Hired to create a logo but not paid, do i still own the rights

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:22 pm
I was hired to create a logo for a company startup. Which I did. I invoiced them after the work was done and they signed off on it. They never paid me for the word. So do I still own the copyright to the artwork and all files?

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:37 pm
@leschuler,
You should consult with a copyright attorney. However, I suspect you do own the rights - and you would have whether they had paid you or not, so long as the transference of rights wasn't specified in your contract.

You did have a contract, right?

Next time, make a contract, even a simple one. And try to get paid in advance, at least in part. I despise it when artists are taken advantage of, and this startup certainly did that to you. BTW, even without a written contract, in the US, you can still sue them in Small Claims court, so long as you are within the local jurisdictional limit.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 10:41 pm
@leschuler,
In the US? Go to small claims court to get your money.

If they are using the logo (signs, letterhead, web site) then you need a cease and desist ruling from a judge.

Never give a client the final version of a design until its paid for. Pur a proof mark on all rendering you do for proposals.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 10:52 pm
All this stuff. Also, half at concept and half for final product with code to remove watermark
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 09:12 am
Yeah, it gets complicated in that it could be perceived as a work for hire. Either way, though, of course -
* a contract is necessary, spelling out rights and the payment plan
* a third to a half payment up front
* specs and samples only get sent with watermarks
* final payment and then the code to remove the watermarks is provided
0 Replies