Business english

bmo

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:58 am
Is this correct?

Your company often received orders from other countries, for instance, North Korea; but I heard recently you are turning the market to China. Since there have been so many companies currently investing over there, don't you think it is going to be hard to grab that money-making opportunity?
>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
It's not bad, but it's a little bit confusing to me. Is "your company" selling to other countries or investing in them? "Received orders" seems to mean the company received a request for goods; that it sold to people in other countries.

"Investing over there," on the other hand, seems to mean building factories or in some other way paying other countries to supply "your company" with goods.

English-wise, "turning the market to China" is the only phrase that just sounds awkward to me. Depending on your meaning, you could say, "marketing in China" (trying to sell your goods in China) or "importing from China" (using China as a source for your goods).
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:19 pm
I got it. thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:37 pm
Your company often received orders from other countries, for instance, North Korea; but I heard recently you are turning the market to China. Since there have been so many companies currently investing over there, don’t you think it is going to be hard to grab that money-making opportunity?

but I heard recently you are turning the market to China
recently that you are turning to the China market.

Since there have been so many companies currently investing over there,
Since there are so many companies currently investing over there,

don’t you think it is going to be hard to grab that money-making opportunity?
The sense of this bothers me. If it's a money-making opportunity, then why is it hard. The problem is competition. How about, don't you think it's going to be hard to compete for a profitable share of that huge market.
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:01 pm
Roberta wrote:
How about, don't you think it's going to be hard to compete for a profitable share of that huge market.

thanks a lot, this is clearer.
0 Replies