Should I be blaming myself this much for my breakup?

Drkhrt

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 02:41 pm
I know I shouldn't care what one person thinks, but I do. Because that one person is my ex- and after going through so much together over 4 years, this feeling of hatred that he seems to have towards me is unbearable.
It's been three months since we split- it was a complicated relationship and we both made mistakes. However, in the end, I did a couple of petty things (we're not talking cheating or anything really sinister, just really petty stuff) that ended up killing the relationship for good.
Now, I have always acknowledged and accepted that I f-ed up, and although me and my ex don't talk anymore, on the occasions that I have contacted him, he remains cold and almost cruel to me. He said that he doesn't harbour any bad feeling toward me but he isn't nice or respectful towards me at all.
I'm not really sure how I should feel- I feel like a piece of sh*t because that seems to be how how feels about me. I can't help but feel guilty and blame myself for everything. But- and it's a big but- he made mistakes too. Mistakes that suggest cheating, or at least, intent to cheat. So when I compare that against anything I ever did to him (being moody, kinda petty, a little argumentative at times), it just doesn't seem comparable. He was never really THAT sorry for the things I found out about him and forgave him for, yet he has made it clear that he isn't going to forgive me for things that are so minor in comparison.
I don't know how I should feel- on one hand I know I acted like a jerk just before we split, so I've been beating myself up about it and struggling to forgive myself. But at the same time, how is it that he seemingly gets to walk away without any guilt/responsibility when he did things that were worse? Should I be mad with myself, or him? I really don't know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 520 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 03:16 pm
@Drkhrt,
It is over and you need to stop obsessing about it.

Quote:
Should I be blaming myself this much for my breakup?
Question by Drkhrt
Posted 04/07/17 4:41 PMReplies: 0

Ex not taking the pending closure of our joint account seriously
Question by Drkhrt
Posted 04/03/17 10:55 AMReplies: 12

Broke NC and made a fool of myself
Discussion by Drkhrt
Posted 03/29/17 4:44 PMReplies: 8

Can't stop obsessing about my ex
Discussion by Drkhrt
Posted 03/25/17 8:44 PMReplies: 4

I don't want to let him go
Discussion by Drkhrt
Posted 03/20/17 11:05 AMReplies: 11

Have you made an appointment to talk to a doctor about this? you may need some temporary support from a professional.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 09:55 am
Your low self esteem and his apathetic behavior is a bad mix.

Are you going to accept that he is what he is, probably a self-abosrbed, immature cad who wants it over between you two?

Please seek professional help to figure out why you are obsessing about someone who just doesn't give a dam.
0 Replies