having lost.

This not happening is the ONLY silver lining I can see in a Bush second term.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

sozobe wrote:
That's my impulse, too, Gus. I'm really hoping that there are enough checks and balances left -- free press, reasonable Republicans (they exist), Democrats who can fight like hell in the White House -- that we'll eke out 4 more years without an unmitigated disaster, and go from there.

because you have a sozlet to look after I will implore you not to hold your breath....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:48 am
Yeah. But because I have a sozlet to look after I'm determined not to plunge into the abyss...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
I will and do teach my cubs how to look at the big picture and not give in to fear or complacency...that's all one can do....also teach your cubs how to keep their bullshit detector sharp and working......yesterday I took my oldest cub to vote with me. He is mentally handicapped as some of you know...I could have just told him walking in the door who to vote for and he would have.....instead we talked about it at length before hand and I also spent a long time at the poll with him explaining things he didn't understand.....when he asked me who he should vote for I told him to decide for himself and explained a couple of bond issues to him......he asked some good questions and voted....and was very proud of himself for participating when we left the polls......(a lady gave him a first time voters donut......that was a perk :wink:)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
That's cool. :-)

Yep, I have the feeling the sozlet will be attending a lot of protests with me over the next 4 years...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
silver lining: Obama won!

Kicky, maybe I'll see you in Italy.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:03 am
littlek wrote:
silver lining: Obama won!

Yep, he could become the next but one president according to roumors.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:07 am
Too bad his name rhymes with Osama. The Republicans will use that against him.
0 Replies