Best (economical) copyright strategy for releasing 1 song a month?

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2023 05:57 pm
I had some serious IP issues (people stealing our IP) with my last business that burnt me badly, and I just want to make sure to legally protect my songs.

I know it's very unlikely any copyright issue will ever arise, but I just want to do it right from the beginning, without breaking the bank in registering copyrights.

Is there a economical strategy anyone recommends, to copyright protect your songs, if you're releasing 1 song a month, and an EP/Album every 4-5 months?

Here's the ideas I had so far, though they either seem too expensive, or not ideal:

1. Registering a GRAM copyright every 3 months, for those 3+ songs ($65 x 2 to cover songwriting and masters = $130). This is to stay within the deadline of right to litigate for infringement for 3 months from publication.

2. Register Individual Published Work for each single ($45), then the last 2+ songs (and album) as a GRAM, including any album art on the singles and EP/Album ($65 x 2 to cover songwriting and masters). For 4 singles + the EP that would cost $310.

3. Wait to register all singles plus extra songs on EP as a GRAM, at the 5 month mark, upon releasing the EP/Album. ($65 x 2 to cover songwriting and masters = $130). The downside of this strategy is the first 2-3 singles would go a few months with no copyright protection. (If someone registered the copyrights before I did, it could be a legal mess. However I was thinking of cheaper services like Songuard or WGAWest, while not ideal, could be a good middle ground to register before registering the final EP at the 5 month mark, to establish date of creation and authorship.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 304 • Replies: 1

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2023 03:46 am
@QuestionAsker,
You're asking for legal advice which is agsinst T.O.S.

Ask a lawyer.
0 Replies